The Act of Killing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hattastic, May 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wasnt that impressed with this,not as good as the documentary a couple of years back !

2. I hope that was run through MOD press office (I am sure it was). An interesting take on our craft. Not as balanced as it could have been. Hope the wives and families don't watch it.

3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Wasn't there already a thread about this last night? About the 'emotions of the soldier who kills' prog on BBC yesterday?

4. Tell you one thing, the Bliar/Brown axis has practically killed this country.

5. respectfully I have a question;

how do Soldiers who are Christains or have strong religious underpinnings cope with the fact that they taken a life especially in for say a conflict that is illegal such as Iraq? do they concede that within their own religious beliefs that they shall be placed in hell when they themselves pass away?

Or do they implement a certain degree of selective religion?

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Who says we are all christians? Thats a bit presumptuous don't you think?

7. I dont think he was saying that, OS.

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

No, but he/she was trying to judge based on an abstract set of rules. I'm guessing hattastic hasn't even watched the program in question.

9. Strange to suggest that its down to a soldiers training that they don't feel regret when having killed. I for one would have no regrets in killing someone who was trying to kill me/my family/ my friends etc. surly its human nature, not an effect of some kind of desensitizing training.

10. I wish I was a Christain, are they like the illumanati?

Oh and it doesn't really matter does it since Hell in all probability doesn't exist apart from if you venture into Burnley.

11. I'm not stating that Hell and Heaven exists, or that all soldiers are Christains, just that does a soldier who has taken a life who is a strict Christain accept that they will go to hell when they pass away, or is there some kind of internal justification?

12. Respectfully replying

Who actually thinks they are going to hell in all honesty these days?
    Who actually gives a damn where they end up?

The regret or indeed the guilt of killing another person, im sorry to say, doesnt even cross your mind, when you are in the process of fighting an enemy in hot contact, nor does it fully hit you until after the event.
    ie, when you have had time to come down from the emotional situation you were in and the reflection of the days work is done.

I personally do not know of any soldier, who whilst in contact, has thought, "I might go to hell if I shoot this bloke who is shooting at me" nor do I know of any, who in contact, have considered the fact of what they might or might not do to who they are fighting.
    You are fighting for your own survival, and as such, regret, religion or whatever, does not come into the fore.
    After the event, is a totally different matter, and the two need to be considered so.

Put it this way, if you were being attacked whilst out on the beer one night, would you think to yourself, "no, I shall just turn the other cheek, lest I go to hell"? or would you fight for your own protection? or if your children were being attacked?

Different scenarios same ideas, human instinct is to protect yourself and those you care about, the difference about being a soldier is, you use a gat, and people do die.

If in all honesty, you were so tied up in your religion, that you were concerned about taking another persons life, why the hell would you become a soldier?

And when I say soldier, I mean soldier, not a clerk or a storeman who happens to wear the same uniform.

No offence :)

13. I've never thought of enemy dead as anything more than enemy dead. Part of it, I think, is that the conflicts I've served in have been so far away from the UK that the memories almost don't seem real. I don't know if I would have the same attitude having fought in NI, for example.

14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

NI was no different - bad guys are bad guys.