The 70KM Sniper

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Mr Happy, Jan 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

DID says:

Do I see a Brit change of tactics in the offing? How to exploit 70KM depth fire? Rather than use UAV's are we going to be using ISTAR regiments and OP's again?
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If weapons keep getting smarter it won't be long before they ID their targets via Facebook and bill themselves to the targets Paypal account.....
  3. [/quote]

Do I see a Brit change of tactics in the offing? How to exploit 70KM depth fire? Rather than use UAV's are we going to be using ISTAR regiments and OP's again?[/quote]

One of the many tasks a UAV can perform, is as an airborne OP.
  4. Anything with that kind of range would be well employed as counterbattery artillery, well out of range of enemy artillery and able to protect the shorter range guns, and so would be guided by STA batteries.

If you wanted to use it as long-range artillery to hit targets deep in the enemy rear; POL points, bridges, command posts etc then you'd have to use UAVs or other aerial observation to observe the fall of shot if you wanted to keep your OP party away from the enemy.
  5. Err we've had MLRS in Afghanistan simce 07 so not really a recent change of operational tactics.

We now have satellite guided ordinance which can be used to reduce collateral damage in an around urbanised areas. I believe the accuracy is 6m in 60Km.

The next shift, which will possibly be launched from MLRS will be "fire and forget" rounds which will loiter and can therefore be used to protect patrols whereby ambushes can be immediately met with heavy ordnance.

Have a look for videos of the B1 in action on youtube, I think (please dont quote me on this) that it was 35 Bty (well done Dutch Vinny and Brett!)
  6. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

Call me reference the answers to all of this mate.
  7. msr

msr LE

I think the cold war ended nigh on 20 years ago...
  8. GunnersQuadrant

The ammunition allows us as gunners to prosecute targets over a large distance of force deployment with greater percentage of guaranteed CFF in TIC and has been highly successful in Afghanistan

It is the current platform of choice when patrolling outside the ranges of the guns or a high degree of accuracy is required. The doctrine you refer to has changed for us all in the gunner fraternity, genfor/soviet theory no longer has any relevance in todays high tempo ops. From grid square to metre square. Send me a PM if you need any information regarding the thread.
  9. Sparky says
    "I believe the accuracy is 6m in 60Km."
    When I but a pup late 60's The RA where saying in recruitment adverts they could drop a 'Shell' in a barrel at X miles.
    Some one challenged them to do so and the RA then said that a 'Barrel' was 70 mtrs diameter.
    I do hope that he 6 at 60 is spot on.
  10. This just adds to the debate on the airspace in theatre. I know the 1st 10,000ft is getting REALLY busy and the deconfliction there is a major C2 issue that will take some working out.
  11. GunnersQuadrant

Not at all it is a simple process which takes no time at all.
  12. UK is already working on a loitering missile called "Fire shadow", even the yanks have a version of it for one of their requirements.
  13. For whom? The last ACC convinced me, with extensive evidence, that it was a hellish task that would only get worse. I'm looking at it from tha Light Blue perspective rather than Gunner.
  14. ... I suspect (as the opinion is coming from the Gunner Borg) that the proposed solution is "gunner control of the forward battlezone".. "nothing manned below 20 grand".. :roll:
  15. GMLRS is accurate as the grid that is fed into it. Moreover, its 'sniping' capability degrades rather when the target moves 50 yds between the fire mission being called and the round arriving. Moreover, all GPS/INS guided munitions are vulnerable to degradations in GPS coverage, so what is great for Afghan might not be so great when we go toe-to-toe with, say, the Chinese.

GMLRS is a great addition to our capability but is not a 'panacea' weapon (can any be considered thus?). It will complement existing systems and Air/Avn.