Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RearParty, Sep 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The artist James Napier who made the sculpture of The Abandoned Soldier is asking for people to vote on a photo of the sculpture to use as a logo and design for pins, badges etc.

Below is a message from the homepage:

The response to the BBC 2 documentary “The Battle of Trafalgar Square” which was part of The Power to the People series investigating the support soldiers receive returning from conflict has been very encouraging. There has been a lot of interest in the sculpture of The Abandoned Soldier becoming the figurehead and symbol for soldiers and veterans living with the consequences of war. There are three variations of The Abandoned Soldier below to choose from. We feel the emotion of The Abandoned Soldier changes depending on the angle of the sculpture, so we want to know which image you feel gives the most accurate portrayal. Once the vote has been cast by September 23rd we will commence production of badges and cufflinks, these will raise money for the Abandoned Soldier fund and Combat Stress, enabling us erect a permanent bronze copy of the sculpture in a prominent location for the public to show their gratitude and respect. Please return to this site to for further announcements and launch dates for badges etc.

Click on the this link to go to the website:

A link to the petition for a permanent home for the sculpture is here:

Please vote as this means money for Combat Stress. Please pass on the info and links.

Attached Files:

2. Considering most of the blokes are in their teens or twenties, why does the figure represent someone so old? I can see the point of showing the strain etc, but to me this doesn't look representative of the troops.

Can't fault the motive though obviously. Good work all.
  3. Don´t forget all the other veterans from Britains small wars from 1945 to present.
  4. I believe the face was modelled on the lad called Tweedy? Got blown off his Challenger in the Iraq war. They showed him on the programme modelling for it.
  5. Daniel Twiddy? It looks nothing like him.
  6. Doesn´t really matter who it looks like. It´s representative of all wounded veterans. Please vote!
  7. It now needs to be scupltered to represent the younger men and women that now die in conflict
  8. Er, it's not to remember those who have fallen in battle.

Its to highlight the plight of the thousands of injured and forgotten who have served the country and have been abandoned.
  9. Whichever version is chosen, it is an extremely powerful and emotive sculpure in it's own right. It is symbolism at it's very best!
  10. Just tried to vote but couldn't as I don't have outlook express set up.Is there another way to vote than clicking on the pic?
  11. That's not it's purpose as previously stated.The age looks fine as it looks young enough to be someone who has served recently and old enough to be someone from who has served in the last couple of decades. The general public need to be made aware that veterans are of all ages not just those who remain from WW2 and those,sadly, reported in the media on a nearly daily basis. He seems to fit that gap.
  12. Just copy all of the information across to the relevant fields in the new message window of whichever email system you use! :)
  13. Cool didnt know if that would work.Wondered if it was an automated counting system e.g click and the count goes up, send an individual e-mail it doesnt get added.
  14. I can't say with 100% certainty, but as not everyone will have Outlook set up, I doubt that's the case. I sent it from my gmail account and haven't had any delivery error reports, so I suspect it's OK.