For Inspection The 75th Anniversary D - Day Group Build

cheers Helm, my image host tinypic is closing down this year, so I will be shifting over to google image host, or photobucket, once I've sussed out which is easier to use

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@SPROCKET321 you're doing your usual good job there fella and given me the virtual arrse kick to complete my diorama. All vehicles and most figures are built, I just have a personality to add. Started on the base yesterday, must say it's looking good although Mrs Smeg wasn't too impressed with me cleaning POP off me tools in the kitchen sink! Still, at least the sink-trap is clean now. Hopefully, I'll be able to crack on today unless the Leader of the Opposition (aka Mrs Smeg) has other ideas.

@SPROCKET321 you're doing your usual good job there fella and given me the virtual arrse kick to complete my diorama. All vehicles and most figures are built, I just have a personality to add. Started on the base yesterday, must say it's looking good although Mrs Smeg wasn't too impressed with me cleaning POP off me tools in the kitchen sink! Still, at least the sink-trap is clean now. Hopefully, I'll be able to crack on today unless the Leader of the Opposition (aka Mrs Smeg) has other ideas.
Modelling, not the best recreational activity to preserve domestic bliss is it, still, I hope you pointed out the immaculate sink trap after you turned your attention to it, so there's a silver lining. point out that it usually keeps you from under her feet, apart from the odd EVA into her domain. You could always offer to do dinner and regain all the lost points.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Modelling, not the best recreational activity to preserve domestic bliss is it, still, I hope you pointed out the immaculate sink trap after you turned your attention to it, so there's a silver lining. point out that it usually keeps you from under her feet, apart from the odd EVA into her domain. You could always offer to do dinner and regain all the lost points.
I have been sentenced to 7-days kitchen fatigues over the POP incident. What made it worse was she had to clean the sink trap out! I have been told any further infringements will result in loss of bedroom privileges; hopefully that means I can sleep undisturbed.
Anyway back on thread, anyone got any good ideas for making trees. The plastic ones look shite and wire ones just don't cut it.

I have been sentenced to 7-days kitchen fatigues over the POP incident. What made it worse was she had to clean the sink trap out! I have been told any further infringements will result in loss of bedroom privileges; hopefully that means I can sleep undisturbed.
Anyway back on thread, anyone got any good ideas for making trees. The plastic ones look shite and wire ones just don't cut it.
I've had good results with the plastic Woodland Scenics tree armatures. I've done some with their 'foliage clusters' and some with their 'foliage' (which is rather like a miniature camo net). I had some false starts from using rubbish glue, but I've now used Bison Contact Adhesive, which works like a dream as it's VERY tacky and the foliage immediately sticks to it and stays stuck.

I'll try to post some photos up later.

Here are some pics I took while building those trees a couple of weeks ago. The armatures come 'flat-packed' on sprues, so you cut them off the sprues and then spiral-twist the trunks and then the branches to get the shape you want. The plastic formula responds well to this treatment and I didn't have a single one break out of 150 trees. These are for wargaming rather than dioramas, so I've based them on MDF discs. The trees come with a small plastic base that the trees plug into, so that gives you a nice flat 'foot' that can be glued onto the baseboard. I've also inserted heated needles up some trunks, so that they can simply be stabbed into polystyrene terrain-boards (great for sloped terrain).

Some Woodland Scenics trees half-finished (assembled, stuck to bases and the bases sanded - the next step is to spray the whole lot brown, then flock the bases and stick foliage to the branches):

Some tress finished off with 'Foliage Clusters' and 'Clump Foliage' ('Foliage Clusters' are big compressed lumps of chopped green sponge and fibre that you then rip to shape and stick on. 'Clumped Foliage' is smaller chunks of the same stuff.):

Not a great photo, but here are some hedges I did using their 'Foliage', which is a sort of fibre mesh, impregnated with coarse flock - rather like a miniature camo net - that you then rip up and drape over the glue-covered branches (I did the hedges with rubberised horsehair covered in PVA glue and their 'Blended Turf' flock):

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've had good results with the plastic Woodland Scenics tree armatures. I've done some with their 'foliage clusters' and some with their 'foliage' (which is rather like a miniature camo net). I had some false starts from using rubbish glue, but I've now used Bison Contact Adhesive, which works like a dream as it's VERY tacky and the foliage immediately sticks to it and stays stuck.

I'll try to post some photos up later.
excellent, thanks a lot mate

You're welcome. I should add that the foliage netting is marginally quicker than the clumped stuff - about ten minutes per tree instead of 15.

My late Father, did an awful lot of WW1 stuff, as most of the tree in the area of the front were shell blasted, he used real twigs to the right scale.

Rather late to this one I'm afraid so I'll have to play catch up! This has been sitting around in my stash for ages so I thought I'd better get it built. 1/76 scale Morris C8 and 17 Pdr from Revell (originally Matchbox). I built the jeep ages ago and made a start on the base last night.

_20190812_171437.JPG

daz

LE
Rather late to this one I'm afraid so I'll have to play catch up! This has been sitting around in my stash for ages so I thought I'd better get it built. 1/76 scale Morris C8 and 17 Pdr from Revell (originally Matchbox). I built the jeep ages ago and made a start on the base last night.

View attachment 410101
It looked better in multi colours :)

this is the picture I had trouble with earlier, the tri colour scheme, red brown, olive green and desert yellow colours. These paints were supplied to the crews in a paste to be thinned with fuel and applied in the field. Hence why Gerry tanks have so many colour variations, some applied by handbrush, some by airgun/spraygun.

ches

LE
this is the picture I had trouble with earlier, the tri colour scheme, red brown, olive green and desert yellow colours. These paints were supplied to the crews in a paste to be thinned with fuel and applied in the field. Hence why Gerry tanks have so many colour variations, some applied by handbrush, some by airgun/spraygun.
Oh no they bloody weren't! There was a very rigidly imposed factory supplied & applied set of colours in the same pattern to all types of panzer from 1943 onwards.

According to the many fannies populating the interweb with their tedious slagging of anything with a DunkelGelb colour a faint shade different from that produced by Tamiya/Mig/Vallejo/B&Q.
The bunch of sad belmers.

Good to know, me and Halftrack just spent the day removing a load of Benzine based Zimeritte.
You could have told us earlier, bloody stuff is rock hard!!!!

LARD

War Hero
Oh no they bloody weren't! There was a very rigidly imposed factory supplied & applied set of colours in the same pattern to all types of panzer from 1943 onwards.

According to the many fannies populating the interweb with their tedious slagging of anything with a DunkelGelb colour a faint shade different from that produced by Tamiya/Mig/Vallejo/B&Q.
The bunch of sad belmers.

When the gang visited The Weald Foundation a few weeks ago, they explained the lengths they go to get correct paint shades. They have original chips analysed by a company in Lincoln, who can, in effect, turn the clock back to when he paint was new and had not been degraded by the passage of time etc. They have a Zundapp Combo there with the bike fully restored to 'as new from the factory', but have not done the chair. The colour differences are massive!

Sorry @ches I must be a fanny

LARD

War Hero
Good to know, me and Halftrack just spent the day removing a load of Benzine based Zimeritte.
You could have told us earlier, bloody stuff is rock hard!!!!
How did you get on. I thought the photo of you looking pissed off was quite a chuckle...

ches

LE
When the gang visited The Weald Foundation a few weeks ago, they explained the lengths they go to get correct paint shades. They have original chips analysed by a company in Lincoln, who can, in effect, turn the clock back to when he paint was new and had not been degraded by the passage of time etc. They have a Zundapp Combo there with the bike fully restored to 'as new from the factory', but have not done the chair. The colour differences are massive!

Sorry @ches I must be a fanny
They did the same with the Tiger at Bovvy. Its the subject of an excellent Haynes manual. The paint research done was brilliant. Ppl harping on about whats 'correct' & whats not when some poor bugger decides to post a pic of their finished panzer is ruining parts of the model community.