The American Rattle Snake: All you need to know

#1
#3
Because it's American, and it's in the Multinational HQ. Give the man a break
 
#4
Pillager said:
Why not?

Some UK units train, in areas that many of these snakes inhabit. Also many Brit's take holidays in areas frequented by rattle snakes. Also good general knowledge for a soldier.
 
#5
Trip_Wire said:
Or all you ever wanted to know. See website:

http://www.pestproducts.com/rattlesnakes.htm
I'm visiting family in Eastern Oregon, the name of the area the town is located on is called Rattlesnake Flats for a reason. We found a 3 1/2 ft. rattler in the shed behind my son's home two days ago. They're very common here, real nasty but usually will let you know if you're getting close. Keep the mice and other rodent population down though.
 
#6
Virgil said:
Trip_Wire said:
Or all you ever wanted to know. See website:

http://www.pestproducts.com/rattlesnakes.htm
I'm visiting family in Eastern Oregon, the name of the area the town is located on is called Rattlesnake Flats for a reason. We found a 3 1/2 ft. rattler in the shed behind my son's home two days ago. They're very common here, real nasty but usually will let you know if you're getting close. Keep the mice and other rodent population down though.
Lets not forget the Oregon bear and snake festival. Bear and snake meat. Yee-haw!
 
#7
Virgil said:
Trip_Wire said:
Or all you ever wanted to know. See website:

http://www.pestproducts.com/rattlesnakes.htm
I'm visiting family in Eastern Oregon, the name of the area the town is located on is called Rattlesnake Flats for a reason. We found a 3 1/2 ft. rattler in the shed behind my son's home two days ago. They're very common here, real nasty but usually will let you know if you're getting close. Keep the mice and other rodent population down though.
Lucky S.O.B!

I caught my first snake when I was 9, and I've been hooked ever since (31 years). I currently keep several snakes in my home, and regularly head out into the high desert looking for rattlers, catch, photograph them and let them go. Amazing animals, and I hate to see them killed for sport, or out of ignorance (which amounts to the same thing.)
 
#8
Well i imagine its one of those things you should read, as you never know, one day you might find yourself hiking some where nice and sunny, and then you find yon rattle snake attached to your leg.... after the immediate action of shouting "bugger" as many times as you think will be helpful, its best to know what to do, rather than reach for the book to look up what to do in the event you are snake bitten.
 
#9
YankMarine said:
I caught my first snake when I was 9, and I've been hooked ever since (31 years). I currently keep several snakes in my home, and regularly head out into the high desert looking for rattlers, catch, photograph them and let them go. Amazing animals, and I hate to see them killed for sport, or out of ignorance (which amounts to the same thing.)
You remind me of a dude I knew at Camp Pendleton in the early eighties. We'd go to Twenty Nine Palms for Shoot Ex's about three times a year and this guy would constantly catch sidewinders. He was pretty cool but crazy as a sh1thouse rat.
 
#10
sawdusty said:
YankMarine said:
I caught my first snake when I was 9, and I've been hooked ever since (31 years). I currently keep several snakes in my home, and regularly head out into the high desert looking for rattlers, catch, photograph them and let them go. Amazing animals, and I hate to see them killed for sport, or out of ignorance (which amounts to the same thing.)
You remind me of a dude I knew at Camp Pendleton in the early eighties. We'd go to Twenty Nine Palms for Shoot Ex's about three times a year and this guy would constantly catch sidewinders. He was pretty cool but crazy as a sh1thouse rat.
CAX, huh? We've stomped around the same desert, thats for sure. My sqaudron (VMA(AW)-533), used to deploy to El Centro to let our pilots bomb the crap out of the desert ecosystem. Never caught any sidewinders, but I did find a severly p!ssed off western diamondback, who I left alone (for obvious reasons).
 
#11
I'm visiting family in Eastern Oregon, the name of the area the town is located on is called Rattlesnake Flats for a reason. We found a 3 1/2 ft. rattler in the shed behind my son's home two days ago. They're very common here, real nasty but usually will let you know if you're getting close. Keep the mice and other rodent population down though
.

I have always heard that the adults are dangerous but juvenile Rattlesnake are deadly. Apparently the juvenile Rattlesnakes aren't mature enough ,so when they bite their prey they don't limit their dosage of venom and inject all their venom, whereas the adult will limit the amount of venom and save some for later. I haven't the faintest Idea if it true ,so watch out for the little ones also.
 
#12
NEO_CON said:
I'm visiting family in Eastern Oregon, the name of the area the town is located on is called Rattlesnake Flats for a reason. We found a 3 1/2 ft. rattler in the shed behind my son's home two days ago. They're very common here, real nasty but usually will let you know if you're getting close. Keep the mice and other rodent population down though
.

I have always heard that the adults are dangerous but juvenile Rattlesnake are deadly. Apparently the juvenile Rattlesnakes aren't mature enough ,so when they bite their prey they don't limit their dosage of venom and inject all their venom, whereas the adult will limit the amount of venom and save some for later. I haven't the faintest Idea if it true ,so watch out for the little ones also.
It's true with many snakes, not sure about rattlers though
 
#13
mmmmmm rather interesting, can you eat them? I have munched on a lot of black snake, rather tasty. Do rattlers, sidewinders, diamondbacks etc make good vittles?
 
#14
armchair_jihad:

Yes, they are very tasty! :)

Just like chicken! :wink:
 
#16
I am actually very partial to pickeled jelly fish, know idea how to make it though and don't really want to trial and error it in finding out.
 
#17
YankMarine said:
CAX, huh? We've stomped around the same desert, thats for sure. My sqaudron (VMA(AW)-533), used to deploy to El Centro to let our pilots bomb the crap out of the desert ecosystem. Never caught any sidewinders, but I did find a severly p!ssed off western diamondback, who I left alone (for obvious reasons).
I was in A Btry/1stBn/11th Marines. The Stumps was about the only place we could really do much firing though we did go to Chocolate Mountain for a Shoot Ex once. I became intimately familiar with desert wildlife. Scorpions, tarantulas...well, you know. :D
 
#18
Give me a chunk of that gator meat bubba! Yeehaw!
 
#19
sawdusty said:
YankMarine said:
CAX, huh? We've stomped around the same desert, thats for sure. My sqaudron (VMA(AW)-533), used to deploy to El Centro to let our pilots bomb the crap out of the desert ecosystem. Never caught any sidewinders, but I did find a severly p!ssed off western diamondback, who I left alone (for obvious reasons).
I was in A Btry/1stBn/11th Marines. The Stumps was about the only place we could really do much firing though we did go to Chocolate Mountain for a Shoot Ex once. I became intimately familiar with desert wildlife. Scorpions, tarantulas...well, you know. :D
All squadron personnel used to have to pull watch in the bomb dump, but the duty hut was overrun by these frickin' huge brown spiders. We ended up pulling most of the watch in the cab of the 5-ton.
Gimme a snake, anyday!
 
#20
Chief_Joseph said:
Give me a chunk of that gator meat bubba! Yeehaw!

A number of American Supermarkets have a gormet sections that carries rattle snake, alligator meat as well chocolate covered ants, grass hoppers and other insects as well as other strange fish & meat dishes.

When I attended Jungle school in Panama, we ate some pretty strange stuff as well. I in other survival schools and classes, I have eaten Monkies, Snakes, (Many varieties.) rats, Nutria, dog, (Korea, I didn't know what it as at the time.) As well as many insects, grubs and strange plant life to include flowers and grass.

I sort of liked alligator meat. I hated to have to dress the Monkies, as it was like skining a baby human.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top