The ARRSE Beer Guide.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by northern_warrior, Jun 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I am sat here cradling a nice bottle of Wells Bombardier, I got thinking about some of the unknown beers out there that my taste buds have yet to sample.

So here it is. The place to bang up our recommendations for a good tipple.

My personal poison of choice is Theakstons. A lovely bit of kit.

So come on fellow pissheads, give the world your recommendations for a good tipple.

Lets hear your thoughts and recommendations people of ARRSE land.

Cheers N_W.
  2. Well Northern Warrior why not try a "Mean Gruntle" more properly called a Greenmatle Ale.

You can have lots of fun this summer by checking out your local supermarket and trying out all the range of bottled beers - there's hundreds!!!!!

Just dinny test them in there - they dinny like that :D
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Prefer the other brewery in Masham.
    Black Sheep.
  4. Get down to London........Fullers ESB and London Pride
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Yea, I do like the black sheep oldbaldy, but have a serious addiction to Theakstons XB.....Tis nectar.

Especially in that big asda next to the corn exchange :wink:

Cheers N_W.
  6. I am a big fan of Badger Brewery myself. My recommendations are Poacher's Choice, Golden Glory and Golden Champion. mmmmmmmmmmmm...........
  7. Draught or bottled?

Draught: Fullers London Pride and Youngs Special are very nice beers daahn Sarf. Theakstons XB or anything by Jennings oop North is good, especially some of their seasonal brews. Archers of Swindon is a good brewery. Brains SA from the Principality... Lots of the small breweries do some cracking stuff. Nothing from Scotland!

Bottled: where do I start? Worthington White Shield is bloody nice. Wells Banana Bread beer is an acquired taste but I like it. Some of the Hobgoblin stuff ...

The Co-op is a good beer merchant and its own bottled beers (e.g. Freeminer and their Organic one) are good.

When it comes down toit it depends what mood I'm in. But its always nice thinking about it.
  8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Have a try of this:
    Heather ale
  9. Being an open minded chap, I will. And it may be that things are getting better north of the border, but historically it was never a good place for the discerning beer drinker.
  10. Plenty good ones north of the border, Belhaven are generally good.

Do Not try heather Ale, Fraoich tastes like a ginger jocks pish.
  11. Shweik you've never lived old boy!!!!

Heather Ale mmmmmmmm forgot about that one.

Yeah Northern dinny try it in that one near the Corn Exchange pmsl - thats if you can get near the beer for aw the chavs fighting over the white star cider section :D

Cheapest beer though - draught in many forms - is £1.50 in the Abbot on site at Chicksands. Before 7pm its only a £ - no need to head into town.

Fab!!! :D
  12. Sparky, if you are in the toon head out to Diggers for the best pint in Scotland
  13. God, that stuff's 'orrible!!

My favourite beers:

Young's Oatmeal Stout
    Thornbridge Jaipur (IPA)
    Fuller's London Porter
    Kelham Island - Easy Rider (Golden Ale)
    Abbeydale Black Mass (Stout, 6.66%!)
    Marston's Single Malt (Malted Brown Ale)
    Badger Golden Champion (Golden Ale) (certainly not Golden Glory, urgh, far too sweet and flowery)
    Chimay Bleu (Belgian, I know, but so good!)
    Timothy Taylor's Landlord (Bitter, but only if its on tap - the bottles taste of piss)
    Shepherd Neame Bishop's Finger (populist but still tasty Ruby Red Ale)
  14. Yes, I'd forgotton that. Very nice. A similar one is Exmoor Gold (don't know who brews it but its good)