The Armed Forces Memorial lottery funding please vote

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by thegimp, Aug 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Voting closes soon

As seen on rogue gunners blog

The Armed Forces Memorial (at the National Memorial Arboretum)
    Category: Best Heritage Project
    Funding amount: £2.4 million
    The National Memorial Arboretum, located within the National Forest in Staffordshire, comprises 150 acres of trees and memorials devoted to Remembrance. The Armed Forces Memorial is the largest of these memorials.

In more than 60 years since the end of the Second World War, our Armed Forces have been involved in conflicts and peacekeeping operations around the world. Tragically this has involved loss of life. To remedy their lack of recognition, it was decided to build a national memorial to honour those who had died on duty or as a result of terrorist action. The Arboretum was chosen as the ideal location and this stunning memorial with its evocative sculptures was created following an international design competition.

This strikingly emotive project, partly-funded by The National Lottery, was dedicated in the presence of HM The Queen on 12 October 2007.

Not only does the memorial pay tribute to the 16,000 men and women whose names are engraved on its walls but importantly it recognises the loss to the parents, brothers, sisters and children as well as the comrades left behind. Visitor numbers are growing rapidly - from 78,000 last year to an expected 300,000 this year.

The Memorial is built of Portland Stone on a large grassed mound, with the name of each serviceman and woman engraved on its five metre high walls.

Chief Executive, Charlie Bagot Jewitt, says that the Memorial is a very special place that should be seen and experienced to appreciate its full impact. He says: "It is a place where families, friends and comrades can come and pay their respects. Many come grief-stricken and find a sort of peace through visiting this special place where the fallen will always be remembered."

Haven't used the search function to see if this is already posted, but not seen owt recently and it appears you CAN VOTE REPEATEDLY so can't hurt anyhow
  2. :D Cheers I'm a techno biff

get voting
  3. I think I'm gonna bump this, time is limited apparently
  4. :D feel free to bump this as you vote, I think its only a matter of days for the vote count