The 7 Ss

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Abject apologies for this one, and i promise no Wah, but what are the 7 S's? re locating the enemy.

Am preparing a lesson for Tuesday night, and i cannot for the life of me remember all 7 of them. So far i have
Shape
Shine
Silouhette
Sound (?)

No excuse for this, but it is Sunday and i am a little hungover, so can anyone help??

Silhouette, Shadow, Movement are the only ones I can remember that you havent got.

Cant remember exactly , but think something about Surface Texture may be in there too

Cancel sihouette,your not the only one with a hangover.

To my knowledge its:
- Shine (texture)
- Shape
- Shadow
- Spacing
- Shilhouette
- Movement ( i know, not an S, but to my knowlede, now used)
- Sound (although i've heard it no longer counts, stupid as that sounds)

Hope that helps.

30 years since I was taught this but, I remember it as:

Shape
Shine
Shadow
Silhouette
Spacing
Skyline
Movement

yeh sudden movement i thought skyline and silhouette were the same thing and what about smell. i had a geordie banging on about how he located the enemy in belize or some jungle place by smelling coffee !

Shape
Shine
Shadow
Sound
Silhouette
Sudden Movement

Apologies, can't remember the rest........forgetheimers must be setting in :roll:

fastmedic

I was taught all those with the addition of 'Aircraft'

Ruins the pleasing 'S' theme, but it forces troops to think that camouflage and concealment needs to be effective 3 dimensionally and to consider the plan view.

Tilbake said:
30 years since I was taught this but, I remember it as:

Shape
Shine
Shadow
Silhouette
Spacing
Skyline
Movement

Skyline and Surface could be the same, I was also taught "Surface" which covered texture and colour.

Shape
Silhouette
Texture
Shadow
Spacing
Movement

From Inf Trg Vol 1 SAA (Individual Training) Pam 2 Fieldcraft, Battle Lessons and Exercises

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Dilfor said:
Singing.

Gives your position away every time.

As do both samba and salsa. Don't do it, soldier.
Sad, but true. Think of the number of casualties caused when, under effective enemy fire, an NCO shouts "Get Down!" and soldiers then start dancin'.....

BlotBangRub said:
I was taught all those with the addition of 'Aircraft'

Ruins the pleasing 'S' theme, but it forces troops to think that camouflage and concealment needs to be effective 3 dimensionally and to consider the plan view.
I recall Maps being mentioned, probably along with Aircraft. The key thing with Aircraft is that everyone tends to look up when one goes over and all those (relatively) clean faces stand out on aerial photos. Same with maps.

It's going back a bit, but I was taught:
Shape, Shine, Shadow, Silhouette and Movement.
At that time it wasn't described as any particular number of Ss.

When instructing, I added Sound of my own volition.

Later, Spacing crept in.

I've always believed that Skyline was merely an alternative for people who can't spell Silhouette, though Background is probably a better term.

Thus, getting to the point without becoming over-involved with how many Ss there are:

Shape
Shine
Shadow
Spacing
Sound
Background
Movement

If you're really desperate for a reminder, there are 3 "Sh"s, followed by an SSBM!

Latest Threads