The Arctic theatre

Grey Fox

*Russian Troll*
It's wearing a camera or tracker harness, but there is no camera or tracker fitted. I'm not sure if the Russians are still using harnesses to fit trackers to whales, or if they stitch or nail them directly to the skin like some other countries do.
Talking about military whales, Russians preffer to implant equipment under the skin.

Beluga whales are quite friendly and curious, and will come right up to the boat.
And they can't hear (or mind) difference between Russian and Unrussian boats.

Grey Fox

*Russian Troll*
I know that sea life has been used for militaristic purposes.
But have the fishermen / media accused Russia of attacking the fishing fleet with whales ?
As far as I know, there was only one report about 'incident' between Ukrainian aphalinas and illegal Turkish fishing boat (she was sunk) in Black sea in 2013, but, may be, it was a 'fake' - there was no official confirmation.

Grey Fox

*Russian Troll*
What do you know about the company?
I can mistake, but looks like it is St. Petersburg company "СнарЯжение" (Snaryajeniye - Equipment).
At least there is their old logo at the buckle:

Товары на главной - Каталог

They are more resellers, but also have their own production. Good quality, clever and polite sellers, personal attention to buyers. Can do custom things (if you can explain what exactly do you want). Prices are bit higher than medium, but they have often discounts.
Sponsors of active touristic events, well known not only in St. Petersburg, but in whole Russia and outside it.

Last edited:
I can mistake, but looks like it is St. Petersburg company "СнарЯжение" (Snaryajeniye - Equipment).
At least there is their old logo at the buckle:

Товары на главной - Каталог

They are more resellers, but also have their own production. Good quality, clever and polite sellers, personal attention to buyers. Can do custom things (if you can explain what exactly do you want). Prices are bit higher than medium, but they have often discounts.
Sponsors of active touristic events, well known not only in St. Petersburg, but in whole Russia and outside it.
That looks like the same logo, as well as being the same name. They appear to be a major sporting goods retailer. I assume they likely do international sales, given that they bother to include English on their logo, or is that just an effort to look "cool"? Their main equivalent in Canada would be MEC - Mountain Equipment Coop.

Grey Fox

*Russian Troll*
That looks like the same logo, as well as being the same name. They appear to be a major sporting goods retailer. I assume they likely do international sales, given that they bother to include English on their logo, or is that just an effort to look "cool"?
Yes, they do. Their production is rather popular in Finland because of relatively low prices and good quality.
Their main equivalent in Canada would be MEC - Mountain Equipment Coop.
I hope, prices at their site are measured in Canadian dollars, not USD? 320 USD for two-person tent is a day-light robbery.

Yes, they do. Their production is rather popular in Finland because of relatively low prices and good quality.

I hope, prices at their site are measured in Canadian dollars, not USD? 320 USD for two-person tent is a day-light robbery.
Those will be Canadian dollar prices, of course.

And so far as that price is concerned, MEC stuff is at the higher end of the market, although the MEC own brand stuff is generally much cheaper than the "global" brands they also sell alongside them.

If you want something cheaper, then you can buy Woods brand tents and other outdoors gear from Canadian Tire, who have stores everywhere (as opposed to MEC who are just in the larger cities). Prices are much less than those of MEC. If you want cheaper still, you can of course get stuff for less money, but you get what you pay for. Woods have been around since the 19th century and in their early days supplied tents and other gear for various Arctic, Antarctic, and Himalayan expeditions, as well as for the Boer War expeditionary force. Today they are more focused on mass market camping gear though, and so may not be directly comparable to MEC brand stuff in many cases.

So it's hard to compare something like tents unless you look at the details of features and the weight, with the latter mattering a lot if you are hiking.

However, many people will buy MEC coats and other clothing just to make themselves look "cool" and show how in tune with nature they are even if they never set foot outside of a city. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with their gear, just that it is also fashionable to be seen wearing it. I was comparing them to St Petersburg Equipment in terms of being a big retailer of good quality outdoors gear with own brand products.

MEC by the way are a cooperative.

The following video came up as a suggestion when I was watching the above beluga video. It is a video of a summer sailing expedition in eastern Hudson Bay a couple of years ago. While it is not militarily themed, it has excellent drone footage which can give you a good view of the terrain and general environment of the region. This is some of the best footage that I've seen and is worth watching.

Near the end of the video they briefly visit an abandoned military radar station. The antennas are still standing, but most of the support buildings are falling down. They also include some still photos from the period when the radar station was still operating. It was obviously part of one of the long range warning systems, of which there were several lines stretching across the country at different latitudes.

I'm curious to know if the narrator at the start has some sort of a regional/ethnic Canadian accent?

It is quite difficult to understand, especially with the rest of the soundtrack over the top of the narration. I may have been living outside English-speaking environments for too long though.

Grey Fox

*Russian Troll*
You guys ask, how Russia can spin around on a dick the United States of America with all their military spending? Answer is simple "Septic stupidy and corruption are the best friends of Russia". New example:
"The United States Coast Guard (USCG)awarded VT Halter Marine Inc., a shipbuilder on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, a contract for the design and construction of the new heavy icebreaker, also known as Polar Security Cutter (PSC). The contract is valued at $745.9 million and covers the design, engineering, and construction costs of the first of what the USCG hopes will become a fleet of six new icebreakers. According to the USCG construction will begin in 2021 and it aims to take delivery of the vessel in 2024.

At least three shipbuilders and consortia submitted bids to construct the PSC. It appears, price and not technical know-how or prior experience constructing icebreakers was the winning factor. “VT Halter beat out at least two other bids, and at this stage we can only surmise VT Halter's bid was the most attractive from a price standpoint, as no further information is available yet. What is clear is that VT Halter did not win this bid based on experience or technical know-how,” explains Ryan Uljua, Senior Fellow at The Arctic Institute, a non-partisan think tank.

[...]

Experts point to a general lack of expertise among U.S.-based shipyards when it comes to constructing icebreakers. The Healy was built at the now-defunct Avondale shipyards more than 20 years ago. “The winner of the PSC bid, VT Halter, has no experience designing or building ice-capable ships, let alone heavy icebreakers. Given the options for up to three heavy icebreakers included in the contract, it appears the USCG is hoping to develop domestic icebreaker construction expertise "from scratch" at VT Halter on the Gulf Coast,” states Uljua.[...]"

U.S. Coast Guard Awards Contract for New Polar Class Icebreaker

You guys ask, how Russia can spin around on a dick the United States of America with all their military spending? Answer is simple "Septic stupidy and corruption are the best friends of Russia". New example:
Swearing in CA again @YarS?

I'm curious to know if the narrator at the start has some sort of a regional/ethnic Canadian accent?

It is quite difficult to understand, especially with the rest of the soundtrack over the top of the narration. I may have been living outside English-speaking environments for too long though.
He's from Quebec and his first language is quite evidently French. His English is quite good even if the accent is a bit heavy. The names of the three of them should probably have given their origin away even if the accent didn't. I didn't have any problems understanding him, although I am probably more used to hearing the accent.

He's from Quebec and his first language is quite evidently French. His English is quite good even if the accent is a bit heavy. The names of the three of them should probably have given their origin away even if the accent didn't. I didn't have any problems understanding him, although I am probably more used to hearing the accent.
Aha, that would explain it. Thank you. I must admit that trying to talk to Quebecois troops (in Europe) in my best business-French I also couldn't understand very well, and a considerable number of the words used did not appear in my course-syllabus either for some reason.

Grey Fox

*Russian Troll*
I thought your first language is French. You are too intelligent and open-minded for native English-speaker.Was I wrong?

Grey Fox

*Russian Troll*
Aha, that would explain it. Thank you. I must admit that trying to talk to Quebecois troops (in Europe) in my best business-French I also couldn't understand very well, and a considerable number of the words used did not appear in my course-syllabus either for some reason.
May be, you should try to have some conversations at Seselwa. It is more difficult for European ear (until few bottles of Rum).
Something like: "Seselwa i lalang pli pwisan nou patri akoz tou dimoun i koz li"

In a recent report the US Pentagon has taken note of China's increasing interest in the Arctic.
www.cbc.ca/news/politics/china-arctic-military-submarines-pentagon-1.5123287?cmp=rss
The one-page assessment of the potential Chinese threat in the Arctic is included in the Pentagon's annual report to Congress on China's armed forces and comes amid growing interest within the U.S. military to beef up its own operations in the Arctic and sub-Arctic regions of the world.
China has research stations in Norway and Iceland, and operates an icebreaker built in Ukraine.
China maintains research stations in Iceland and Norway and operates one Ukrainian-built icebreaking research vessel, the Xuelong (Snow Dragon), which in 2017 completed its eighth Arctic expedition and became the first Chinese official vessel to traverse Canada's Northwest Passage, the report notes.
They are also building a new icebreaker that is expected to enter service this year.
China is also building a new icebreaker capable of operating in the Arctic, which is expected to enter service in 2019.
The US report sees China's interests as being access to resources, securing trade routes, and promoting their image abroad.
The strategy identifies China's interests as access to natural resources, securing Arctic sea lines of communications (SLOCs), and promoting an image of a "responsible major country" in Arctic affairs, the Pentagon assessment says.
The US expressed concern that China may deploy nuclear submarines to the Arctic to deter nuclear attack.
"Civilian research could support a strengthened Chinese military presence in the Arctic Ocean, which could include deploying submarines to the region as a deterrent against nuclear attacks," the report said.
The story goes on to speculate about what the Chinese might be doing in terms of submarine development. However, I see the greater significance as being the US are starting to take note of the situation.

Geography will limit what the Chinese can do in terms of military exploitation of the Arctic Ocean, as the entry to the Arctic from the Pacific is only through the Bering Strait, while the much broader entry via the North Atlantic is on the other side of the world from them.

As a trade route to Europe and as a fishing region however, the Arctic likely has much more significance to China.

There is no sign yet whether the Americans are ready to admit to themselves that their aggressive territorial claims on Canada's waters are threatening to play into China's hands.

The following photo is of their existing icebreaker, the Snow Dragon, taken in 2012.

If the Russians really are militarising whales we better call in the Japanese. They have the experience in dealing with that type of 'threat'.
YUSHIN_MARU_NO.3.jpg

And they can't hear (or mind) difference between Russian and Unrussian boats.
That is disputable. As animals that depend hugely upon hearing, they may well be able to distinguish between various individual craft, as can our (relatively unsophisticated in comparison,’ sonar.

Grey Fox

*Russian Troll*
That is disputable. As animals that depend hugely upon hearing, they may well be able to distinguish between various individual craft, as can our (relatively unsophisticated in comparison,’ sonar.
Many animals can. Beluga whales can distinguish different boats between each other, but they hardly can generalise groups of boats, peoples, unmanned devices in abstract groups like "Russians" and "Norvegians". Orcas (especially "hunters") and aphalinas can do it easily. I heard about an Orca who knew all first and second class ships with their nationalities.