The absolute worst characters on pads estates

You had to cross the road from St Omer. Much easier from Buller...
Easier still to the Duchess of Kent (The QA place was miles away, as I recall). Oddly, discos there were DJ'd by a couple of Buller Sgts.

They weren't, but the murderer came to believe they were having an affair at the time his marriage was falling apart.
That’s poor journalism then, she should’ve been described as a friend. You can’t be someone’s woman friend unless you’ve sucked on their genitals.

It’s basic physics.

Last edited:
It was quite a common occurrence at Episkopi Garrison, Cyprus for retired officers or their wives who had become ex-pats trying to blag their way onto camp in order to use the NAAFI.
When I stayed with a mate at Episkopi, he was telling me that the Ex-Pats use to run dog walking services for the Military, thus would be blagged a camp pass to enter to walk Fido. Unfettered access for an hours walk around camp once a day (inbetween shopping of course)

When I stayed with a mate at Episkopi, he was telling me that the Ex-Pats use to run dog walking services for the Military, thus would be blagged a camp pass to enter to walk Fido. Unfettered access for an hours walk around camp once a day (inbetween shopping of course)

You can't argue with initiative!

Has Dodge City had a makeover at all?

Sounds about right. I was the Community Police Sgt at the Berengaria MSQ patch in Limassol and the amount of bollocks excuses used to try and get on was unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Or 'Tenko' as we called it.
Indeed! They buildings themselves were transported over from Aden in the early 70s and rebuilt on concrete slabs. They were baking in summer and freezing in winter. All built of asbestos too. The site closed ages ago but as of 2015 it was still there in a derelict state. I went for a shufty when I visited over there as a civvy delivering a training course at Epi Garrison; weird walking around my old pad - 6 Citrus Square.

Indeed! They buildings themselves were transported over from Aden in the early 70s and rebuilt on concrete slabs. They were baking in summer and freezing in winter. All built of asbestos too. The site closed ages ago but as of 2015 it was still there in a derelict state. I went for a shufty when I went over there as a civvy delivering a training course at Epi Garrison; weird walking around by old pad - 6 Citrus Square.

Yes, I heard it had closed. I only ever went there once, collecting MFO boxes when we were leaving. Made me think that the blocks in Epi were not that bad after all.
I'm sure i saw a walkaround on YouTube.

Was in Catterick in 2000/2001 we were told specifically that the bars there were out of bounds to us para recruits.
I seem to recall recruits in other units getting it on with the the resident infantry battalion wives. Think the Kingo’s were there then.
Ah, the Kingo's, bless 'em. In Cyprus my next door neighbour was the Sgt Maj of the Dhekelia RMP det. Decent chap who supported our Mess well. One Mess meeting he stood up for AOB and informed all that he was 'Ringing the Bell' as [and I quote] The Fugging Kingos have gone home and the Angle-Irons have arrived! He'd had the bloody lot- from nicked spare parts at the Motor Show [discovered when the display cars wouldn't start] to wives on the game to violence - the only thing he hadn't had was a murder (just 3 attempted and loads of GBH/ABH). he even joked that they flew the battalion out on a Tri-Star but it had been a 747 when it landed!

We had a Kingo Platoon commander at Harrogate and he would tell of the Monday morning Orderly Officer trip round the local lanes to check which vehicles the boys had TWOC'd to get back from the weekend. The best he saw was a (full) petrol tanker and an electric milk float pinched from the dairy next to the railway station 4 miles from camp. That said, we had a Kingo Sgt who managed to 'get' things that no one else could for training - I didn't bother asking any questions at all.

I was at Epi in '87 as well, 1RRF. I bought a pair of trainers from somewhere in Dodge, they lasted years. Mind, I am a bit of a scrooge.

Hah. I was up the road in the holiday camp known as Bloodhound with London OTC, doing our best to create mayhem and destruction throughout the island!

Ah, the Kingo's, bless 'em. In Cyprus my next door neighbour was the Sgt Maj of the Dhekelia RMP det. Decent chap who supported our Mess well. One Mess meeting he stood up for AOB and informed all that he was 'Ringing the Bell' as [and I quote] The Fugging Kingos have gone home and the Angle-Irons have arrived! He'd had the bloody lot- from nicked spare parts at the Motor Show [discovered when the display cars wouldn't start] to wives on the game to violence - the only thing he hadn't had was a murder (just 3 attempted and loads of GBH/ABH). he even joked that they flew the battalion out on a Tri-Star but it had been a 747 when it landed!

We had a Kingo Platoon commander at Harrogate and he would tell of the Monday morning Orderly Officer trip round the local lanes to check which vehicles the boys had TWOC'd to get back from the weekend. The best he saw was a (full) petrol tanker and an electric milk float pinched from the dairy next to the railway station 4 miles from camp. That said, we had a Kingo Sgt who managed to 'get' things that no one else could for training - I didn't bother asking any questions at all.
The TA Kingo's were just as bad. I was on a course with two of them many years ago, they were a f*****g nightmare.

In Cyprus, probably the worst of characters to inhabit the estates in Dhekelia when I was there (82-83) was the BFBS presenter and his wife, living in officers' quarters to the East of the Garrison (the maps show this estate in 'Cyprus' and not SBA now - must have been handed over for some reason?). There was an enormous kerfuffle when the stories of well-attended orgies at his address started to circulate, complete with car-keys-in-salad-bowl and subsequent DUI transgressions. He went on to great glory at Radio One, I believe, while some of his guests were subsequently notable for their absence at Garrison Comd's Conference. That two year posting had all the juicy goings-on; spies, blackmail, woofters, rape, wife-swapping, orgies, corruption. Must have been the sea air; I miss it.

Latest Threads