The actual reason for vomiting during exercise

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bradshaw, Jul 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Obviousely its from fatigue and pushing yourself, but im just curious as to the medical/technical reasons for it, and whether it is right to push yourself to vomiting on a regular basis, is it good/bad for you? I feel the vomit rising nearly every time i do 3 miles+ or circuit training, i always slow down during circuit training as vomiting up in the middle of a sports hall full of 50+ people would probobly pish the bloke who runs it off. And unless im really going for it i usually slow down when running on my own, basically because its not pleasant and i dont currently see any benefits of going that far. However - if there are benefits i would be more likely to push myself to it. Does it increase cardio at all or increase endurance? Or is vomiting not looked down upon in the army simply because it shows you are pushing yourself? Im still a civvy so im just speaking from what ive heard, please correct me if im talkin nonsense please.

2. is vomitting frowned upon?...
    Are you going to vomit everytime you run 3-mile+?...
    my guess is unless you are doin 3-miles in under 22 minutes then 'vomitting' not only will they 'frown upon' you, they will laugh at you and call you nasty names which will give you a reason to drop out during basic.

But if you were running 3-miles in under 22 minutes then 'vomitting' im sure you would be awarded the medal of honour.

hope that helps

3. seriously though, i think vomitting is related with the amount of lactic acid in your blood stream; the harder you work, the more lactic acid is produced, the body tries to egest this from the body via vomitting.

you say this happens quite regularly? well maybe it is a sign you are putting in sufficient effort, and your body is growing more tolerant to higher levels of lactic acid and so improving your 'lactate system'.
    And who knows maybe vomitting when you are being beasted will earn you extra brownie points??

4. Well as i said i do have to slow down to stop myself vomiting, and these 3 milers are done out on the roads, i could be running more or less than 3 miles im only estimating it as 3 miles because i have done 3 miles on a track before. In the army i have no doubt ill be pushed to vomiting on a regular basis, i got nicknamed "The vomitron" at the week i spent with the cabbage heads.
    I get the general jist now though, vomiting shows your puttin the effort it, but if your vomiting when everyone else isnt even out of breath, thats bad...and you may be called naughty words...
    Cheers armed.

5. A & D wrote:

vomitting is related with the amount of lactic acid in your blood stream; the harder you work, the more lactic acid is produced, the body tries to egest this from the body via vomitting.

Thank f*ck for that! I thought it was the Brown Ale!!

6. Get yourself on to Google Earth, the measuring tool on there is superb for measuring jogging or cycling distances.

7. Read what you wrote? Read it again. Now does that make any sense at all? Nope? Thought not! :D

Lactic acid does not magically appear in the blood and diffuse into the stomach, causing you to vomit. Lactic acid builds up inside cells (particularly muscle fibres) when you perform anaerobic exercises (ones which happen in the absence or in low concentrations of o2 in your tissues). This typically applies to short and strenuous exercises which use up your stored VO2 and finish before your respiratory system can replace the oxygen in your tissues/blood. It normally takes about 20 mins for your body to fully replace used up O2, therefore any exercise under 20mins (roughly) in length are considered anaerobic.

The main physiological reason for vommiting after extreme exercise is your body coping with the stress you are placing on it. When you demand a great deal from your body (intense work outs), your body reverts back into survival mode and has to prioritise which systems it wants to support and which it can forget about (for the time being). As you are asking it to give most of your energy to exercise, the body begins to shut down other systems, with the gastro-intestinal system being one of the first to be shut down. The body the expels any food in the stomach, which means that it no longer has to waste energy on breaking down food, which could be used to supply the muscles, heart, brain and lungs (which you are using strenuously). It's bascially a fight or flight scenario for your body. Moral of the story is not to eat heavy or stodgy foods anytime before exercise.

8. http://www.drpribut.com/sports/spthrowup.htm - quote:

Dry Heaves or Vomiting
    Assuming you have no specific horrible medical malady - dry heaves have been associated with training that goes into the anaerobic realm and a buildup of lactic acid used to be considered one of the causes of it.'

'In years gone by, some runners have reported that their coaches would keep a bucket at the side of the track for runners who threw up or had the dry heaves. If you didn't stop at the bucket he'd think you weren't giving it your all.'

Agent smith wrote:
    'As you are asking it to give most of your energy to exercise, the body begins to shut down other systems, with the gastro-intestinal system being one of the first to be shut down. The body the expels any food in the stomach, which means that it no longer has to waste energy on breaking down food'

Now surely the above contradicts itself, you say:
    'asking it to give most of your energy to exercise, the body begins to shut down other systems,...which means that it no longer has to waste energy breaking down food' - (Food contains energy? am i wrong?)

The body uses enzymes to break down food. I am no expert but im guessing the energy source/type used in making our muscles move, differs from that used in the breaking down of food.
    The point you have suggested fails to convince me that lactic acid plays no part in someone vomiting during exercise.

9. Your quote just backs up exactly what i said!

As for the body shutting down 'secondary' systems in times of emergency (or in this case extreme exertion), think of it along the fight or flight reaction. You ask, why would the digestion system shut down in order to preserve energy when digesting food actually provides energy for exercise. Yes it does provide energy, but you miss the point. The body is not thinking long term here. It reverts back to basic survival mode, as in 'How can i survive this next ordeal'. It's answer is to shut down all non-essential (in the short term) body systems and focus all energy and concentration on those systems needed to survive the coming ordeal. This generally means the gastro-intestinal system is shut down, and blood is pumped to the brain, muscles and lungs.

Think of it this way. When you get into a fight (not a drunken one), your body shuts off all non-essential systems. Thats why a lot of people experience a loss of hearing, an increased pain barrier and tunnel vision during fights, only after which do they realise. It's your body doing what it has learnt to do over thousands of years to help you survive.

If you doubt me, go check a text book. :D

PS in relation to the enzyme/energy type question, the body uses glucose as it's base block of energy (from which ATP is released). The enzymes in the stomach (of which there are quite a few) are designed to break down larg macro-molecules in base-components which are used for either energy or protein-synthesis. As such, the energy used in muscle contraction and in breaking down foods is exactly the same. The body is a highly complex system, but not so complex as to require two different types of energy to run it :D

10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Don't forget it is rude to vomit down the back of the chap in front.
    Oh & breaking step is not allowed
    If you are going to do it show some panache.

11. Ok maybe i was a bit understood, but on the first glance of your post it seemed that you disagreed with the fact that lactic acid played any part in somoene vomitting due to high level of exertion during exercise.
    I understand what you are saying about glucose being the base molecule from which ATP is released, but ATP as an average only provides the body with anaerobic energy for between 8-12 seconds (this system is used by 100m sprinters).

- you refer to this 'fight or flight' mechanism that the body uses and you relate this to having a fight, although when having a fight, as you said you get tunnel vision and an increase in ones pain barrier. these i might mention differ from the running where going back to the original post by bradshaw he feels he needs to slow down when he feels like vomitting this indicates that he doesnt get a surge of adrenaline, tunnel vision and increase in his pain barrier needed to 'survive'.
    Although you used a fight as an example of the bodies 'fight or flight' mechanism etc. The effects you mentioned tunnel vision, pain barrier etc are brought around by external influences i.e someone threatening you. this cannot be recreated or self brought upon i.e you wont be able to run yourself into a rage.

Also im sure the body uses more than one type of energy, i cannot be bothered to check, but off the top of my head creatine-phosphate sytem comes into mind. maybe glycogen is the base energy and the CPS is a way of using the glycogen i cannot be sure.

You have given some very informed posts, so im guessing your probably correct.
    Bradshaw take from these posts what you can and im sure some of it will make sense.

A_A_D

12. Bradshaw

How soon do you exercise after eating? I'd always leave 1.5 hours for the stomach to digest before doing anything, if you can.

The only bloke I knew who had similar "issues" was a friend I used to go rowing with, and always, always, puked over the side of the boat in the 3 minutes before the start of a race, leaving an oil-slick effect for the boats behind us to paddle through. He said it was the pre-race heeby-jeebies that got to him. Do gyms make you nervous?

13. Its the flight or fight reflex cutting in .If your doing this regulary on three mile runs .Either you are pushing yourself too hard
    runing with a full stomach or hungover .Or you are very unfit I did this on a cft I was hungover and ill though .Its not normal maybe you need to see a doctor ?

Or lay off the wafer thin mints :D .

14. Well if im honest its not so regular anymore, i used to run on a regular basis, but now ive had to get a job at costal del mcdonaldinoio's to keep food on my families table untill i start training for the army. Im doing 9 hour shifts everyday, with monday and thursday off, and on my days off i tend to lie in my garden on the concrete and savour the feeling of bieng able to breathe clean air(not the grimy half solid half liquid grease i tend to breathe at work) and not having to stand up is a nice feeling. I sh*t you not guys, working 9 hour shifts at mcdonalds in them f*cking kitchens will leave you aching in all the wrong places (joints and feet -not muscles/ burns off the bastard grills etc)
    Wanting to be a soldier, i always try to show a bit of the ole "eye of the tiger" in everything i do, but running 2 nights a week instead of the 4/5 i used to run, with aching feet from wearing sh*tty shoes and standing in them for 9 hours straight is really not as amusing as it sounds. Aswell as everything aching, my cardio has gone down the shi*ter aswell, i blame the bloody greasy air i breathe in all day, i get out of breathe and i sound like a horny darth vader.
    I think the reason for the heavy amounts of vomiting is because im trying to run the same distance at the same pace that i was running when i was a jobless sponging bint with only shin splints and patelar tendinitis to worry about :D im dreading taking it easy though, because with just over a month till i start training i dont really want to be "slowing it down" i want my fitness to be peaking and to be the best its ever been. :(

Rant over, ill go bitch at someone else.

p.s. im eating about 4 hours before i run, and i dont drink water for 2 hours before either, as it causes stitches.