The Army saves us from a life of shelf stacking?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by tafmad, Jul 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I spotted this on the GOM provided, and I thought I woul share his wisdom with you. I am popping back there now to have a word or two with him.

D P Dance

My son served his country

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:40 am Post subject:

I agree with www, the army takes young men and women, often educational under achievers, disciplines them, educates them, and offers them exciting and challenging careers, full of sport, travel, and esprit de corps. The alternative is stacking shelves at Tesco.

At the end of their service, usually in their thirties, they are often highly employable, and able to command good salaries. The downside is that they work in dangerous environments; but no more so than firemen, police officers, and diplomats.

This young man died in combat, but he could equally as easily lost his life in a training exercise using live ammunition, or in a jungle training exercise.
    A Fully paid up member of the Berkshire Hunt
  2. He's got a point though. Don't be too harsh on 'em.
  3. I don't see any problem with those comments at all.
  4. I agree. Occasionally it can be uncomfortable to hear someone elses point of view - however he's made some valid points. Go in with reasoned arguement by all means but i'm not sure this warrants a site invasion.
  5. What bit don't you like? The idea that many soldiers would only be working as shelf stackers? The ranking alongside the emergency services and (bizarrely) diplomats? The arguably complacent view over a tragic death?
  6. Diplomats in dangerous environments? I suppose there's always the danger of choking on a Ferrero Rocher at the Ambassador's party.
  7. They get screened and risk-assessed for nut allergies
  8. Remember, we all keep banging on about 'Yoof of today, a spell in the Army will sort 'em out'. And thats our view looking out.

The choice for a young chap or chapess today who bins school, comes from a 'deprived area' and faces zero prospects could be sticking needles in his arm, robbing old grannies or if he's really lucky, stacking shelves. The Armed Forces is still the only way out for some. Those that do tend to learn very quickly that there is more to life than the shite they have come from.

I joined at a time when the choice was still join up or get banged up.
  9. There is always McDonalds....
  10. I met a Gunner major a few years ago who had the MC for extracting a group of diplomats from a murderous mob, and IIRC there was a military attache who could be regarded as a diplomat, murdered in Greece a couple of years ago.
  11. I signed up so i could avoid stacking shelves or flippin burgers in mcdonalds, but because the application to the army has taken so long (3 interviews, a medical, PT tests, 2 eye tests, getting hold of offical documents etc etc) ive found myself unemployed and still waiting for my date and joining instructions. SO regardless of hoping to join a proud honourable job serving in the british army, im now actually applying for a job at mcdonalds :D
    Whatever happened to the days of bieng able to sign the dotted line and then have no choice about bieng in the army?
  12. Dont see whats wrong with his comments.
  13. I love a quiz....

14. We are more selective now than when I joined up. Which makes me lucky that I'm not trying to join up now I suppose. :)
  15. Is being more selective a good or bad thing? Obviously you'll help to find only those best suited, but at the same time you'll have a much lower amount of recruits and subsequently a smaller army.

I don't know what the current numbers of successful recruits are compared with what they were. Perhaps someone old enough could answer that for me?