The 55 year old Commando

I wish he would stop going on and on about it. Body is older but mentally he should be much tougher...... obviously not. I thought he was going to cry when he passed the tarzan course. I know at least two 55 year olds who would pass (without the histrionics).

Without the sleepless nights and the Marine lifestyle the other lads suffer through training, the whole thing is pointless. Put him through the whole thing, and not just the fitness side, and it'd actually mean something. Running ten miles is a lot harder if you've been up since 4am bulling boots.

Good point...I am not privileged enough to have earned a green lid, but he is implying he gets it for doing his version of the Commando Course (as you say without all the other stuff).....and now he is complaining again.

extrader said:
Good point...I am not privileged enough to have earned a green lid, but he is implying he gets it for doing his version of the Commando Course (as you say without all the other stuff).....and now he is complaining again.
I would say it's down to the DS who have earned it

Spot on JP. Pleeease tell me he is not going to be awarded a green beret and a parade. 18 year old geezers are smiling and chatting and he is erm crying; mind you good bloke for going to film the chaps in AFG.

well if you saw the episode where he got the beret, it was made clear that it was an "honorary" thing, no one expect's him to go kill someone in Afghanistan, but he did go through a load of shit and pain to film those guy's and do the commando test's, I personally couldn't imagine doing monkey bar's with busted up finger's...ouch. :eek:

extrader said:
Spot on JP. Pleeease tell me he is not going to be awarded a green beret and a parade. 18 year old geezers are smiling and chatting and he is erm crying; mind you good bloke for going to film the chaps in AFG.
I think you would be too if you did the commando course at 55, you tw@t.

All I will say is fair play to the guy. 55 and doing a course that people 25 years younger struggle to pass.

Mind you, P coy was a lot harder !!

Good on him. To go through the course at that age is some achievement.

Serious respect.

Some of the comments on here are a) a bit harsh or b) stink of envy; Extrader's and AWOL's comments leave a nasty taste in the mouth in particular. Maybe you didn't mean to come across that way, who knows?

A couple of points, if I may? Firstly, as one who did two stints training nods I can tell you that no recruit ever collapsed, almost broke down, cried and picked themselves up again because they had been up bulling their boots. But completing the commando tests one after another in the week immediately following the final ex, usually whilst carrying an injury, often had something to do with it. And those who did collapse trying usually did it with great dignity just before lapsing into confused burble mode!

Secondly, it was ever only the drill instructors who did any of the the tests wearing hobnailed shiny drill boots and full blues. And they did it a) because it was their way of cheering the lads up, b) because they were bloody barmy and c) because us PWs were either pace setting in full kit (which the nods had kindly put together for me) or because we were sprinting about doing traffic or picking bodies up.

Thirdly, Chris Terril, and Ross Kemp, did a great job raising our respective profiles, so please stop slagging them off. Anybody can be vindictive, and none of the lads who trained with Terril (or looked after Kemp) did any of that. And that small fact alone should bloody well tell you something about Terril, Kemp and those "eighteen" year olds who knew them. A little of the recruits' humility would not go amiss.

Finally, how can one say of Chris Terill... 'Ha ... let's see how he really gets on' ... It's a repeat, FFS!

Harry :)

I saw this last year.

WHO DO YOU THINK IS TAKING THE VIDEO FOOTAGE of the platoon on the runs and marches?

At the beginning he explains that carrying the video camera, YOU KNOW, the 20lb commercial one you see at the footy matches on the side of the pitch, is the same as the weapon and other bits the trainees have to carry?

Talk about half cocked bond vaagen.

HarryBosch said:
Some of the comments on here are a) a bit harsh or b) stink of envy; Extrader's and AWOL's comments leave a nasty taste in the mouth in particular. Maybe you didn't mean to come across that way, who knows?

A couple of points, if I may? Firstly, as one who did two stints training nods I can tell you that no recruit ever collapsed, almost broke down, cried and picked themselves up again because they had been up bulling their boots. But completing the commando tests one after another in the week immediately following the final ex, usually whilst carrying an injury, often had something to do with it. And those who did collapse trying usually did it with great dignity just before lapsing into confused burble mode!

Secondly, it was ever only the drill instructors who did any of the the tests wearing hobnailed shiny drill boots and full blues. And they did it a) because it was their way of cheering the lads up, b) because they were bloody barmy and c) because us PWs were either pace setting in full kit (which the nods had kindly put together for me) or because we were sprinting about doing traffic or picking bodies up.

Thirdly, Chris Terril, and Ross Kemp, did a great job raising our respective profiles, so please stop slagging them off. Anybody can be vindictive, and none of the lads who trained with Terril (or looked after Kemp) did any of that. And that small fact alone should bloody well tell you something about Terril, Kemp and those "eighteen" year olds who knew them. A little of the recruits' humility would not go amiss.

Finally, how can one say of Chris Terill... 'Ha ... let's see how he really gets on' ... It's a repeat, FFS!

Harry.... I've never worn a green lid in my life, but I have tremendous respect for anyone that has. I've also got lots of respect for Mr Terril, he is one extraordinary man and a lot fitter and more determined than I have ever been.

My point was that he desperately wanted to win the coveted beret, but didn't do the same things the other lads had to do. As far as I can remember from seeing the programme a couple of months ago, he would knock off at the end of the day, go home to his missus and soak in a hot bath for two hours before getting ten hours sleep. Now if that is the case, it has to impact on his performance the next day. We all know what recruit training is like and it is careful designed to rachet up the pressure day after day through a combination of lack of sleep and demanding physical and mental tasks. Take one of those elements away and it has to make a difference.

Nevertheless, to do even a part of the training at his age deserves a big shiny bag of respect and admiration.

Bloody well done that man , did he go home in the evenings as he lives in London !!!!! plus if he did, he still needed to do his day job and get on with training so he could perform to a demanding high standard.

Awol said:
HarryBosch said:

Harry.... I've never worn a green lid in my life, but I have tremendous respect for anyone that has. I've also got lots of respect for Mr Terril, he is one extraordinary man and a lot fitter and more determined than I have ever been.

My point was that he desperately wanted to win the coveted beret, but didn't do the same things the other lads had to do. As far as I can remember from seeing the programme a couple of months ago, he would knock off at the end of the day, go home to his missus and soak in a hot bath for two hours before getting ten hours sleep. Now if that is the case, it has to impact on his performance the next day. We all know what recruit training is like and it is careful designed to rachet up the pressure day after day through a combination of lack of sleep and demanding physical and mental tasks. Take one of those elements away and it has to make a difference.

Nevertheless, to do even a part of the training at his age deserves a big shiny bag of respect and admiration.
i guess he had to go back to his offices or digs, review all the filming from that day, discuss the next days filming, upload the film (or some other such techy thingy whatsit) and do his day job. On top of actually doing the course, I think that's impressive