The 41st Anniversary of the bombing of 16 Para Bde's Officers Mess

2008_04_18_13_22_31.jpg

On the 22nd February 1972 at about 1220hrs, the Official IRA detonated a car bomb that had been parked outside the Officers mess building in Montgomery lines.

Capt Gerard Weston MBE RAchD

Mary Bosley, Jill Mansfield, Joan Lunn, Sheri Munton, Margaret Grant & John Haslar, Civilian staff at the mess,
lost their lives.

This coming Friday is the 41st anniversary of the attack, on the British Army.

...........Thank you DeltaDog for your most interesting perspective on the subject.

On a more serious note, 41 years ago today at 1215hrs.

There was an enormous explosion outside the Bde Officers Mess, which I will never forget. I was 50m from the building!

Seven people lost their lives that day, among them Margaret Grant the wife of a very good friend
& Thelma Bosley the mother of 4 boys.
One was serving with 1 Para at the time.
Two more joined the Regiment in years to come & one joined the Royal Marines.

I will never forget!

46991_10151461486424805_403308012_n.jpg

There was an enormous explosion outside the Bde Officers Mess, which I will never forget. I was 50m from the building!
So you keep saying. ****ing well done you. It's a tragedy, not an excuse for you to shout 'look at me'.

Gutted for the families of those involved, but it was 41 years ago. CA isn't really the place for it, is it?

So you keep saying. ****ing well done you. It's a tragedy, not an excuse for you to shout 'look at me'.

Gutted for the families of those involved, but it was 41 years ago. CA isn't really the place for it, is it?
Again...thank you for that very informative input!

It's in Current Affairs, as it is current, in case you haven't noticed.

Your disrespectful comments are also better suited for the Naafi then here.

It's about as current as WW2. If we're going to have a grief thread once a year for every casualty sustained in living memory, this forum is going to turn to shit.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
We won't bother with any sort of remembrance from now on then. I mean, the cheek of remembering those who gave their lives, willingly or not, is just outrageous. I think armistice day is a farce, too.

Very simply put, if you don't like it, there's an easy solution- don't read it.

Throbber.

The people responsible weren't just cnuts, they were incompetent cnuts:

The soldiers who were the intended targets were not present, as the regiment itself was stationed abroad and most staff officers were in their offices rather than the mess. Nonetheless, seven civilian staff were killed – five female kitchen staff who were leaving the premises, an elderly gardener, and Father Gerard Weston (a Catholic British Army chaplain).
1972 Aldershot Bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These people deserve to be remembered.

Oddly enough, thats exactly how you're coming across.

I think that this is one time your opinion should be kept to yourself.

Fukin Dicksplash bet you have never heard a footstep in anger let alone a shot you worthless ****

What the **** is wrong with you people?

This is the Current Affairs forum. Something that happened 41 years ago is not current.

My point, in its entirety, is that this thread is posted in the wrong forum.

Z

Zarathustra

What the **** is wrong with you people?

This is the Current Affairs forum. Something that happened 41 years ago is not current.

My point, in its entirety, is that this thread is posted in the wrong forum.
Then why don't you ignore it and let one of the CA moderators move it to a more suitable forum (if they think that's required).