The Antonine Wall

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Sixty, May 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Tiring of swapping barbs with one of the site's dullards, I decided to do something improving yesterday and headed west to some of best preserved extant remaining parts of the Antonine Wall.

Less well known than Hadrian's version, it was still an important bulwark against the Caledonians.

Warning! Pictures of a ditch follow.

Anyhoo, phots. All pics taken from the barbarian side of the wall:

2. Thanks for posting Sixty as well as for rejuvenating my memory. North West frontier of the Roman Empire!
    Apparently it has formed part of a World Heritage Site, since 2008.
    Well according to this site anyway :
  3. Interesting thread Sixty.

I'm surprised that it was only used for 20 years, it must have taken a long time, money and effort to construct it. It would be interesting to see a bit returned to how it must have looked at the time - especially to see how deep and steep the ditch was!
  4. The Romans had probably wiped out any unruly elements for a bit of sport within the 20 years or, more likely, the local tribes had opted to settle down and enjoy the benefits of being part of the booming Romano-British economy. Hadrians Wall would have been much easier to garrison - having a better infrastructure of viccas and villages - and it seems that the Wall itself was actually used as more of a Customs border than a defensive structure.
  5. No.

The area of the Antonine is more arable, better for livestock and also shorter by some margin. They couldn't hold it.
  6. Mmmm-nice ditch. After several millenia, its rolling, verdant banks are almost feminine.

Which was probably why it was abandoned after 20 years, like the high-maintenance 'me, me, me' bitch that it was.
  7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

One thing for sure is you won't look nearly so good after almost 2000 years :D
  8. The OSGB map of Roman Britain gives a pretty good layout of the Wall of Antonine giving all the locations of the forts ect
  9. I probably will as I had the good fortune to born English, by God. 8)