The 330,000 Sinn Fein want to forget!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mad_Moriarty, Oct 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ceasefire or no ceasefire, it appears that some die-hard nationalists still cannot tolerate those who wish to remember the Irish servicemen who died in two world wars.

Sadly, Irish Boy bands like Westlife have incurred the wrath of Sinn Fein when promoting the Poppy day appeal launch.

The members of Westlife are the same age as many of the tens of the thousands of Irishmen - many from poor backgrounds with few job prospects - who signed up for the British Army 60 years ago at the outbreak of war.

It is estimated 120,000 Irishmen served with the British Forces during the second world war. 210,000 Irish soldiers took part in the first world war, 35,000 were killed.

The Royal British Legion has 10 branches and 1,000 members in the Irish Republic.

2. My first CO was from the Irish Republic. Do many southern Irish still join the British armed forces?

3. Well I'm certainly about to, and the two others with me on my first interview were also both from the south.

4. Whats the link to the article?

5. Its a combination of points I put togeather, It dose raise awarness to the fact that Sinn Fein always want to bury these facts.

6. Not as many as before. For years Ireland was an economic basket case. There's plenty of jobs and money at home these days.

7. My first CO was of Anglo Irish extraction, he and both of his brothers served with some distinction. One became a general in fact.