The 84mm Carl Gustav MAW "The stuff of nightmares"

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by simroy, Jul 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Number 1 on the Charlie G must have been one of the most hated jobs in an infantry platoon and the most useless morale destroying bits of kit to have to carry on exercise or on a tab? Can't think of any positives about it?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Probably the most hated job by 1 & 2 in an RE Troop too. WTF did we have it for? Oh I know; getting fitter on runs and ballast. Trouble is, a command of "back blast area clear" was followed by a discussion as to what 'that bloke just said' as it always came out as a conversation from Mars Attacks.(that film hadn't been invented yet either) One training round every four years or so was the norm (for us) and honed every operator to ninja level, nearly.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. How was that ever considered state of the art? Ever? You fcukers should clearly have died years ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

I remember lugging it on exercise from Sandhurst at STANTA, and having to use para cord as a sling - absolute agony.
  5. I did!

1234 etc
  6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

cuddling up to the number one after loading with as much cotton wool under you amplivox as you could get in there and still ending up deaf for the day.

volunteering to carry the gimpy cos it was lighter

its still used I do believe as they worked up the ammo a bit - fortunately not by us.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Wasn't it used in anger only once by the Brits... in the Falklands, against a ship? Prob wrong, as ever.
  8. I was an instructor at Depot the Kings Division in the early 80's and we used to take the recruits up to Warcop for live firing of the beast and i remember despite wearing 'double' hearing protection after, 20 TPTP rounds and the annual 1 HEAT round that we fired i had a nose bleed for several days and that dammed ringing noise in my head lasted till about 1995?
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. So crap and 'outdated', that the US Army Rangers have adopted the series three model in the last few years.

Personally I feel pity for the poor barsteward who is expected to hoik that about on an FTX
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I heard they used it for bunker busting as well on the Falklands. Might be right?
  11. I should imagine certainly more accurate than I am. Thought 'Milan' took that honour?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Yes I think that's correct and I think they also knocked out an Amtrac with it as well?
  13. Strange you should mention the RE seem to remember during a search operation near Forkhill South Armagh in 1980 that the REST used one (TPTP i think) to fire at a derelict building, not sure why, that they were going to search?
  14. If any of you Army cadets had ever used one in action you would realize it was a f@cking beast of a piece of kit, I only fired one once in a shit situation,no "Felix" available so I was tasked to engage a hijacked 3 ton van with a Charlie G,just in case it was an IED , two rounds fired and the truck was a burned out wreck, f@cking marvellous, but unfortunately it most certainly was not an IED, no secondary explosion, Oh well
    • Like Like x 3
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 2
  15. Crawled the best part of a kilometre with one at Otterburn. The only time I've known Otterburn to be in blazing sunshine. The carrot on the stick was that I'd be firing the live round that my No.2 had dragged across the bracken.

Gets to the firing point. "Load", "Loaded", "On", "Clear"...

DS stopped us because the range was too dry. Why couldn't the twat have told us that before we started?
    • Funny Funny x 1