The 3rd Reunion of Support Company 10 Para (V) February 2011

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by hantsbloke, Apr 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

The 3rd Reunion of Support Company 10th Battalion The Parachute Regiment (V)

The 4th Reunion of Support Company 10th Battalion The Parachute Regiment (V) will take place on the IOW next February, the Mortars are included (God help us :roll: ) as is Support Group.

Please PM me for further details unless I have already contacted you or you are aware of the reunion.

Ps Mr Jim Shortt need not apply.
  2. I take it the reunion will not be held in the old Drill Hall?

3. No :roll: Last time I looked it had been knocked down, not sure if anything is built on there yet.

Good job really as what went on in that Drill Hall stays in that demolished Drill Hall :wink: Happy Days. :D
  4. I am aware that the TAC is no longer.

Bit of a fire, I gather...

5. One reply already, and no it was not Jim Shortt :roll:
  6. Hants,

I got the Ypres shirt, thanks matey.
  7. Cheers.

8. Mind you, Im still awaiting a response from Jim :roll:
  9. 10th Battalion Parachute Regiment (V)

The 10th Parachute Battalion was formed from the 2nd Battalion the Royal Sussex Regiment at Kabrit in the Suez Canal zone in January 1943 under Lt Col KBI Smyth.

It fought briefly in Italy under command of the 4th Parachute Brigade before returning to the UK in preparation for D-Day. The Battalion did not jump into Normandy and was held back over 15 cancelled operations until it was launched on Operation MARKET-GARDEN in September 1944. The Battalion jumped on the second lift near Arnhem under German fire on 18th September and was fought to virtual annihilation in the besieged Oosterbeek 1st Airborne Division perimeter. The last survivors got out across the Lower Rhine on 25th September. Captain Lionel Queripel with A Company was awarded a posthumous VC.

The under-strength Battalion was disbanded in November 1945.

In 1947 it was re-formed as the 10th (City of London) Parachute Battalion TA. It was re-designated 10 PARA (TA) in 1948 and again 10 PARA (V) in 1967.

In 1989 the Battalion formed part of the newly formed Parachute Regiment Group (PRG), an ad-hoc Regimental Headquarters grouping with the other two TA Battalions with a BAOR reinforcement role. The Battalion also committed individual reinforcements to the three regular parachute battalions on operations in various parts of the world from Northern Ireland beginning in 1969 onwards.

The 10th Battalion The Parachute Regiment was disbanded in June 1999, with one company transferring to 4 PARA(V), the sole remaining TA parachute Battalion.