The Armed Forces Veterans Association

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by firthy, Jul 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Armed Forces Veterans

Please can someone help us out here, we are considering becoming affiliated with these people at this charity in England (we are in Spain). We raise money for Help for Heroes and after a recent email from The Armed Forces Veterans Association I would like to know more about them, they have asked us to separate ourselves from H4H as they are; (quoted from their email)

"Like your website, only thing is we're not in favour of help for
    heroes. They have directors receiving £100,000 pounds a year being
    taken from donations from the public.

They are also building 6 rehab centres all over the country at a cost
    of 60 million per centre, once built like the one in Ediburgh, they are
    abandoning them leaving the NHS to run them and no financing for the up

Now the NHS say they can't afford to staff them, so all they're doing
    is preventing money going to the real vets charities, that help wounded
    vets direct. It's Rupert Murdoch that runs help for heroes from the Sun
    Newspapers and Sky TV. It's gone a long way down hill from the couple
    that started it in Wales.

If you don't mind could you ask your website builder to remove any
    reference to help for heroes from the website as we do not agree with
    their policies on paying directors outragous sums of money which
    was initially donated to help veterans.

We personally applied to H4H for a grant to help a vet that lost two
    arms and a leg in Iraq, they turned us down saying they don't give vets
    grants. So to us H4H is a pile of shit making cash for the rich not for
    the wounded vets."

I know a lot of us have raised money for H4H and I don`t think this rings true. We are trying to decide whether to join TAFVA or not. If I find it to be untrue I`ll forward all of this to Help 4 Heroes, Thanks for your help.
  2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Ah as per all good propaganda theres stuff in there thats true, kinda true and not true at all :)

personally I don't give to help 4 heroes because it annoys the tits off me that that directors were all driving DB9's. (probably petty jealousy on my part as I cant currently afford a DB9 not that I'd get one as I think a maserati gran turismo looks much nicer)

However i do believe that there are issues that need to be sorted out at h4h and until then I'll be giving to Hols4H and the RBL.
  3. Thank you for your prompt reply can I have some more input please.
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

well you should be able to get a copy of the annual return and that will tell you where the money is going. Make and FOI request in relation to the future staffing issues of the rehab centre.

Has rupert murdoch replaced mandleson as the prince of darkness now then ? think about it!

H4H not helping Vets. heard that before they say its something to do with the trust deed I believe but apparently other people who know better say that it can be changed.

My opinion... based on uninformed choice and probably ignorance I still won't be giving them money as i give to Hols4h and the RBL oh and probably St Dunstans this year too.
  5. If you think that H 4 H appears a poor deal for VETS, just ask where the money goes if given to SSAFA. They do not give/fund any personal support and they have at least three 'controllers/Directors' who are on six figure salaries, expenses/ pensions whilst still drawing Generals retirement pay. One other seriously well paid director/exec achieved 'star' ranking behind the till in the NAAFI (but dont drop your change in front of him)
  6. Blatantly untrue - it's the SSAFA AGM today and figures will be available to all so check them out - you will also see where the money goes - Adoption Service, Disabled Children's holidays, siblings holidays, Grants (yes, SSAFA does also make grants), Confidential Helpline, SSAFA Norton Homes at Headley Court and Selly Oak - just a few examples....... plus the network of Branches helping Serving and ex-service personnel and their families manned by 7,000 volunteers.
    Doesn't make much sense to complain about Generals and NAAFI staff being hired even if you are a very-old-git - actually only one retired General is employed - others are volunteers..... as am I - ex Q/Private