The ARRSE Afghanistan Reading List

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Bad CO, Oct 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

All senior officers, etc publish their 'must read' list of books so I was wondering whether we should do something similar using the collective wisdom of ARRSE. To kick off, I thought I'd put together my thoughts on Afghanistan. Many of these books have been discussed on this board many times before but I was wondering whether anyone had any other suggestions.

BTW I know the Task Force 1 Fury book hasn't been released yet but I was involved in that op so it is a bit of vanity really!

2. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

3. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Interesting & a clear indication that I should have used the search button rather than just trawling through this forum. Mind you there isn't that much on either of those that comes under the term accessible! I was thinking of something that included all the key texts but also a few good stories too - Doug Beattie's book being an excellent example

4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I did say it was compiled by the more geeky elements of the Asserati. I will say that beyond some of the more academic stuff found on those threads, the list of books I provide contains a several memoirs and miltary histories that can be considered more accessible for the everday reader, that and they are all easily obtainable from Amazon, so there is no need for anyone to spend hours trawling for out-of-print books.

Was a bugger of job to find the two of those threads, the changeover has buggered up my bookmarks, luckily I had them saved in PM exchanges with Rumps.

5. Just to add to rampant's list, I suggest reading Ahmed Rashid's 'Taliban' and 'Descent into Chaos'. Both well-researched and readible.

David Kilcullen's 'The Accidental Guerrilla' is a good read on COIN in general, and has a chapter on Afghanistan (albeit written from the septic's side).