The All New Kindle

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Quiet_Soldier, Oct 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Kindle e-Reader with Wi-Fi, 6" Display

I've been looking at the above (The All New Amazon Kindle) and considering getting it as a gift for someone. Has anyone on here got one? How does it compare to the other Kindles on the market?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Isn't it the same except no qwerty keyboard - which I never use anyway? Think the display might be a tad smaller though. Am waiting to see their iPad killer in Nov though - current Kindle can then be farmed off to a deserving relative.

3. Kindle Fire and the multitouch ereader are already on the US site to pre-order with deliver as of November.

The manufacturer is Foxconn so I'd reckon it won't be long before supply catches up with demand.

if it's been sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.

4. Cheers for the posts guys, but has anyone actually used this model? Does the lack of QWERTY keyboard make a big difference?

5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Haven't but I have only used the keyboard to type in my wifi password - you can use the thing as a rudimentry email browser but it's a pain to use.

6. Roger, thanks very much, just wondering if it was necessary to order the ebooks. Never used any kind of ebook reader myself.

7. Got the original Kindle which is the bats arrse and a seriously cool bit of Shiney

8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

No the little navigate button just jumps between things you can click on - I order some stuff off Amazon but only bits that I really want - there is a vast amount of ebooks floating around on the internet - just go to kindle torrent search and download the torrent then drag and drop them onto your kindle when it's attached to your pc.

Lots of stuff simply isn't on Kindle - the Master and Commander series for example which I wanted - I have a bout 4,000 books on my laptop - best way to manage them is to load a selection of about 10 or 20 onto the Kindle at a time and work through them - you can load the it up to the max but it makes the Kindle very slow to respond.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'd like to get an A4 size with auto scroll, but I don't think Kindle does that. I can't be doing with these dinky things where you keep having to touch the screen to turn the page.

10. Plus the new Kindle doesn't have 3G. However, the price is excellent.

11. Skintboy, hold off for a bit. I was reading a tech report the other day that rumours Amazon are bringing an even better tablet out in Jan/Feb 2012. Quite why they would introduce the Fire (apart from Xmas sales) then release an upgraded one so soon after is a mystery but then so is Amazon. Will try to find the report again and link it for you.

Edit: Here ya go Rumor: The Kindle Fire Is Only a "Stopgap" Before the REAL Amazon Tablet? | Gizmodo UK

12. You only had to ask....

FreeBookSpot | Download e-books for free

Press the Compact view button and type Patrick O'Brian into the author/isbn/title box

Press Go.

Press details and You can then download them from the filesonic site - it can be slow but if you buy the premium package a book takes about 3 or 4 secs in all formats.

If we should ever meet you owe me several beers.

M-V

13. I have the 3g version and would not be without it. To be away in foreign countries without wi-fi and with the phone switched off due to cost of downloads, receiving the Times every day is just bliss. Equally, although slow, to use the web to catch up with BBC news or Facebook or e-mails is brilliant. By way of example I was sat in Kenya a few months back in the middle of no-where and still had the Times from switching on to reading in less than a minute.

It will be interesting to see how the Kindle Fire measure up now, as an upgrade may be on the cards.

14. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

It's not available to purchase - I got mine here kindle torrent search - but thanks for the tip.