The 3 types of Infantry.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by FrenchyNW, Jan 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,
    Just after a generalisation of the 3 types, so far i have got.

1) Light Infantry, Basically the walking to fight bunch.

2) Mech Infantry, If im not mistaken these use Warriors? They use them to get into battle and as support?

The above two ive seen in a few regiments im interested in, however i am unable to find out what regiment the 3rd is in.

3) Armoured Infatry, They use Bulldog APCs? Pretyy much the same as 2?

4) Air Assault, Use helicopters planes anything to do with the air? Does that included para training as well?

Not sure if they are correct or if i may of mixed them up. But generaly do i get the jist of the different types of infantry.

Also does any one have a more indepth descreiption? Ive tried searching on the Army jobs website and the Army main website.

Sorry if the question has been asked before.

2. Armoured Inf - Equipped with Warrior AFV.
    Mechanised Inf - Equipped with Saxon APC (now Mastiff also).
    Light Role Inf - Equipped for General Service.
    Air Assault Inf - Equipped for Air Mobile Operations.
  3. Cheers, i know light and mech infantry are very common in regiments but is it the same for air assault and armoured infantry? Or are they specific to a certain Regiment (s)?

4. Yeah ive looked there already, i was just wondering are all those infantry roles open to every single Infantry regiment?

Cheers for the help!

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Possibly to most regiments but with the end of the arms plot not to every Bn!
  6. No a regiment/battalion has a specific role... but the MOD and the higher rungs of the ladder can change the role of a regiment, for example the Rifles are light role, in the Royal Regiment of Scotland they have 3 light role battalions, one armoured role battalions, and an air assualt role battalion.

edit: Rifles battalions hold the roles detailed below by ugly...
  7. Ahh thank you both, i better have a proper think about and research properly which regiment i want in.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Bradders Rifles has 7 Bns and they are not all light role. 5 Rifles in paderborn are equipped with Warrior, 4 Rifles in Tidworth with Bulldog and 1 Rifles are in Chepstow learning how to shag matelots.
  9. My bad - edit my last about Rifles - cheers ugly :)
  10. I'd like to add to this as I'm not sure about something.. Is Air Assault Infantry para trained? As in do they have to do Pegasus? cheers
  11. air assualt = your walking long distances :twisted:
  12. That wont take them long....."come 'ere jack and suck mummys cock" everytime apparantly. :wink:
  13. No, not all, Air Assualt can mean jumping out of a plane, fast roping from a chopper, or getting dropped on the ground by helicopter... for example, as used earlier, the Royal Regiment of Scotland have a battalion of air assualt and the men in this battalion do not need to have done 'P' coy or a jumps course. The example I give being 5 Scots, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders - click here
  14. just join the rifles

armoured, mech, light
    and commando battalions