The ARRSE Beer Guide.

Forgot to mention, over in Ypres their doing a brew called Paschendale, it's on draft, but you can buy it in brown pint bottles. Cases of twelve bottles, or two bottle and two pint glass souvenir pack. Loverly stuff.

I am posting here for want of any other obvious appropriate forum in hopes of getting some sense of direction as to choice of beer(s) available in America that might pass muster for the British soldier's palate (I realize that may be an impossibility to many of you but I must do what I can under adverse circumstances ;-) )

I am hosting a unit of serving British soldiers who will be in America on a joint exercise. I happen to know the unit's OC and since I have my own firiing range and a rather fulsome assortment of weaponry for famfire, they are taking a few extra days for "adventure training" and will come here for a day of grins and giggles on the range (yes, "that rifle" will be available).

What I need are some recommendations for beer at the ENDEX barbecue. I am a teetotaler so have not a clue as to what might pass muster given the inherent disadvantage I am laboring under of being here rather than there in terms of what even passes for beer to the sophisticated British soldier's tastes.

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

What unit? If they were Germny based

download.jpg

or UK mongs

ci-stella-artois-f4762eb0a31c5839.jpeg

I am posting here for want of any other obvious appropriate forum in hopes of getting some sense of direction as to choice of beer(s) available in America that might pass muster for the British soldier's palate (I realize that may be an impossibility to many of you but I must do what I can under adverse circumstances ;-) )

I am hosting a unit of serving British soldiers who will be in America on a joint exercise. I happen to know the unit's OC and since I have my own firiing range and a rather fulsome assortment of weaponry for famfire, they are taking a few extra days for "adventure training" and will come here for a day of grins and giggles on the range (yes, "that rifle" will be available).

What I need are some recommendations for beer at the ENDEX barbecue. I am a teetotaler so have not a clue as to what might pass muster given the inherent disadvantage I am laboring under of being here rather than there in terms of what even passes for beer to the sophisticated British soldier's tastes.

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.
This was very popular in the 70's.

248690.jpg

Many thanks. Those are available. Unit is British -based combat arms.
Why would they want anything other than some of your excellent US craft beers? Whisper it...but youngsters drink less than us old buggers did back in the day as well.

TBH as long as it is not Fake Booze made out of rice and above 5% they probably won’t give a shit.

Why would they want anything other than some of your excellent US craft beers? Whisper it...but youngsters drink less than us old buggers did back in the day as well.
That is the first and probably last like you get from me

Last edited:
I doubt any one going was serving in the 70/80s
Good idea. I will try to have an assortment. There are supposedly several good ones in Atlanta.

Good idea. I will try to have an assortment. There are supposedly several good ones in Atlanta.
Craft beers will be for the SNCOs and Ruperts, not kids

Before I gave up alcohol for health reasons I was fond of Sierra Nevada & Las Lagunitas beers. The ones I’m thinking of pretty hoppy IPAs.

Brooklyn Brewery had some good stuff & Goose Island was reliable. First drank latter in Chicago when staying there.

The last proper bottled beer I had was Home Brewery Luncheon Ale. Quite simply, because I was young, and it was cheap. More of a stout than an ale, yet wonderfully flavourful.
A quick google informs me that the brewery sold out to Scottish and Newcastle in 1986 and the brewery was closed in 1996.
A local born entrepeuer has bought the name back from Heineken and started production of a Home Ales IPA.

Nottingham's Home Ales set to return to city after 20 years

For @jumpinjarhead Mackeson Stout.

In 2012 its ABV was lowered from 3% to 2.8% in order to qualify for duty relief. It is available in 330ml cans and 275ml bottles.
A 4.9% Mackeson's XXX is brewed by Carib Breweryin Trinidad for the local market where it is targeted at young men, with the advertising slogan "king of the night".[7] The Trinidadian version is a popular import into Hong Kong, and is among the top twenty highest selling beers there, selling over 5,000 hectolitres a year.[8]

British-brewed Mackeson's XXX was imported by a division of Hudepohl-Schoenling of Cincinnati for the US market. This division became Royal Imports after a restructuring in the late 1990s and for a brief while in the early 2000s Royal had the "Triple Stout" contracted brewed in the US, first at the former Hudepohl brewery now owned by Boston Beer Company and then at The Lion in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.

More at : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackeson_Stout

Latest Threads