The Age Old Question - PS3 or XBox 360

As it's getting near that special time of the year - Christmas I have a serious question for the experts on this forum. I have managed to avoid buying the ubiquitous gaming console until now - I have no more excuses to give. So what should I buy for a 12 year old - PS3 or Xbox 360 Pros and Cons please. If it was up to him he would have one of each - that is not possible so I need it in plain english for someone who hasn't a clue what the fuss is all about. Initial outlay price is not a problem, size and performance is a factor but essentially all I want is the gaming console that won't be out of date in a year's time.

I'm aware many of you will be groaning at this request but humour me otherwise I will be tossing a coin...

PS3 all the way. You get regular system updates when they come out so no chance of that being outdated in the near future. Graphics are outstanding and it does play blu ray discs. Has WiFi so you can access the internet for free, rather than XBox where im sure you have to pay to get on XBox Live (someone correct me if im wrong).

Plus whatevers out for the XBox you can get for the PS3 pretty much and vice versa.

Cant really think of any cons besides it being slightly more expensive but it is well worth the cash

Has to be the PS3. Comes with a blu-ray drive built in so you can watch high definition movies and games. the xbox does not have blu-ray. Sony created blu-ray and provide regular software updates so you know it will not be out of date in 12 months. The recent update allows the ps3 to play 3D games & movies if you have a 3D tv. It also plays DVDs and has BBC iplayer built in. It does not cost to play online.

If you ask me ps3 for these reasons; blue ray player, free online, PlayStation Move(eliminates the need for a Wii and based on solid technology), you don't really lose in console specific games to xbox, lighter controller,realiable, and most importantly I own one.
Cons are: more expensive than xbox, no Halo

Xbox 360 all the way

There isn't much between them as some people make out. If online play will be a factor buy the same one as friends have.
I prefer the controller on 360 so this is what I went for. Live is worth it IMO.

As it's getting near that special time of the year - Christmas I have a serious question for the experts on this forum. I have managed to avoid buying the ubiquitous gaming console until now - I have no more excuses to give. So what should I buy for a 12 year old - PS3 or Xbox 360 Pros and Cons please. If it was up to him he would have one of each - that is not possible so I need it in plain english for someone who hasn't a clue what the fuss is all about. Initial outlay price is not a problem, size and performance is a factor but essentially all I want is the gaming console that won't be out of date in a year's time.

I'm aware many of you will be groaning at this request but humour me otherwise I will be tossing a coin...
XBOX then you can add the Kinect option and have a family interactive experience..

Go the PS3 route for the reasons mentioned above.
Blu-Ray, BBC iplayer, and now Lovefilm (if you have an account with them), are available from the PS3.

Games are pretty much of a muchness on both. There will be the odd game title that is an exclusive to a particular console though. E.G. Fable3, Gears of War3 (when released), and the Halo series are all on the 360 only.

Looked a bit further into that 'Ring of Fire' thing RearWords and it just seems it's an over heating problem, I've been told by a mate that you can get an upgraded fan for this but clearly going to cost you more money.

Three lights flash red on your Xbox 360 console

I'd still say PS3 for all of the above reasons and it's constantly being updated with the likes of LoveFilm etc, people are saying that the PS3 is more expensive but that's if you buy the basic console of Xbox which you will then later need to upgrade.

Make the right decision ;-)

Paddington

It depends what you are into. I like to think I am neutral as they are both very, very good systems, I like them both. (My first games computer was a VIC 20).

Fast forward to a few years ago and when I decided to upgrade from my PS1 I had to choose the between the new (as it was) XBOX or the established PS2. In the end it was the HALO that got me into the XBOX and then eventually the 360.

Graphics and performance you can argue and play top trumps all day, quite frankly there is not much in it and it can vary from game to game due to the developers, the quality of your TV, etc.

The 360 is basically a high end games dedicated PC in a slim(ish) black box. Both systems need HDMI connections and a full 1080p HD TV to fully appriciate them. 3D is coming to 360 as well as PS3, but remember you also need the really inexpensive 3D TV too. ;-)
Microsoft have delayed the replacement of the 360 (by a thing called xbox xenon) as they are focusing on developing kinect, so it has a couple of years left in it. Plus you can play your old xbox games on it too. (guilty pleasure, Sid Miers Pirates! & Worms)

I have sent my 360 back twice and it was returned fixed at nil cost and back with me within 10 days on both occasions. The overheating issue was addressed by the fitting of the Jasper motherboard.
The new 360 has built in wifi now as well. It is noisy but if you install the game to the hard drive, and you must get a hard drive to do it justice, it stays quiet and cool.

KINECT will allow you to play by jumping around if thats your thing. It self updates online, you can load music and video onto the onboard hard drive, you can also stream music and video through it via an mp3, memory/usb stick or from your PC.

Where 360 really comes into it own is XBOX L!VE. Yes you do have to pay but I say it is worth it. Its meant to be £40 for 12months, but you can get it on Amazon for £32.99 (thats £2.60 per month)
Most games (HALO, CoD etc) are written with online play in mind, and quite often it is brilliant, if you can avoid high pitched screaming american kids.
SKY is available through L!VE now as well, plus lots of similar things in the pipeline.
You have been able to rent films via L!VE for years now. You can buy old xbox titles, download new games (some are even free), free and paid for game updates & expansion packs (extra cars/planes/maps, etc), whats known as DLC (down-loadable-content). Plus the whole Wii/Mii avatar type guff is there too. My current internet connection won't support L!VE properly and I really miss online gaming. Its great if you are part of a clan or group of mates.

You can also set parental controls via a PIN (my 8yr old has a 360) so it won't play content (Games/DVDs) rated over the age you set or allow him to access unsuitable material via L!VE, useful if one of his friends comes round with GTA4 or lends him Black Ops (both 18 Cert) for example.

No you can't play Blueray, (but then I can't be arsed replacing my DVD collection just yet, so I'll just use my DVD player to upscale until 3D or the next tech gets properly established).

I assume PS3 offers a pretty similar experience, hopefully someone else will be along to enlighten us, certainly I'd be interested to know (especially if it has parental controls). I am safe in saying that the online stability and performance of L!VE is better than the free SONY service, but then you get what you pay for I guess.

It is a bit of a coin flip. My advice would be look at the games cataologue and decide/ask what he wants to play.

Cheers for the replies guys I have been so enlightened...KoR thanks for taking the time to post such detail.

Having spoken to the 12 yr old (an adult beyond his years!) he is really into getting Assassins Creed II; Call of Duty World at War; 007 Quantum of Solace and Avatar. I'm guessing the PS3 is the winner so far. Seen the trailer for Assassins and it looks fun and should be mega on the new full HD plasma tv.

Roadster: Had to laugh about the outdoor activities hint - he already plays hockey and swims for his school, is a red belt in jiu jitsu and has the 2 star kayaking certificate so I reckon a little gaming won't harm.

Paddington: Appreciated the info, must admit the Halo stuff on Xbox looks cool to me but it's his choice.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
'
Originally Posted by Sandy_The_Guvnor

Xbox 360 all the way

Agreed. 'Nuff said. '

yep.

Recently bought myself a PS3 and I cannot be happier. Call of Duty looks seemingly better than on the 360 that a mate has, also try 'blur' - very fun. Even got the girlfriend playing it against me.

My choice was based on the fact that most of my friends bought a PS3 and also the Blueray capacity.