The Adventures 0f Big Wood

Come on show your age, who remembers the adventures of Big Wood, with Mr Owl and Badger? :D

What, before or after they got dropped from BFBS when "Uncle Bill" got into some trouble IIRC?

(And just after 9 Topo Sqn had run up a shedload of "Maps of Big Wood" - scrap paper all round!)

...and no mistake!

I remember it very well from my OFP days in Menden and still occasionally use the term "botheration"!

rmgbem said:
I remember it very well from my OFP days in Menden and still occasionally use the term "botheration"!
I remember A Troop 16 Tank Transporter Sqn RCT in the early 70's, after a hard days work on the tank park, would all fight for the showers so they could sit outside in the sun, in time for the Adventures Of Big Wood.

Makes me smile to think of hairy arse squddies listening to Mr Owl and Badger. Happy Days :D

We all used to listen to Tales from the Big Wood with tea and toast on a sunday afternoon. Uncle Bill was the senior presenter on BFBS so obviously had something on someone there. He was, allegedly, mad as a box of frogs. One of our Corps' drivers went to pick him up to attend a unit fete/open day. He appeared in full boy scout gear (pointy hat and long shorts, own woggle and everything) and held a conversation with Badger (doing the voice as appropriate) all the way up to us discussing how bad a driver they had. The driver point blank refused to drive the "mad old ferker" back.

And don't forget Maude-Rose, Badger's long suffering wife.

So, in the words of the maestro "goodbye children, everywhere".

Edited to add Uncle Bill, Badger and Owl that I found - Google is your friend

Gravelbelly said:
What, before or after they got dropped from BFBS when "Uncle Bill" got into some trouble IIRC?

(And just after 9 Topo Sqn had run up a shedload of "Maps of Big Wood" - scrap paper all round!)
Would that be the "........................You little barstewards!" alleged incident? Possibly involving strong drink. :D

If it wasn't true it should have been. :twisted:

ALLEGEDLY

Uncle Bill was doing his evening Broadcast and finshed with his usual " Goodnight Children everywhere ....................................................... (5 seconds pause) you little bartewards"

The rumour was that strong drink plus the lack of a pause system on the Tx system ensure the above was sent out on the ether :twisted:

A surprising number of adults used to listen to the Tx beacuse he was a pompous old barstad with a cracking posh accent. The event was certainly pre - 1976.

Edited to add - this was on BFBS Germany.

We had a "Tales of Bigwood" night in the unit bar. Wrote a script and it was read out by four characters behind a screen. I was Mr Owl and I still remember the lines to theis day:

Owl: Now then Maude-Rose(MR), I here you've been selling your bits to stoats and weasels...

MR: Mr Owl, that is total fabrication I would nev...

Owl: So get your laughing tackle round this MR

MR: Mr Owl ! I couldn'r possibly agree to MMMMMPHHhhhhhPPPssssuccckkkkkkkkkkHHMMMMMMM

I remember this, listened every evening to the adventures of Badger and Owl in the early 70s, at one point they were doing audio episodes of Thunderbirds.I did seem him once at some Fete in Soest and he was wearing a kilt and I think some kind of scout uniform with lots of proficiency badges on.

I remember very well, but I had an excuse to listen to Uncle Bill and his tales - I was a brat at the time. I did actually meet him too - as a youngster I went to the studios in Cologne. I had all the maps of Big Wood too...

That and the Munchkin men are my abiding memory of after school entertainment.

I may have met the original poster at some time too - or at least you may know of me.... :D