The Arctic theatre

What actually is the difference between arctic and cold weather conditions?
Latitude.

However, it's fair to say that there are specific conditions which only exist in Arctic areas. A good example would be large areas of sea pack-ice which hold particular challenges for ASW operations.

Regards,
MM

Whilst it's encouraging to learn of quick release pulls on CBA, what is going to be sacrificed to allow the weight to remain manageable?

Unless there is a new and improved superhuman being developed to carry the increased load, which ultimately would increase the likelihood of going through the ice anyway.

Near impossible weights to be humped around the mountain on skis seldom included personal comfort kit beyond a duvet jacket.

We sneered at the U.S. forces who were largely confined to areas where vehicles could access. Perhaps that's the model being followed?
As far as I was aware in my experience working with Royal with the on going Norway commitment by 3CDOX (and CHF although part of JHC, Land), was to fight a guerrilla war during winter to harass Vlad (certainly during the cold war). So maybe it will only be body armour for the more forces conducting more conventional war fare when operating out there in the winter?

Norway - Yes, I should have said that in my post. I doubt the geography of the country has changed but hopefully the mapping available has. Or is accurate mapping less important when GPS rules the day?
Mapping is as good as any OS map. Obviously all the grid 'square', if you can call them that are odd shapes due to being so close to the pole, at least when I was in Bardufoss doing CLOCKWORK.

What actually is the difference between arctic and cold weather conditions?
No idea. Last time I did the 'snow shoe' course 2 years ago it was still called the Cold Weather Survival Course even though it is all in and about the Arctic environment. Unless people are confusing the distinction between that and the actual arctic warfare course which is the soldiery bit on pussers planks getting thrashed for 4-6 weeks (not sure how long as I have never done it, thank Fudge). Then if you are really nuts go Mountain Leader (RM only) just remember to leave any sense of humour you had behind if you do make it.

I thought they stopped calling it Arctic Warfare in the later 90s (bit too area specific and not PC post perestroika/glasnost) and it then became Cold Weather or something more catch-all.

I slightly remember doing the Nordic Ski and Survival Course (NSSC) with the RCT/RLC in 1990 or so. Was that just a different name for the basic course? There was certainly a further Arctic Warfare (name containing those words anyway) course as a follow on, later in the Winter and further North, but we never did that one (too warry, or something).

I slightly remember doing the Nordic Ski and Survival Course (NSSC) with the RCT/RLC in 1990 or so. Was that just a different name for the basic course? There was certainly a further Arctic Warfare (name containing those words anyway) course as a follow on, later in the Winter and further North, but we never did that one (too warry, or something).
Pretty sure it was Novice Ski and Survival Course (NSSC).

US Marines launch exercise in northern Norway ahead of Trident Juncture

Apparently, the Russians are taking offence to an aircraft carrier being just off their shores... Something to do with short memories.

Meanwhile, this vessel will sail through the exercise area... Russia's largest landing ship to sail north through major NATO exercise

Meanwhile, Green MPs are sprouting up all over the place, in Iceland, they are complaining about the up-coming exercises MP's oppose military practices to take place in Iceland this autumn

Mountain and Arctic Warfare Cadre not Mountain and Cold weather Cadre....
Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 21.38.50.png

Norway police appeals against order to release Russian spy suspect | Reuters
Norwegian plod appealing against a Court decision to release an alleged spy. Obviously, him being a spy is denied by Moscow. Detention for another two weeks has been asked for:
A Norwegian court said on Thursday a Russian who is suspected of spying should be released from detention but police filed an appeal against the ruling, his lawyer told Reuters.

Mikhail Bochkaryov was detained on Sept. 21 at Oslo airport before a flight out of the country. He will remain in detention awaiting a decision from the appeals court, attorney Hege Aakre said.

Bochkaryov was suspected of spying at Norway’s parliament while attending a seminar on digitalization, police have said.

He has denied any wrongdoing and the Russian foreign ministry has demanded that Norway lift “the absurd charges” and release Bochkaryov, whom it identified as a staff member of the Russian parliament’s upper house.

Prosecutors had asked the Oslo District Court to extend the detention for another two weeks.

Norway police appeals against order to release Russian spy suspect | Reuters
Norwegian plod appealing against a Court decision to release an alleged spy. Obviously, him being a spy is denied by Moscow. Detention for another two weeks has been asked for:
It is amazing how many countries are dreaming up 'absurd' charges against innocent Russian tourists lately. Doubtless, he was merely interested in an obscure Norwegian cathedral and was returning having been put off by some slush.

Regards,
MM

US supercarrier enters Arctic Circle for first time in nearly 30 years

According to the US Navy, the Nimitz class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman traveled north to ;demonstrate the flexibility and toughness of U.S. naval forces; through high-end warfare training with regional allies and partners. USS America (CV-66) was the last ship to operate in the area, participating in NATO exercise North Star in September 1991.

“It has been over three decades since carrier aviation has been tested by this environment, and, despite the arduous weather and sea conditions, these men and women are demonstrating this ship can bring a full-spectrum of capabilities to bear anywhere in the world.

...these men and women are demonstrating this ship can bring a full-spectrum of capabilities to bear anywhere in the world.
You can accuse carrier types of many things, but modesty isn't one of them! :rolleyes:

Regards,
MM

It is amazing how many countries are dreaming up 'absurd' charges against innocent Russian tourists lately. Doubtless, he was merely interested in an obscure Norwegian cathedral and was returning having been put off by some slush.

Regards,
MM
I think this is the one where they ended up disposing of all the printers in the Norwegian parliament.

Does Trident Juncture count as in the Arctic?

Royal Navy ships taking part in huge NATO exercise | Royal Navy

Type 23 frigates HMS Northumberland and Westminster were joining minehunters Cattistock, Hurworth, Grimsby and Ramsey, along with survey ship Enterprise and a fleet diving unit, for Trident Juncture 18.

X-Ray Company from 45 Commando, based in Arbroath, are also embedded in the amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima.

Around 150 aircraft, including a Merlin Mk2 from 814 NAS aboard Northumberland, 65 vessels and up to 10,000 vehicles are taking part in the exercise, which is centred around central and eastern Norway, the North Atlantic and Baltic Sea, including Iceland and the airspace of Finland and Norway.

Royal Navy lead gathering of ships for biggest war game of 2018 | Royal Navy

The exercise runs until November 7, with the chief goal of testing the alliance in its ability to work together to defend NATO’s historic ‘northern flank’.

With its many military ranges, fjords, mountains, cold climate, Norway is seen as the ideal training ground for land, sea and air forces.

At its peak, Trident Juncture 18 sees 50,000 military personnel from 31 countries – not just making it NATO’s biggest exercise of the year, but the biggest for several years.

Around 250 aircraft, 60 warships and more than 10,000 vehicles are involved in Trident Juncture which, although focused in Norway and the waters off it (Westminster and Northumberland will concentrate their efforts on anti-submarine warfare), the exercises spreads to the Baltic and Swedish and Finnish air space.

TRIDENT JUNCTURE is very important and the fact it clashes with SS3 is somewhat unfortunate for the UK.

NATO needs to get back into the mindset - and practice - of deterring and if necessarily fighting a monolithic Russian threat. Moreover, we need to do that fast as we no longer enjoy the qualitative edge we used to, particularly in the maritime environment.

Regards,
MM