The Army reserve now compare to 2010

the_creature

War Hero
Bit quiet this side of arrse, Did the SDSR take the wind out of our sails all those years ago? How has the changes effected your unit? Has the dead wood from the Glorious TA days filtered out, Or are they still clutching on with their finger nails?

A bit of both i can imagine. I would say the creation of new battalions in my regiment diluted the man power quite drastically. However the type of infanteer seems to be better quality, probaby due to longer and remodelled basic training courses. NCO's seem to be improving due to beat up training and intigrated courses with the regulars, generally the attitute towards reserves has improved alot since 2010. It's not perfect, but i don't miss the cold war warrior mindset that's for sure.

Last edited:
Bit quiet this side of arrse, Did the SDSR take the wind out of our sails all those years ago? How has the changes effected your unit? Has the dead wood from the Glorious TA days filtered out, Or are they still clutching on with their finger nails?

A bit of both i can imagine. I would say the creation of new battalions in my regiment diluted the man power quite drastically. However the type of infanteer seems to be better quality, probaby due to longer and remodelled basic training courses. NCO's seem to improving due to beat up training and intigrated courses with the regulars, generally the attitute towards reserves has improved alot since 2010. It's not perfect, but i don't miss the cold war warrior mindset that's for sure.
But what about the quality of the different pubs you get to visit each weekend?

A bit of both i can imagine. I would say the creation of new battalions in my regiment diluted the man power quite drastically. However the type of infanteer seems to be better quality, probaby due to longer and remodelled basic training courses. NCO's seem to improving due to beat up training and intigrated courses with the regulars, generally the attitute towards reserves has improved alot since 2010. It's not perfect, but i don't miss the cold war warrior mindset

popcornHOR-11.png

Dread

LE
A bit of both i can imagine. I would say the creation of new battalions in my regiment diluted the man power quite drastically. However the type of infanteer seems to be better quality, probaby due to longer and remodelled basic training courses. NCO's seem to improving due to beat up training and intigrated courses with the regulars, generally the attitute towards reserves has improved alot since 2010. It's not perfect, but i don't miss the cold war warrior mindset that's for sure.

A quick question about the bit in bold : are you saying the new battalions are short of soldiers?

If you have a look here: Quarterly service personnel statistics 1 October 2021

The numbers show that total Army Reserve strength is currently 29,750 - a fraction under the proposed 'full strength' of the AR of 30,100. Admittedly that includes recruits as trained strength (completed Phase 1 training) is 26,350.

So if you're short of bods, it means that some AR Commanding Officers are up to the old trick of keeping people on the books who haven't turned up and have no intention of ever turning up far past their clearance date.

the_creature

War Hero
A quick question about the bit in bold : are you saying the new battalions are short of soldiers?

If you have a look here: Quarterly service personnel statistics 1 October 2021

The numbers show that total Army Reserve strength is currently 29,750 - a fraction under the proposed 'full strength' of the AR of 30,100. Admittedly that includes recruits as trained strength (completed Phase 1 training) is 26,350.

So if you're short of bods, it means that some AR Commanding Officers are up to the old trick of keeping people on the books who haven't turned up and have no intention of ever turning up far past their clearance date.
Well obviously there might be some number manipulation with the figures, who they count in their figures as "trained soldiers" ect. We became a new battalion so we lost alot of experience due to the change, then had to recruit and man new out stations ect which has taken years. Hope this makes sense

Last edited:

Bold... No, I'm still in.

Some aspects of AR life have improved, some haven't, but there may be reasons beyond the changes that have caused that.
I agree that training is better on the whole and, in our case, we've integrated fairly well with our regular BNs.
Opportunities to train with Regular units has played a large part in this.
However, it's not all good news. I've noticed that troops get badgered on a near daily basis now with reminders, tasks, changes etc- you just can't forget about Army for a single day. This never used to be the case, although it may be partly due to changes in the ease of instant communication that is to blame, rather than the system needing to badger people. It's probably a bit of both. I remember the glory days when you could attend a training event and pretty much forget about the Army until the next one, it's not the case these days and it wears blokes out.
And don't forget, it was the old school TAs that sent tens of thousands of troops to Iraq and AFG, and we all volunteered to go, we can't have been that bad.

Some aspects of AR life have improved

At least the AR is being paid. At this point in 2010, pay had been stopped. I joined the OTC in 2009 and pretty well immediately all training pay was stopped. I know OTCs were pretty low hanging fruit, but I seem to remember that it wasn't just OTCs they went after. Happy to be corrected though.

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
At least the AR is being paid. At this point in 2010, pay had been stopped. I joined the OTC in 2009 and pretty well immediately all training pay was stopped. I know OTCs were pretty low hanging fruit, but I seem to remember that it wasn't just OTCs they went after. Happy to be corrected though.
It wasn't just OTCs.

I remember getting a call for a UK Op and asking about pay, to be told no MTDs (MTDs was normal for the tasks we did at short notice, due to mobilisation delays).

We got an excemption fairly quickly.

I suspect in 2010 the average reserve had one medal. They now have four…still never deployed past the camp gate, unless to Greggs.

QRK2

LE
Bold... No, I'm still in.

Some aspects of AR life have improved, some haven't, but there may be reasons beyond the changes that have caused that.
I agree that training is better on the whole and, in our case, we've integrated fairly well with our regular BNs.
Opportunities to train with Regular units has played a large part in this.
However, it's not all good news. I've noticed that troops get badgered on a near daily basis now with reminders, tasks, changes etc- you just can't forget about Army for a single day. This never used to be the case, although it may be partly due to changes in the ease of instant communication that is to blame, rather than the system needing to badger people. It's probably a bit of both. I remember the glory days when you could attend a training event and pretty much forget about the Army until the next one, it's not the case these days and it wears blokes out.
And don't forget, it was the old school TAs that sent tens of thousands of troops to Iraq and AFG, and we all volunteered to go, we can't have been that bad.

Not correct. Voluntary/"Intelligent" mobilisation only became the general rule around Telic 6 or thereabouts.

Not correct. Voluntary/"Intelligent" mobilisation only became the general rule around Telic 6 or thereabouts.
In my experience, starting at T3, it was "intelligent". I don't know anyone, or of anyone, who was mobilised in any other way.

QRK2

LE
In my experience, starting at T3, it was "intelligent". I don't know anyone, or of anyone, who was mobilised in any other way.

You obviously have a rather narrow group of acquaintances. Still, whatever quibbles on the timing, my basic point is unchanged.

the_creature

War Hero
you just can't forget about Army for a single day. This never used to be the case, although it may be partly due to changes in the ease of instant communication that is to blame, rather than the system needing to badger people. It's probably a bit of both.
Bold.....Absolutley agree, Telegram groups, whatsapp groups, groups for groups sake, always hammered by the chain about various things, in a way its easy to pass things on rather than email or word of mouth, but annoying at best day to day. Regs are no different so probaby abit of both.

Bold.....Absolutley agree, Telegram groups, whatsapp groups, groups for groups sake, always hammered by the chain about various things, in a way its easy to pass things on rather than email or word of mouth, but annoying at best day to day. Regs are no different so probaby abit of both.
in my job it is against the Law to take my phone into work so I can happily ignore everything if I want to until the next drill night that I am in with the response of “I was at work told you you’re not getting immediate responses”
one of the good things was that during the first lockdown the PSAO started a weekly update email that got sent to everybodys civilian email address with all the relevant defence connect links for upcoming events in it and they have kept this up

I enjoy seeing the screenshots on FYB from jumped up NCOs etc threatening blokes via WhatsApp, or demanding to be called by their rank in the group chat.

Cyber sign of the times I suppose.

A PAYG 'spare' mobile for AR, or in my case contract work, helps manage the constant stream of data. It is switched off every evening having learnt my lesson during a previous contract. I think their definition of day rate meant all day!

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
I am sometimes guilty of this, but then again, mostly passing stuff on that has come to me during the regular working day, despite me being a reserve.

I am organising an AT exped that is happening soon and have a participants group. Have I hassled the attendees for stuff when they are late sending me stuff? Yes.

Mostly though it is used to keep them updated on progress, as if you don't people complain about not being told anything....

A PAYG 'spare' mobile for AR, or in my case contract work, helps manage the constant stream of data. It is switched off every evening having learnt my lesson during a previous contract. I think their definition of day rate meant all day!

This is the answer to managing comms.

Switch it on when you want to receive/send, off when you don't.

Anyone complains about that, let them know you're simply just unavailable when it's off.

Latest Threads