The after life - after REME

Discussion in 'REME' started by Oldguard, May 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok guys, been away from the UK for nearly 15 years, joined this site after a great read and nearly p***** my self laughing on a subject called S01 MCM, I am assuming this is the old REME promotions board (Old wounds never heal) - hey peeps nought has changed, so I will ask all the black hand gang - who's now ruling the roost? from what I read the Art Veh are slotting into Art Wpns roles ??? Perhaps they think they are as good - Oldguard, PE.

2. well considering a tiffy vm would run an armoured sqn or an arty bty fitter section where there were a lot of big guns I don't see why not. It is a management position after all, where a broad knowledge of a fitter sections job and hands on experience with the primemovers is most important. I guess vm tiffy's are generally more adaptable. I mean an armourer emerging from his solitary life in the batcave as a tiffy guns would find it much harder surely.

3. still the old question of the numbers game .......slot anyone into any role providing its the next step in the ladder!!!!
    Nothing changed there..........not denying that the position is line management? However, two schools of thought, in terms of the greater engineering and technical ability, the cave dwellers and plumb liners seemed to have the edge, Band 7 over Band 6........or as in industry, Engineering projects run by a financier?

4. Since when did pay bands denote ability? There is a good reason why VM's run fitter sections...and that is the general experience required to do it. There will be gun fighters with the ability of course but your focus on engineering and technical ability shows that you have never done the job at fitter section level, well not armoured, arty or mech inf anyway.

5. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Not this feckin argument again. This is why you have experienced artisans and section full screws. Seeing both sides of the coin with each of the traded tiffys produced in 1 instance a VM showing complete disregard for safety around guns, and an ex armr suggesting a bodge roadside repair for a brake fluid leak. Both extremes I know, but that is why you have the voice of reasonable experience.
    Do they still recruit EMEs with a degree in Chemistry? Big asset to a workshop that is.

• Like Like x 2
  6. It's not really the degree subjects that worry me, it's the fact that REME officers are sheltered away for the first few years and never get the chance to **** things up and take the ensuing flak which is an important learning curve in the life of (say) RAC young rodneys, then all of a sudden we make them Captain and give them an LAD ?? Bring back the omlettes again, give responsibility in the real world.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ........firstly to put the record straight all service was with either Armd or Arty LAD, with one exception - 29 Commando. As a Tiffy - all Arty, then Bde and Div Maint, then out. So, from experience at all levels of fitter section life a majority of VM tiffys and some VMs Ive come across who call themselves "Engineers" could not fit a tail on a sugar mouse or manage their way out of a wet paper bag!!!!! As for being line managers - well, what exactly is REME looking for, an Engineering Manager or an Admin Manager. Ive seen enough of square pegs in round holes, sadly, thats the way the Corps has gone, no longer is the tiffy expected to be an engineer of any level. Thankfully, seen the light, now as a Senior Engineering Manager, with a Global Engineering company run by engineers, who are engineers,

8. And you know all this having left 15 years ago and sitting in your global edifice. Having joined around the same time as you I can vouch for the Tiffies of today having a lot more on their plate. IT systems, the ability for the long screwdriver in from above, having to consider logistics, threat, training and so on much more seriously than before, proper personnel management, modern vehicle technology without the support, and the frustrations of situations that leave your junior tradesmen under qualified and experienced and the user disconnected from the responsibility of managing equipment except when it's his turn. When running production for my Ftr Sect my Tiffy did little more than plan PT, LAD and mess functions. Some 8 years later when I got to that level the Cold War was over and it was a whole new ball game.

• Like Like x 1
  9. We both know that after 1990 ......a new ball game as you put it saw major changes.......for the worse , misuse of man power, disconection and support from parent units etc, re organisation at all levels, as for having more on the Tiffies plate...come on!!! Half the time there was nothing to do but low key military training and the odd spot of adventure training in southern Germany!! But as for the pressure of the job that came from the 6 month tours coming around more frequently as a huge proportion of the SNCO's had left under the options for change. As you mention and vouch for - the additional problems the Tiffy had to deal with, they were always there??? Granted, the move into the IT escaped me then, for the new tiffies coming on line I suppose a new role had to be defined - Admin Managers????

10. Oldguard, you are a penis. That is all.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Well oldguard is right in 1 respect, there were great changes after 1990. I never understood the concept of Bn creation with all its top heavy connotations, maybe this was the planned mothball destination for Tiffies who clearly had a mobilisation role in the 80s. Certainly I am glad I never went back to Germany at that time when everything appeared to be shutting up shop. I left on options for change and it was probably the best decision I ever made since the one to join the Army in the first place. Going tiffy just happened to be something I did in the intervening period.
    What is the general concept of being a fast tracked whizz kid now (as some tifs were at one time). Is it just a series of regurgitated courses to improve unit efficiency ie here is the book work to it? Or can a VM achieve WO1 status without it.

12. Oldguard, you're missing the point and demeaning the current by calling them Admin Managers and the former by inferring that they didn't Admin manage. Both Admin and Engineering 'managed', it's just that the plusses and minuses are worldly different. I'm still very proud of a Corps that still continues to produce this standard of engineering leader to deliver on the battlefield what the Corps and the Army need and want.

13. Straight to the point as usual Spaz, no splinters on your ARRSE for sitting on the fence.