The Army and "Green" issues?

I have cut and pasted the below extract from Army (propaganda) Net. (Am I allowed to do that?)

Do they really believe that we really believe in all this carbon footprint, make you feel guilty about using energy bollocks?

£5 million out of the MOD budget to implement carbon efficient solutions? Money well spent?

Not in my opinion. Lets try and save the planet while China and the USA spew out millions of tonnes of carbons every second. :roll:

Why not just tell the soldiers to switch the lights off? What are QM's for?

The "Train Green" video was bad enough but now this. :roll:

World Environment Day – Wear Green/ Think Green
With World Environment Day – June 5 – fast approaching the Chief of Staff is urging all those in green to ‘wear green and think green’. Events are planned across the globe and all military units are urged to spread the word and take steps towards a greener way of life.

What is it?

World Environment Day is a worldwide event sponsored and facilitated by the United Nations Environment programme. It was first held 1972. The UN’s aim is to make the global population aware of its environment and prompt individuals and governments to take action.
Kick the Habit! Towards a Low Carbon Economy

The World Environment Day slogan for 2008 is Kick the Habit! Towards a Low Carbon Economy. Recognising that climate change is becoming the defining issue of our era, UNEP is asking countries, companies and communities to focus on greenhouse gas emissions and how to reduce them. The World Environment Day will highlight resources and initiatives that promote low carbon economies and life-styles, such as improved energy efficiency, alternative energy sources, forest conservation and eco-friendly consumption.

How Can You Celebrate World Environment Day?

World Environment Day can be celebrated in many ways, including street rallies, bicycles parades, green concerts, essay and poster competitions in schools, tree planting, recycling efforts, clean-up campaigns and much more. In many countries, this annual event is used to enhance political attention and action.

ArmyNET Cycle to Work Campaign

We are teaming up with Halfords who have agreed to offer all ArmyNET users 15% discount on their cycles and cycle accessories, they have also agreed to offer a bike as a competition prize for the official launch of the campaign. During the campaign we will be running competitions and polling user opinion on the desire to see the adoption of the official Cycle to Work Scheme. Visit the Campaign Website...

Is the Army Doing Anything Already

Yes, the Army’s Chief Environment and Safety Officer has commissioned consultants to work out our carbon footprint and see where we can make savings. What is clear already is that over 50% of our carbon footprint is caused by energy use in buildings and 10% is due to the waste we generate. As a result of the study there will be concerted efforts to recycle waste and save energy. A central MOD fund of £5m was established last year to cover additional costs of implementing carbon efficient solutions. Most energy is consumed in creating heat whether it is for central heating or boiling a kettle.

ugly

LE
It would be very green not to fly around the world bombing people but then thats not very neutral either so why dont they wind their collective necks in and get on with fighting 2 wars!

TheBigUn said:
I the Army’s Chief Environment and Safety Officer has commissioned consultants to work out our carbon footprint and see where we can make savings.
I can see at least one salery we can save, straight away....