The Army and Eyesight - JSP950 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

I have gone through a bit of a storm with regards to an Army Officers application. Originally, whilst at Uni I applied to join the Reserves to get some experience whilst I was at uni. Only problem being that I had glasses, but i was not at the time (Sept 2013) outside the eyesight standards. These standards changed October 2013, meaning i was outside of them and was given a medical rejection at Pirbright.

Subsequently, I underwent laser eye surgery to correct this issue. No more glasses, vision well within the PULHEEMS standards as well as my 'prescription' being slap bang in the middle of the +6 to -6 range that the Army want. However, having gone through the process, waited for the surgery to take effect and for my eyes to settle, and waiting the 12 months the Army wanted to show that they were stable with eye test results, I sent off a medical appeal only to be told that JSP950 says that because my eyesight was outside the +6 to -6 BEFORE I had the surgery, I am illegible for Military Service with my now near perfect eyesight.

My question is this: The JSP950 states that I must provide appropriate documents to prove that "The total preoperative refractive error was not outside the limits for selection, and in no case than +6.00 or -6.00 diopter [Equivalent Spherical Error (ESE)] in either eye." Is that not a bit ridiculous to suggest that someone has to be within the Army's limits already when referring to laser eye surgery? Surely, as with any surgery, if it fixes the issue, its the finished product that is taken into account, not the issue still being considered?

Apologies if i have put this in the wrong forum, but I am somewhat stunned by it all.

Hi, I am also outside the eyesight standards and I would like to get laser eye surgery. Do you know if the rules have changed at all or are you still illegible?

h723 The ruling hasn't changed so far as I'm aware. You're pre-operative refractive error has to be between -6 to +6 dioptres. Best course of action is to get the surgery privately and not disclose that you had surgery.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
h723 The ruling hasn't changed so far as I'm aware. You're pre-operative refractive error has to be between -6 to +6 dioptres. Best course of action is to get the surgery privately and not disclose that you had surgery.
And that's a great start to your military career, lying to the recruitment staff!

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
And that's a great start to your military career, lying to the recruitment staff!

Well it has been a couple of weeks since we had the last suggestion of lying on an application.
Shall I post what happens to people who lie on the medical application when caught out? or shall I just leave it?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well it has been a couple of weeks since we had the last suggestion of lying on an application.
Shall I post what happens to people who lie on the medical application when caught out? or shall I just leave it?
Post it, so @Marshy95 can see what the repercussions of giving advice about lying to recruits are and so that @h723 can learn something!

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Post it, so @Marshy95 can see what the repercussions of giving advice about lying to recruits are and so that @h273 can learn something!

trouble is, they don't learn

I feel for you but the way to get the files changed is to contact someone who can make your case for you. In this day and age it seems wrong to punish someone for something which was rectified by surgery and now isn't a problem. It's hard enough to get recruits so turning away someone for this after its corrected is wrong!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Switchback

War Hero
Post it, so @Marshy95 can see what the repercussions of giving advice about lying to recruits are and so that @h723 can learn something!

I'm not saying it is "the right thing to do" but in the circumstances where disclosure would leave you ineligible to apply, then the worst thing that not telling them could lead to would be you still aren't able to join, whereas best case scenario is that you could.

I have a good friend who did exactly that, went in as a Warfare Officer in the RN, passed out from Dartmouth, served at sea and has subsequently left the navy and he was never rumbled.

It is not something I would've done, and I can't advocate it.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I feel for you but the way to get the files changed is to contact someone who can make your case for you. In this day and age it seems wrong to punish someone for something which was rectified by surgery and now isn't a problem. It's hard enough to get recruits so turning away someone for this after its corrected is wrong!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

they are not being punished, They (and the forces) are being protected. there are good reasons for not accepting people who have had surgery to correct eyesight that didn't meet the standards before the surgery.

The_Duke

LE
1. Advice to lie is not good advice on here.

2. There is a perfectly good medical sticky thread. Please use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads