The absolute worst characters on pads estates

Oyibo

LE
Ration cards and fuel coupons were still alive and kicking within BFG when I left in 2001. It was all to do with certain items on sale in the NAAFI being duty free. You used to get a monthly allocation of fuel coupons to exchange in local garages as well; when driving back to the UK in your own car the last place you could use them to fill your tank was in the garage at Wankum (cause of much mirth) on the German/Dutch border.
Ah. Right-oh. I never served in Germany so did not know that.

Memory jog, observation:- My wife's ration card has her name as "W/O *********" which denotes to me that she has no standing in the military, and like all wives, are classed as excess baggage. Hold no rank, have no authority, and no real powers of control. I understand the snobbish attraction of rank amongst the officers wives, but non the less, its their husbands that are serving, not them, and as such, even the lowest private, out ranks them, or am I missing something here?
It's all about the amount of noise created. As a rule wives of should be treated with the same respect as you would for something large , fast moving, with fangs and claws and a taste for human flesh. Ignore that rule you are likely to spend time doing something you don't enjoy doing.

Surely you would have preferred to pay 3 times as much for Heinz baked beans in English than a tin with boxhead writing on it?
Although when I was newly arrived I bought a chicken from the shop which was stringy and with hardly any meat on it. I didn't understand what a suppenhunchun was, soon learnt though. Pretty much everything else you could tell from the picture on the label, just cooking instructions could be more difficult to translate.
The greatest display of lack of self awareness I ever saw was around 2008 when the NAAFI finally capitulating and selling British magazines at RRP not the inflated selling price and trying to pass that off as value to the customer.

I visited the US Commissary in Hoenfelds Training Area in 2008 and was amazed that all of the produce was imported and was really cheap. Not 1.50 for a loaf of stale bread.

roninxix

War Hero
Even though Laughing Gas worked in the NAAFI we rarely done any shopping there at all. It used to amaze me watching people push several trolleys around the NAAFI supermarket piled high. I know the money was good in BFG but it wasn’t exactly pop star wages.

I visited the US Commissary in Hoenfelds Training Area in 2008 and was amazed that all of the produce was imported and was really cheap. Not 1.50 for a loaf of stale bread.
Yeah PXs were really great, although sometimes had problems in the class 7 (? the area that sold booze) with BFG ration card. I still have a Huffy bike I bought from a PX in 1989.

Ration cards were still i use when I was last over there a couple of years ago.
I was once told the story behind the seemingly random collection of items you could buy tax free, and why we had to do it in order to claim tax free cars, but it was lost in the alcohol haze of my BFG orientation course (eg. fuel and booze obvious, coffee, not a clue (tariffs?)).
I think part of it was designed in response to black market activities in Germany post-war and was never amended.

Even though Laughing Gas worked in the NAAFI we rarely done any shopping there at all. It used to amaze me watching people push several trolleys around the NAAFI supermarket piled high. I know the money was good in BFG but it wasn’t exactly pop star wages.
Markthauf in Belm for the weekly shop. Odds and ends + spirits, etc in the NAAFI. as required.

Not forgetting the Geordie/Porridge Wog/QLR (substitute as required) harridan that may be found in German stores informing the local populace in a loud voice that, "and we don't gas wor Jews pet", when chastised by a Fraulein for clouting her drag along snot factory.*

*This may or may not have basis in fact.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
I think part of it was designed in response to black market activities in Germany post-war and was never amended.
It was strange that it was only whisky and gin though, not vodka and brandy (or any other strong spirit). Also it wasnt until after the year 2000 cigars and rolling tobacco was rationed.
Tea used to be rationed up until around 2000 when it was discovered it was cheaper in the Real than the NAAFI (As was coffee but that remained on ration)
The yanks rationed everything over 40% proof but their Smirnoff and Bacardi was 37.5 (as I discovered while filling the boot and the back seats of my car up, when it was Black Friday)

Latest Threads