The Antidote to Panel Games

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Jun 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Just a tip to arrsers who might not know.

'I'm sorry I haven't a Clue' is returning to Radio 4 at 1830 this evening. First of the new guest presenters is Stephen Fry.

I hope they've kept 'Mornington Crescent', 'One Song to the Tune of Another' and 'Late Arrivals at the Ball'.

Mrs. Trellis.

per pro Mr and Mrs Wallcarpeting and their son Walter.

2. The Humph will be quite an act to follow his puns were excellent along with his double entendres, which I suppose are puns, Stephen Fry is an excellent choice along with the panelists, anything beats the crop of talentless buffoons on TV these days.

3. Made the mistake of playing a recording of ISIHAC to a room full of Septics, plus three Canadians. Shermans all stony-faced/bemused, while the Canucks wet themselves laughing.

Then compounded the error with "Round the Horne"; just to watch the stunned fizzogs when "Julian and Sandy" went into full Polari mode.

Might try The Goons on the poor B'stards next time...

4. Grownup_Rafbrat

Ah, I'm sure they all understood 'Rambling Sid Rumpole' and his tales of nurdling his cordwangle.

5. Thank you for telling us, Ms Rafbrat. :D

I must listen to that.

It must be decades since I last heard the show. :?

Maybe even when I was young and uninterested? :oops:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00l0xxg

6. Sadly, no. Their only exposure to British humour heretofore has been through the Public Broadcasting System - the poor man's BBC of the 1960's; Sunday night is "Britcom" night, and one can sit back and watch the first series of "Are you Being Served?" sandwiched between "Blackadder" and "Red Dwarf", and followed by "Citizen Smith".

As one of the Jodrell ladies said that evening "I don't get Monty Python, but I love Benny Hill; does that make me weird?"

Answers on a postcard; not more than 14 words, please.

7. Grownup_Rafbrat

Well, the offspring and I thought they did a good job. The scriptwriters had obviously made a huge effort to carry on Humph's good work, and there were two occasions when we were howling with laughter at the doubles entendres.

Will certainly listen in again next week.

Mrs. Trellis.

per pro
    Sven and Samantha

8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Damn! I missed it.

Still, thanks to wonderful BBC7 ( the best prog ever) I can still listen to all the old ones, along with 'Just a Minute', Navy Lark and even the Al Read Show. There was actually a broadcast of 'Educating Archie' and once, in a magic time, 'Life with the Lyons'.

9. Or R4 on Sundays after noon news summary (so 12:02)

10. Made a point of listening to it - not bad, ......dear old Fry was a bit wooden in places but I thought generally carried off the irreplaceable Humph's job with aplomb. One could sense a sense of occasion and respect I think from those taking part. Clement Freud even got a mention! The Timmy Mallet bit nearly made me pish myself in the charades thing '...... second word.... sounds like Hunt!'

The script writers did a good job too, I think it'll get better as they all relax into it. But nothing or nobody will ever truly replace Humph. God rest your soul, Sir.

11. Aaargh! Missed it! Quick: to Listen Again on t'interwebs. Thank you Auntie!

12. Grownup_Rafbrat

That was one of our 'howling with laughter' moments.

I think they were making the point that Humph is irreplaceable, but the show can go on. If they maintain that standard, it will.

13. I thought Steven Fry made a good fist of it although I was annoyed that Sven has been brought back to replace Samantha. I find his irritating interjections far too intrusive.

14. Grownup_Rafbrat

To be fair, he was sitting on Mr Fry's left hand, which must lead to a few interjections....