The Army Catering Corps at the Battle of Mirbat

Chris Ryan may have. I remember The One That Got Away described how, unusually, he'd hung around with a SAS(R) unit, in Ponteland springs to mind, and joined a reserve SAS unit without a parent cap badge, which certainly then was unusual.
Without googlefu I recollect that Mr Ryan did selection for 23, passed then applied for selection in 22, passed and went regular.

Chris Ryan may have. I remember The One That Got Away described how, unusually, he'd hung around with a SAS(R) unit, in Ponteland springs to mind, and joined a reserve SAS unit without a parent cap badge, which certainly then was unusual.
According to his book, he was sent to Para depot to get fecked about for a few months and this then became his parent unit.

What regiment shows up when he was gazetted for his MM? As far as I'm aware SF awards are never gazetted as 22 SAS etc

I didnt know you could attempt selection as a civvie?
Dick went straight into 22.

I tried to find his obituary earlier. He and I worked in MOD together and I knew he was a bit poorly. I went off to Bosnia and the first I knew of his demise was that obit, which went into details of his rather remarkable entry into SF, facts that I had no idea about beforehand.

According to his book, he was sent to Para depot to get fecked about for a few months and this then became his parent unit.

What regiment shows up when he was gazetted for his MM? As far as I'm aware SF awards are never gazetted as 22 SAS etc
In those times, reservist personnel, completing selection were then sent for regular service induction, usually at Depot Para.
Commonwealth military personalities were advised to gravate towards the then R Sqn. based in Bradbury Lines / Stirling Lines., complete selection and subsequently adopt a parent regiment, again usually the Parachute Regiment.

Again, in those times, it took 6 years before guys were considered for ''permanent cadre'., undertaking Junior & Senior Brecon courses in addition to the respective SF skills training.

As for the 'civvie' dimension - I recall a 17 year old son of an SAS officer who had been killed in the Radfan, being allowed to participate on Ex Endurance. In truth he may have undertaken other aspects of test week, but I can quite recall the full detail.