The 41st Anniversary of the bombing of 16 Para Bde's Officers Mess

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by twothreeuptwothreedown, Feb 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 2008_04_18_13_22_31.jpg

On the 22nd February 1972 at about 1220hrs, the Official IRA detonated a car bomb that had been parked outside the Officers mess building in Montgomery lines.

Capt Gerard Weston MBE RAchD

Mary Bosley, Jill Mansfield, Joan Lunn, Sheri Munton, Margaret Grant & John Haslar, Civilian staff at the mess,
    lost their lives.

This coming Friday is the 41st anniversary of the attack, on the British Army.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. It was 41 years ago. Hardly Current Affairs.
  3. It felt pretty current when I heard the bang. Being only seven at the time, it made little impact on me however. Hardly the IRA's finest hour, and an utterly pointless waste of life.
  4. I bet it did. 41 years ago...
  5. ...........Thank you DeltaDog for your most interesting perspective on the subject.

On a more serious note, 41 years ago today at 1215hrs.

There was an enormous explosion outside the Bde Officers Mess, which I will never forget. I was 50m from the building!

Seven people lost their lives that day, among them Margaret Grant the wife of a very good friend
    & Thelma Bosley the mother of 4 boys.
    One was serving with 1 Para at the time.
    Two more joined the Regiment in years to come & one joined the Royal Marines.

I will never forget!

• Like Like x 1
  6. So you keep saying. ****ing well done you. It's a tragedy, not an excuse for you to shout 'look at me'.

Gutted for the families of those involved, but it was 41 years ago. CA isn't really the place for it, is it?
  7. You really are a spectacular ****.

Or a complete spastic.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Again...thank you for that very informative input!

It's in Current Affairs, as it is current, in case you haven't noticed.

Your disrespectful comments are also better suited for the Naafi then here.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Be nice Augustus!

He maybe can't help it!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Cock.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. We won't bother with any sort of remembrance from now on then. I mean, the cheek of remembering those who gave their lives, willingly or not, is just outrageous. I think armistice day is a farce, too.

Very simply put, if you don't like it, there's an easy solution- don't read it.

• Like Like x 3
  12. The irony is strong in this one.......
  13. The people responsible weren't just *****, they were incompetent *****:

1972 Aldershot Bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These people deserve to be remembered.
    • Like Like x 1