The 36th (Ulster) Division

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by india-juliet, Jun 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shortly before leaving Belfast this morning I saw a mural just across from Sydenham Station.

The Modern day terrorist group the UVF who have seemed to model themselves on brave men of the 36th Ulster Division. The real Ulster Volunteer Force . Word has it next year nearly 1,000 UVF members will descend on Thiepval Wood as the modern UVF will disband.

They wont be abled to push the cameras away like they have done at Portadown and the CRS will take no shite either.
  2. Can we get a collection going to pay their tickets?
  3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I noticed the new flags & stuff yesterday on my way home.Typical of the wombles to use real life heroes & unit's to 'model' their fictional daydreams on,if you know what I mean.
  4. A mural in East Belfast now celebrating children's author C.S. Lewis rather than paramilitary imagery. A much better way of painting!

5. Ah yes, the UVF and their alter-ego, the IRA - "Piggy-backing on the reputations and deeds of better men since God was in short trousers"
  6. Have you noticed that there are much less flags up than previous years?

My estate has none up whatsoever...a change from last year when it looked like VE day!!! :D
  7. Yes you are correct, on my visit to Belfast this weekend I had noticed the lack of flags more so in the Republican Areas.
  8. I would agree with you yesterday Bossdog, however today I drive home through the Braniel and find someone was busy last night. At least it's not _ucking UVF flags, just Union ones.

As for the murals, a painter called Kenny Blair has been putting up several Northern Ireland themed murals to replace some of the old rubbish that was up for years over the past year, particularly in east Belfast:
  9. He should start by painting over the UFF mural on Sandy Row just by Gt Victoria Street Station. Not exactly a good sight for tourists!!

10. What do you mean india-juliet thats what all the tourists come to see :eek:
    Every backpacker that comes hear goes on those bus trips that tour the murals.
  11. What saddos. They would rather look at murals that glorify W***kers & murdering scum than see what outstanding coastline the Province has..
  12. Well that is the way of the world my friend :cry:
  13. INDIA-JULIET - well spoken my friend, and what an excellent coastline it is . Those that choose to travel to that beautiful isle only to view the 'artwork'are misinformed ( by the NI tourist board perhaps ?) of what attractions there are, ( too many to lsit) and are also missing out on some spectacular scenery both inland and coastal. The people of Northern Ireland have a country to be proud of and their representavitives should be empowered to show off its' beauty- not the scars of the past.
  14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

And the most famous 'wall' has got to be the Newtownards RD/Templemore Ave one opposite the ecently demolished loyalist bar!
    But,the one that sticks in my mind is the Biblical (John ch3 vs 16)one on the barn on the Bangor/Belfast A2.Been there eversince I can remember!
  15. At the younger end of the market at least there appears to be only two things in NI.

The Giant's Causeway
    Sites/Relics relating to the troubles.