The Army & Accountability for F**kups

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by MrBane, Apr 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

My Missus at work:
    "We're sending you on a course next week for some continuation training. If you're taking your own car, fill this form out and keep the receipts for expenses. You'll get £12 a day for food and the hotel is already booked. Have a good course!"

Me at work:

*Drives there, arrives*
    "Who are you? Course? No. Accomodation? You're not booked in, have nothing to give you. Drive to the other barracks thirty minutes away and we'll put you up there. Fuel expenses for driving back and forth? No. Don't think so."

A simple example, but one we've all experienced. Why do we get shafted continually over things like this, when a civilian wouldn't?

I know, this is the Army, deal with it.
    How about, No?

The Army, I feel, is split into two halves.
    The operational / pre-deployment training half, ie the Soldiering half, and the cosy, soft, courses, training development, career advancement. ie the Civviy side.

Now I agree, on the Soldiering half, deal with it and overcome, but on the Civviy half, ie courses, why is no-one held to blame when you get screwed over? Why do you have to fix other peoples mistakes? Why is it always;
    "It's the CMO's fault. Oh well."
    Why is no-one ever dragged over the coals for screwing us over?

Even with JPA:
    "It's a fault with the system. It can't be fixed."
    Yes it can, and in that office, somewhere, is someone directly responsible for it. How about showing me some respect and fixing my problems you have created?

If companies a hundred times bigger than the British Army, withthousands more staff, can manage it, why can't we?

People need to start sticking up for themselves. The Army is changing, it wants to change, and as such, we need to be given more damn respect for our rights as people, not soldiers.

Rant over.
  2. You should have asked what time the transport will be picking me up from the other accommodation and returning me each day. When you would be met with shock. Say fine ok off home now will rebook.
  3. Rule one: The Army is always right...

Rule two: See rule one.

Rule three: If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined...
  4. MrBane

:) MT refused to spare a vehicle and driver for one person. Asked for a vehicle to be signed to me so I could refuel at the POL, and they refused to provide a vehicle for one person 30 minutes away.
    Can of worms.
    One gets it, everyone wants it.

Genuinely, I'm not too fussed about the fuckups, it happens everywhere. My biggest gripe, is that it happens time, and time, and time, and time again. No-one seems to learn, because no-one seems to be punished for making those kind of mistakes.
    Accountability is a bad word in this place.
  5. These days I find my own car is frequently unavailable for business (Army) use. MT car or go to hire are the only acceptable options (oh and a fuel card please!).
  6. "Sorry my insurance doesn't cover me for business use so I can't use my own car". Actually your insurance might well cover you but no one is going to check.
  7. Go to your unit AO, drag him round to the RSMs office, berrate him about his state of organisational skills, then tell the RSM to accompany both of you as a witness to his sorry state of affairs as an administrator.
    Alternatvely, learnfrom experience that the Army will always win and no soldier likes to be compared with a civilian.
    Unless they are female of course.
  8. When I was younger I vowed that the cockups I encountered as a Pte/jnco wouldn't be repeated when I was in a position to do anything about them. I can't claim to have fixed everything but I had a bloody good try once I reached the Sgts mess.
  9. MrBane

I admit that I don't like being compared to a civilian, except where it's pertinent, which in this case, I feel it is, for the simple fact that there is no reasonable nor acceptable excuse for the piss-poor administration that takes place in the upper levels of command.

If it were set against a backdrop of war-fighting or active operations, then you understand and accept that fastballs, cock-ups and admin errors will take place, due to stress, workload, pace of command, etcetc. However, in a cushy office, with everything you need at your fingertips, and no external pressures per'se, it's pretty damn shocking.

Take course-loading. It's usually the biggest area of complaint, as I demonstrated in my initial post.
    Why is it such a problem? Because the people that are getting paid the money to do the job, don't do it when they should, but when they feel like it.

We've all been there; it's post-tour in the barracks, everything's quiet, nothing to be done. You're effectively killing time until the pre-deployment training kicks in again in about a years time if you're lucky.
    So people should be sent off on courses, but most of them aren't.
    Because the people that should be putting their men first, are too busy sorting themselves out for jollies and arrsing about.

I don't compare myself to a civilian, because the real job I do, the war-fighting aspect, cannot be compared.
    The barracks-based administration however, can most definately be compared. As I say, there are two sides to a soldier life.
    1: When he's on a war footing, with training, etc
    2: When he's not, ie; barrack duty, no war fighting planned for at least a year

During phase 2, we're more like civilians than we'd like to admit. You change the uniform and change the descriptions, you'd be hard put to define us from most civilian companies in what's actually going on. Personnel administration, paperwork, etc.

It just annoys me that people not only aren't held to blame for shortcomings and failings which can have massive knock-on effects on someones career, to people almost feeling like they don't have to do anything, because they know, nothing will happen, and hey, 'It'll get done next week.'

Many of us have had a career knock because we weren't put on that course on that date. Might not be much, or it could be huge, but it all impacts.

Simply because someone else can't get it right.