The Army is fond of PowerPoint slides

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by 123, Nov 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 123

123 LE

And it is fond of sound bites. And it is fond of combining the two, but does it do so to a good effect? Is there a coherent understanding and common goal throughout all army ranks and units and across all army corps?

The Army usually presents conceptually, using shapes and colours and parlance borrowed from elsewhere as well as creating its own. Is a conceptual presentation the surest way of communicating?
  2. No, shouting, screaming and threatening people is.

Next question?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. 123

123 LE

ive not had a choc ice for a great many years. Are they still available to buy?
  4. Haven't got a clue what you're on about pal.
  5. Never used Powerpoint in my "Taking you a stage further .....etc" presentations.
    You're not allowed to call them choc ices anymore. The Yanks have pinched it as they can't use the "N" word anymore. Nowadays you have to have Magnums, Vanilla flavoured ices covered in synthetic cocoa substitute or Madagascan dessert. And you have to advertise them using as much sex as you can (picture blonde sucking on end of stick, licking lips and going "Oooohhhh".
  6. msr

msr LE

No. The average military powerpoint based presentation is just as crap as its counterparts in industry and academia.

If you want to improve your slides here are a few references:

Presentation Secrets: Alexei Kapterev: Books

Books | Think Outside The Slide

The Presentation Coach: Bare Knuckle Brilliance For Every Presenter: Graham Davies: Books

Beyond Bullet Points 3rd Edition: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire Business Skills: Cliff Atkinson: Books

7. I really hate to respond to a point this dry. However.

No. The Army is utterly crap at powerpoint, because:

1.) The people writing them fail to understand that one size does not fit every audience. Dare I say YOs are a major victim of this, sitting through 1+1=2 presentations because no-one can be bothered to tailor them.

2.) They are often used as a substitute for actual teaching, which must involve a degree of interaction with the subject.

3.) Further to that, they are too often used as a 'box ticking' exercise. IM level 1 for example. The army mandates it, and no-one cares about it, either delivering or receiving it.

4.) They have an unfortunate tendency to be given by people who've been given a script 2 minutes before, and who haven't the wit or the motivation to deliver them with any spark of interest or sense of who their audience are.

They epitomise the kind of management doublespeak balls that I joined the army to avoid.

There is cohesion across the army in that, whichever corps you go to, you will find most people can count the number of useful and relevant pictorial PPT slides they've seen on one hand.
  8. Ah, the ol' yellow on blue.

Being a recipient of said PowerPoint presentations day in day out and having been so for some time, I've come to realise they're actually similar to a lot of kit I've gotten to use: not very aesthetically pleasing, could be majorly improved with a bit of TLC, not a lot of effort put into their design and hopelessly flawed in many important areas.

But they just about do the job.
  9. Never had this problem with View Foils!.........................
    • Like Like x 2

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Been a while since there was an excuse to post this on Arrse. Outstanding use of Powerpoint.

Attached Files:

11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I'd say that is 5 days work at £2,200 per day. Get in. Do you need another one?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The good thing about viewfoils was that they were hard to make up properly, and so a degree of thought had to be devoted to the process. Every single organisation with more than 50 employees in the world now uses Powerpoint, and most of them do it in the spirit of incompetent communication which the Dilbert cartoon (above) exemplifies. There are significant exceptions, but they're very few. I can't count the number of ghastly presentations I've endured, one of the worst being from a hugely overpaid training consultant a few months ago who tried to impart the dubious secrets of 'Safety Leadership' to the managers in my company. Hanging's too good.
  13. 123

123 LE

What is safety leadership?