The Afghan campaign (a long time ago)

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Adam(KOS), Dec 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some historians here might have already seen this but I thought it uncanny so many years on.

My friends you cannot have failed to notice we are fighting a different kind of war.
    This is not a conventional war. It is unconventional. Here the foe will not meet us in battle as other armies have done save under conditions of his own choosing.
    He violates truces, he betrays the peace. When we defeat him he will not accept our domination, he comes back again and again, he hates us with a compassion that is exceeded by his capacity for suffering.
    The boys, men, even women fight us, not openly, but when we show compassion they strike with stealth.
    The types of operations we are compelled to wage, methods of pursuit and capture, the treatment of so-called non combatants. This is not war to we who have found glory in an entirely different kind of war. I would make them our friends and allies, but they will not have it. We have seen his methods and we have no choice but to adapt to them.

Alexander the Great 327 BC
    Quintus Curtius on the Afghan campaign
  2. It's funny how someone's words can echo down the years and come back to mock us.
  3. When you're wounded an' left on Afghanistan's plain
    an' the women come out to cut up what remains,
    jest roll to your rifle an' blow out your brains,
    an go to your Gawd like a soldier.

The kyber pass 1977
  4. All the more reason to turn the place to Glass
  5. Not quite as spooky as it sounds. The quote turns out to be from a modern novel about Alexander the Great, published in 2006.
  6. A scrimmage at a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Falls to a ten-rupee jezail

7. Correct! :D
    A mate of mine coppied it by hand and gave it to me, I couldn't find it despite looking through several search engins.