The 12th Army

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by happybonzo, Jul 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any information on the "12th Army"? They may have been around in Malaya just after WW2
  2. Wikipedia, 0.32 second search time: Interesting that first formation was fictional, but you can read that bit

Twelfth Army (United Kingdom)

Type above into google and see what happens.
  3. Many thanks; I had got the American bit but not the British one.
    My friend met some old chap who said that he had spent time with the 12th Army and not many people had heard of it. He is/was something very clever with radio so that would make sense
  4. Here's a bit more; it may jog someone's memory

There's also some rather good pictures on a PDF file of unhappy looking little slitty-eyed yellow chaps being told what to do do by AC2 Plonk. I'll try and get them copied on to this post
  5. I saw this thread and I'm not sure if it's still alive since the last post was back in 2011. My mother was a Welfare Officer with Toc H and was with the British 12th Army who were based on the shore of Lake Meiktila, Burma in 1946 - I have a few pictures I could post if anyone is interested.
  6. @happybonzo Is still alive if only by prescription only drugs.
  7. Going through family docs. Found dad's 'Officer's Record of Service'. includes posting orders dated 11/08/1945 and 16/08/1945 from ALFSEA to 12th Army confirms dad appointed command 2 FAMO. Also found typed history, including maps, written by dad "Operations in Burma and Assam 1942-1945." I know very little about this op (vague recollections of Chindits!) as dad died in 1973 when I was 16 but you're welcome to copies if you're interested.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Very briefly, HQ 12th Army took over in Burma in the very final stages of the campaign when HQ 14th Army was withdrawn to prepare for the invasion of Malaya. It was formed by redesignating 33 Indian Corps and commanded by the same GOC, Lt Gen Monty Stopford.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015