The American Rattle Snake: All you need to know

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Jul 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

2. Because it's American, and it's in the Multinational HQ. Give the man a break
  3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Why not?

Some UK units train, in areas that many of these snakes inhabit. Also many Brit's take holidays in areas frequented by rattle snakes. Also good general knowledge for a soldier.
  4. I'm visiting family in Eastern Oregon, the name of the area the town is located on is called Rattlesnake Flats for a reason. We found a 3 1/2 ft. rattler in the shed behind my son's home two days ago. They're very common here, real nasty but usually will let you know if you're getting close. Keep the mice and other rodent population down though.
  5. Lets not forget the Oregon bear and snake festival. Bear and snake meat. Yee-haw!
  6. Lucky S.O.B!

I caught my first snake when I was 9, and I've been hooked ever since (31 years). I currently keep several snakes in my home, and regularly head out into the high desert looking for rattlers, catch, photograph them and let them go. Amazing animals, and I hate to see them killed for sport, or out of ignorance (which amounts to the same thing.)
  7. Well i imagine its one of those things you should read, as you never know, one day you might find yourself hiking some where nice and sunny, and then you find yon rattle snake attached to your leg.... after the immediate action of shouting "bugger" as many times as you think will be helpful, its best to know what to do, rather than reach for the book to look up what to do in the event you are snake bitten.
  8. You remind me of a dude I knew at Camp Pendleton in the early eighties. We'd go to Twenty Nine Palms for Shoot Ex's about three times a year and this guy would constantly catch sidewinders. He was pretty cool but crazy as a sh1thouse rat.
  9. CAX, huh? We've stomped around the same desert, thats for sure. My sqaudron (VMA(AW)-533), used to deploy to El Centro to let our pilots bomb the crap out of the desert ecosystem. Never caught any sidewinders, but I did find a severly p!ssed off western diamondback, who I left alone (for obvious reasons).
  10. .

I have always heard that the adults are dangerous but juvenile Rattlesnake are deadly. Apparently the juvenile Rattlesnakes aren't mature enough ,so when they bite their prey they don't limit their dosage of venom and inject all their venom, whereas the adult will limit the amount of venom and save some for later. I haven't the faintest Idea if it true ,so watch out for the little ones also.
  11. It's true with many snakes, not sure about rattlers though
  12. mmmmmm rather interesting, can you eat them? I have munched on a lot of black snake, rather tasty. Do rattlers, sidewinders, diamondbacks etc make good vittles?
  13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Yes, they are very tasty! :)

Just like chicken! :wink:
  14. Kentucky Fried Snake.

I don't think it has much commercial appeal. :(