The absolute worst characters on pads estates

I vaguely remember a lad who would volunteer for guard, as he would get something to eat. His wife was Irish, a really nasty peice of work.
I can think of another lad who's wife was only sixteen when he married her. There were a lot of rumours about her when we were in Boz.

roninxix

War Hero
Due to Breaking ones leg, I was voluntold to work in the UWO whilst the battalion was deployed to NI from ‘traz. It was singularly the worse thing I had ever done up to that point in my career.

One of the best moments being when a pads wife was marched into OC Rear Party’s office for orders due to ration card fraud. The SM even pulled her up for tick tocking.

It was due to these experiences whilst working in the UWO which confirmed my intent to buy my own house once out of BFG and escape the Chatsworth type lifestyle of married quarters.

Just round the corner for me, Buchen Stasse!
Looking at the last three letters in your username I'm guessing Green Howards? They were in Belfast Bks when I was there.

More generally, does anyone remember the pads wives in Soest who were done for 'keeping a disorderly house' (running a brothel in one of the MSQs) when their husbands were deployed on Op GRANBY. I can't remember the unit exactly but I've got RRF or AAC in my mind.

Memory jog, observation:- My wife's ration card has her name as "W/O *********" which denotes to me that she has no standing in the military, and like all wives, are classed as excess baggage. Hold no rank, have no authority, and no real powers of control. I understand the snobbish attraction of rank amongst the officers wives, but non the less, its their husbands that are serving, not them, and as such, even the lowest private, out ranks them, or am I missing something here?
That means of expression got binned in the early 90s as being somewhat old-fashioned and not reflective of modern society.

Oyibo

LE
Due to Breaking ones leg, I was voluntold to work in the UWO whilst the battalion was deployed to NI from ‘traz. It was singularly the worse thing I had ever done up to that point in my career.

One of the best moments being when a pads wife was marched into OC Rear Party’s office for orders due to ration card fraud. The SM even pulled her up for tick tocking.

It was due to these experiences whilst working in the UWO which confirmed my intent to buy my own house once out of BFG and escape the Chatsworth type lifestyle of married quarters.
NI tour and ration card fraud??? Was it during the Easter Uprising?

Looking at the last three letters in your username I'm guessing Green Howards? They were in Belfast Bks when I was there.

More generally, does anyone remember the pads wives in Soest who were done for 'keeping a disorderly house' (running a brothel in one of the MSQs) when their husbands were deployed on Op GRANBY. I can't remember the unit exactly but I've got RRF or AAC in my mind.
German geography is not my strongest subject, I know that 3 RRF were in Hemer when they went on Granby. We (1 RRF) amalgamated with them in '92 at Warminster, that rumour rings no bells.
Doesn't mean it didn't happen though.

NI tour and ration card fraud??? Was it during the Easter Uprising?
Ration cards and fuel coupons were still alive and kicking within BFG when I left in 2001. It was all to do with certain items on sale in the NAAFI being duty free. You used to get a monthly allocation of fuel coupons to exchange in local garages as well; when driving back to the UK in your own car the last place you could use them to fill your tank was in the garage at Wankum (cause of much mirth) on the German/Dutch border.

German geography is not my strongest subject, I know that 3 RRF were in Hemer when they went on Granby. We (1 RRF) amalgamated with them in '92 at Warminster, that rumour rings no bells.
Doesn't mean it didn't happen though.
Having thought about it I'm pretty sure it was 3 Regt AAC at Soest. Sorry for impugning the honour of the Third Fusiliers!

Ration cards and fuel coupons were still alive and kicking within BFG when I left in 2001. It was all to do with certain items on sale in the NAAFI being duty free. You used to get a monthly allocation of fuel coupons to exchange in local garages as well; when driving back to the UK in your own car the last place you could use them to fill your tank was in the garage at Wankum (cause of much mirth) on the German/Dutch border.
Ration cards were still i use when I was last over there a couple of years ago.
I was once told the story behind the seemingly random collection of items you could buy tax free, and why we had to do it in order to claim tax free cars, but it was lost in the alcohol haze of my BFG orientation course (eg. fuel and booze obvious, coffee, not a clue (tariffs?)).

Ration cards were still i use when I was last over there a couple of years ago.
I was once told the story behind the seemingly random collection of items you could buy tax free, and why we had to do it in order to claim tax free cars, but it was lost in the alcohol haze of my BFG orientation course (eg. fuel and booze obvious, coffee, not a clue (tariffs?)).
Agreement post WW2 the SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement), hence the peculiar 'rationing' of gin and whisky.
Have a read:

Although I always bought my coffee from Marktkauf during the weekly shop with an Abwicklungshein and never had a problem.

Agreement post WW2 the SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement), hence the peculiar 'rationing' of gin and whisky.
Have a read:

Although I always bought my coffee from Marktkauf during the weekly shop with an Abwicklungshein and never had a problem.
Yes I get that its included, but there was a specific reason why it had to be tax free as part of the SOFA. The Colonel who worked at UKSC(G) (and was far too enthusiastic about it) had it as one of his favourite dits.
You're right I used to buy mine from the local shop because, why would you do the big shop in the NAAFI?!

You're right I used to buy mine from the local shop because, why would you do the big shop in the NAAFI?!
Surely you would have preferred to pay 3 times as much for Heinz baked beans in English than a tin with boxhead writing on it?
Although when I was newly arrived I bought a chicken from the shop which was stringy and with hardly any meat on it. I didn't understand what a suppenhunchun was, soon learnt though. Pretty much everything else you could tell from the picture on the label, just cooking instructions could be more difficult to translate.

Latest Threads