The Army-Issue Water Bottle

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by Bert, May 6, 2004.

?
  1. Yes - the IA drill is the same as for a damaged SUSAT

42.2%
  2. No - it truly is tougher than Chobham's

57.8%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. an essential item of kit everyone is issued, and it works under any conditions.

claims to be made of 'unbreakable black plastic' - anyone seen Terminator? the bit at the end where Sarah O'Connor crushes the Terminator in the ... erm ... crushing thing?

well, the Terminator may not have survived - but would the Water bottle?*

<Bert sits back>

*one might question what the issue Water Bottle had done to deserve such a punishment if it found itself in said situation, i doubt its capabilities to act independantly in the role of an assassin...

2. Bert you truley are a numpty :)

Why dont you and the water bottle both get under the crushing thingymabob and we'll all take bets on which who gives up the ghost first? :wink:

3. you make a very interesting point here, central to this topic -

if the water bottle was indestructable as it implies, then the person would survive.

how did the humble current-issue water bottle attain such a Shao-lin state of invulnerability?

<Bert smiles>

4. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

Not true, I've had mine freeze so that the lid could not be opened... That was arrse.

5. fair point - i recognise my oversight, although I take it the ability of your issue water bottle to store water was never compromised during this incident - and I take it the water bottle worked fine when it had 'thawed'?

so the quest continues, with a refined task:

<Bert wanders...>

6. anyone experienced this?

7. Yes,

I left 'one' of mine ( the one for swanning about on expeds) half filled /half empty . Containing orange juice and vodka I recall.Down in the Falklands in 89. I left it in my room in the "Dark Star" . A couple of days later a loud 'carump' came from the locker followed by a bit of a pong. Said Vodka/Orange mix had fremented and the bottle had cracked. I must say though it had only ruptured down one of the side 'welds'?

Quite amazing.

8. Though I too agree that they should be trialling the plastic (or is it? - kryptonite maybe?) they use for the waterbottles as armour plating for the next generation AFV (delay: 10 years and counting), I have to say the crappy bit that attaches the lid to the bottle-neck when it's unscrewed is, er, crappy.

My water bottle's ability to fulfil it's water bottle type tasking is severely restricted when the fooking lid is lying in a gorse bush because I've dropped it in the dark. Or, at least, it would be, if I'd ever done that. Normally I just hold it in the hand I'm not holding the water bottle with. But if I only had one hand, what would I do then?!? Nobody thought of that, did they!!! Discrimination against one handed military personnel shouldn't be allowed in the modern army.

9. What is the point of this thread? If you need to worry about broken water bottles, the OTC is your LoE.

No further correspondance will be entered into.

:roll:

10. The same point as the Hot Chocolate powder thread... It's exam time, we're supposed to be working, and we're not.

11. Well said. I personally haven't had many water bottle related dilemmas, except for the little bit that holds the lid on thingy. However I have enjoyed reading the thread, beats revision.

12. The Army Water bottle is made of the same material as the Army issue mug. How come if the bottle is armour plated, how does the mug always end up with a bloody great crack in it and you spend most of your time with gloves on or burnt hands................

13. When extremely bored on a course a mate and I discovered that the issue mug yields after fifteen minutes sustained beating with a crowbar.... or after a session on the Sandhurst assault course (when the waterbottle inside is full)...

The mind boggles eh?

14. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Surely if the water has frozen, the item in question is no longer a water bottle but an ice bottle...

:lol:

15. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I apologise for my last post...

...and I haven't even touched alcohol since Apr 7th.