The Army Catering Corps at the Battle of Mirbat

I found out today is the anniversary of the Battle of Mirbat (19/07/72) and during a read of a tribute I noted that the SAS lost two troopers during the battle.

One leapt out at me as having a rather unique background. Trooper Thomas Tobin had joined the SAS from the Army Catering Corps and served with B Squadron.

He was killed in the gun pit at Mirbat and was posthumously awarded the DCM.

It got me wondering if this was the most unusual "route" into the SAS?

He was killed in the gun pit at Mirbat and was posthumously awarded the DCM.

It got me wondering if this was the most unusual "route" into the SAS?
Tom died a number of weeks after being retrieved to the Millbank Hospital in UK.

As for part two of your query, not that unusual. One of the Bradbury Lines chefs a Jamaican gent ended in B Sqn around the same time and soon followed by a DI from RAF Swinderby.

Tom died a number of weeks after being retrieved to the Millbank Hospital in UK.
I did wonder about the dates as I found an obituary that said he passed away on the 25th of October. The snippet I read on the web said the 19th of July.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I know of another cook, chef who back in the early 80's attempted SAS selection and I later found out that he passed. Don't know what became of him though.

In the 70's they use to send recruiting teams out to all the Regiments, marched into the camp cinema and you will attend the presentation! I enjoyed it, seemed better than getting slaughtered on Herforder every night, but any in the Regiment could apply.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I know of another cook, chef who back in the early 80's attempted SAS selection and I later found out that he passed. Don't know what became of him though.
Stationed in Osnabrück 82-85, Zero Alpha told me she'd been chatting with another wife. Seems other wife, her husband was a chef, but regularly disappeared without warning, and she'd get a postcard via Bundespost from somewhere exotic and normal squaddies didn't get posted.for

Go figure.

Lt Col AA "Dick" Arthur.

Ex RM, fought on CORPORATE , left, then, bored, did selection as a civvie. Passed, much to everyone's surprised and had to be commissioned quick sticks. So he chose his father's capbadge - RAOC - in which he never served being badged throughout right up until his untimely death from cancer in, as I recall, the late 1990s.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
21 or 23 so they tell me.
Chris Ryan may have. I remember The One That Got Away described how, unusually, he'd hung around with a SAS(R) unit, in Ponteland springs to mind, and joined a reserve SAS unit without a parent cap badge, which certainly then was unusual.