The Andrew Marr Show

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Good old BBC just can't let go of their old mates even though they got humped last Thursday.

It looks like Marr is now running the Labour Party leadership election. He started off with Sturgeon and allowed her to say that SNP are now the party for all UK who are disillusioned with Labour and SNP are the only effective opposition in the HoC. This was then followed by that slimeball Mandelson saying get back to Blairite New-Labour and now 'Vote for me as Great Leader' Chukka Umnna, denying he is standing for leader - aye right!

This must be saving the Labour Party millions in publicity, not having to write out to members!

If the SNP claim to be "the party for all the UK", then they can start fielding candidates across the whole UK starting with the next round of Euro elections.

Then she'll get the message

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Good old BBC just can't let go of their old mates even though they got humped last Thursday. It looks like Marr is now running the Labour Party leadership election.
If you read a lot of the stuff Marr has said or written about both the BBC's bias, his own take on journalism, and his own political views, you might find you are massively oversimplifying things and have the wrong target in Marr himself.

Yes, the BBC has a left-liberal cultural bias. Of course it does: look at its employee demographics. That is not the same as saying they are all Labour devotees.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If the SNP claim to be "the party for all the UK", then they can start fielding candidates across the whole UK starting with the next round of Euro elections.

Then she'll get the message
Did Scottish Labour not used to say things like that? :cool:

If Labour took a look at the SNP and swallowed a lot of their pride, then maybe they could be just as successful south of the Border. Don't forget, SNP did well purely because the voters thought well of them!

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
If you read a lot of the stuff Marr has said or written about both the BBC's bias, his own take on journalism, and his own political views, you might find you are massively oversimplifying things and have the wrong target in Marr himself.

Yes, the BBC has a left-liberal cultural bias. Of course it does: look at its employee demographics. That is not the same as saying they are all Labour devotees.
might be entertaining seeing the banter between andrew neil and the abbot creature this week...he's never one to give anyone an easy go...

If Labour took a look at the SNP and swallowed a lot of their pride, then maybe they could be just as successful south of the Border. Don't forget, SNP did well purely because the voters thought well of them!
Remind us again, how well did they, the SNP, do in England and Wales :)

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I wonder how much responsibility for Labour's defeat will accrue to the BBC in the years to come.

Though I find the BBC's cultural and policy bias as nauseating as anyone, I can't help feeling that their remorseless championing of the Liberal Left agenda contributed to a belief in Labour ranks that the BBC genuinely reflected the view of the country and that more of the same was therefore a winning strategy. Had Labour speakers been regularly flayed by more representative Question Time audiences, for example, or had Labour experienced more difficulty in becoming a lead news item purely by saying 'the NHS is in danger', I suspect that Labour strategists would have questioned the 35% strategy and the absolute regression to Old Labour more vigorously and in time to do something about it.

It would be a delicious irony if, as I think may well be the case, a combination of Political Correctness and Left Wing bias had actually made a material contribution to the demise of Miliband.

E

EScotia

For the SNP to honestly claim to be the party for all the UK they'd have to put up candidates in England, Wales & NI and I very much doubt they would be successful in any useful numbers, if at all.

One of the biggest things in the success of the SNP, and it has been very successful, is National pride, not because the voters thought well of them, although to be fair I'll hang fire on that until after the next Holyrood elections.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
They, the SNP, should stand elsewhere. People would vote for them if they promised to go.
During the pre election bitching. One of the Shinners had a go at the SDLP for being irrelevant. The response was 'look at what the SNP achieved and without firing a shot',
The Shinners had the grace to look embarrased

Scottish Labour got the message in no uncertain terms, it was two words and the second one was "off".

And, of course, maybe, just maybe, the SNP did so well because people thought less of their "traditional" choice, Labour.

Doesn't mean that the SNP is held in any higher regard, just that Labour were seen to be pondlife....

Each argument has it's merits, and we don't know what went through the heads of the voters.

Scottish Labour got the message in no uncertain terms, it was two words and the second one was "off".

And, of course, maybe, just maybe, the SNP did so well because people thought less of their "traditional" choice, Labour.

Doesn't mean that the SNP is held in any higher regard, just that Labour were seen to be pondlife....

Each argument has it's merits, and we don't know what went through the heads of the voters.

The SNP have sent plenty pondlife down to Westminster anyway......

D

Deleted 20555

The BBC are hurting. I've noticed trailers for their political programmes post election portray a feel of impending doom and disaster about them.
Well their Royal Warrant thingy is up for review soon and guess what - they haven't made any friends amongst the people who just won the election - have a majority - and who will be deciding what will happen to their trough of public expense and don't like them very much.

The SNP have sent plenty pondlife down to Westminster anyway......
And, as said elsewhere, I look forward to them ranting away but being ignored like the demented old granny stuck in the corner at a family party.....

Oh look, a thread for people to whine about the BBC. Hasn't been one of them for at least twenty five minutes...

Funnily enough I was looking at a left wing site the other day where everyone was moaning about how BBC had won the election for the Tories with their right wing, anti Labour broadcasting...

Oh look, a thread for people to whine about the BBC. Hasn't been one of them for at least twenty five minutes...

Funnily enough I was looking at a left wing site the other day where everyone was moaning about how BBC had won the election for the Tories with their right wing, anti Labour broadcasting...
Politics show up here in the NE this morning had a local Labour MP saying exactly that. He accused them of spreading anti Labour feeling by constantly pushing the fear of a SNP tail wagging a Labour dog...

Well their Royal Warrant thingy is up for review soon and guess what - they haven't made any friends amongst the people who just won the election - have a majority - and who will be deciding what will happen to their trough of public expense and don't like them very much.
I shouldn't laugh as it will only be the lower paid employees that suffer as those at the top sail off into the sunset...

However

It'll be good if The BBC are set loose to stand on their own two feet... Especially after they've just sacked their biggest money spinner.

D

Deleted 20555

You mean when they didn't flood Question Time with the party faithful and we all got to see Ed for himself?

Interesting that Oxford and Cambridge both voted Labour. Since a significant proportion of Oxbridge graduates are taken into, and reach senior positions in public service, the teaching professions and the media, perhaps they put something in the water there....;)

Latest Threads