Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 6 O'Clock swill ie Licensing hours in NZ for 50 years.

D

Deleted 60082

I should imagine that she received the bash for her efforts that night.
Sadly, your are probably right. The level of domestic violence against women and children in New Zealand - principally in the Maori and Pasifika communities - is shocking and places New Zealand at the bottom of the league amongst developed countries.

gafkiwi

War Hero
Absolutely the same for me. Found my Standard 4 (aged 10) Rugby Team photograph recently: cross legged, bare feet, all had skinned knees, and the captain clutching a full sized ball.

40 years on my wife still goes bonkers at me going around the house/garden/out to the car in bare feet. My son is now in Auckland and beginning to learn to do the same.
Yeah, from memory you didn't go to boots till around 12 years old or 14th grade I think it was in club rugby. Still cringe thinking about the times taking the field as a kid bare footed on frost covered fields. I guess its not surprising now to be out fencing in the paddock and have the kids walk out bare foot to join me across muddy paddocks covered in thistle and sheep crap and be un phased.

Similar licensing laws in SA. Fortunately they changed for the better just before I went into the army so a weekend pass could be spent getting fingers smelly and murdering brain cells.

Sadly, your are probably right. The level of domestic violence against women and children in New Zealand - principally in the Maori and Pasifika communities - is shocking and places New Zealand at the bottom of the league amongst developed countries.

I am afraid to say that you are 100% correct, and it is usually booze and/or drug-related these days.

D

Deleted 60082

I am afraid to say that you are 100% correct, and it is usually booze and/or drug-related these days
And the fault of the Pakeha, apparently.

Just before our son traveled out to NZ we watched 'Once were Warriors' together. Still shocking; still (sadly) accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, from memory you didn't go to boots till around 12 years old or 14th grade I think it was in club rugby.
Lovely memories.
Johannesburg winters, when it hasn't rained for months, the ground is rock hard, and still at about 2 degrees C.
Your feet are like iceblocks, and if you get tackled, it is like hitting concrete, with the added bonus of dead kikuyu grass.

D

Deleted 60082

Lovely memories.
Johannesburg winters, when it hasn't rained for months, the ground is rock hard, and still at about 2 degrees C.
Your feet are like iceblocks, and if you get tackled, it is like hitting concrete, with the added bonus of dead kikuyu grass.
Poof!

Ja, getting the dead dry grass in your kit was a hoot. Itched like hell and you never knew if you had something else in there with you. Bit of St Vitus' dance to clear it while waiting for a lineout or a scrum to take place.

Forgotten about the rock hard playing fields. Left a lot of skin there.

D

Deleted 60082

Puff of smoke and he was gone.
Just what he would have wanted.
What he wanted was the end of MMP leading to the stasis in the political machinery of New Zealand (as we are witnessing now). My brother was a rare breed: a conservative/right wing journalist and historian of some standing.

Ja, getting the dead dry grass in your kit was a hoot. Itched like hell and you never knew if you had something else in there with you. Bit of St Vitus' dance to clear it while waiting for a lineout or a scrum to take place.

Forgotten about the rock hard playing fields. Left a lot of skin there.
AND the dust!
Played at Benoni (IIRC), and the ground was so threadbare that every time anybody hit the deck, there was a huge brown cloud engulfing them.
Spent the next day or two coughing up muddy snot!

D

Deleted 60082

AND the dust!
Played at Benoni (IIRC), and the ground was so threadbare that every time anybody hit the deck, there was a huge brown cloud engulfing them.
Spent the next day or two coughing up muddy snot!
Whereas in New Zealand - Auckland (Waikaraka park - which was very boggy) - we just coughed up mud. Risk assessments? Bah!

edited to add: I am really surprised that some kids didn't drown there, whilst playing rugby.

Whereas in New Zealand - Auckland (Waikaraka park - which was very boggy) - we just coughed up mud. Risk assessments? Bah!

"Throw in... brown"
NZ jnrs v Lions, 77.

gafkiwi

War Hero
I am afraid to say that you are 100% correct, and it is usually booze and/or drug-related these days.
Its pretty much the same for the white trailer trash in their little enclaves around the main centers. Around the likes of Papakura (Sth Auckland) they tend to group regardless of ethnicity into one big pile of Sh*t Cvnts.

D

Deleted 60082

The wettest game I watched was All Blacks v Wallabies in about 1973: bow waves as the ABs scored tries (after try, after try...) .

gafkiwi

War Hero

edited to add: I am really surprised that some kids didn't drown there, whilst playing rugby.
Ah Waikaraka park, some memories on that field. Between there and a few other fields around Auckland it was probably a good thing it was pretty cold at times to limit the various nasties living in the mud.
I remember playing my first game on Eden Park at 11 yrs old and thinking "Where was all the mud, and is the grass real?"

And the fault of the Pakeha.

Just before our son traveled out to NZ we watched 'Once were Warriors' together. Still shocking; still (sadly) accurate.

A few years back I got to know the President of the local Mongrel Mob chapter.
I only had dealings and knew him when he never had his mongy clothes on, ie patchless, as they dont wear them all the time. A good guy when he wasn't doing mongy mob things, what he was like when he was, I do not know.

Anyway he had a son who turned 21 and he was putting on a party for him and asked me to help and show him how to erect a large marquee that he had sourced or more likely outsourced from somewhere.
This I did and things went swingingly.

After the work was done, he invited me to the party the following day.
The conversation went something like this.

Hey Bro you want to come to the party tomorrow.
Who is coming Guv, as that was the name he answered to.
Oh just a bunch of the lads.
Are you ******* mad.
Why not, its just some of the bros at my place, there will be no trouble.
**** me the cnuts will eat me, says I.

He just laughed.
Needless to say, I never went to the party.
Brave - no Sensible - yes.

The wettest game I watched was All Blacks v Wallabies in about 1973: bow waves as the ABs scored tries (after try, after try...) .
World Cup semifinal 1995.
Saffers v Frogs.
Pitch was a swamp - by coincidence the same stadium was under water yesterday -
Ref wants to call the game off, as it is too dangerous.

Because the Saffers had already picked up a couple of red cards, rules were that if the game was cncelled, the Frogs would go through to the Final.
So a plan was made - bunch of Zulu women on the pitch with brooms, sweeping the water away.

Game commenced late, Saffers won in controversial fashion.

Latest Threads