THC visit to Basra 'a huge success'

As reported in Private Eye:

Following Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon's trip to Iraq in June, MoD officials made a series of courtesy calls to Basra to see how his visit had been received on the ground.

In response, a wing commander of the Joint Helicopter Force quoted from The Forked Tongue', the unit's in-house newsletter, which claims to be 'published in the heat of the Iraqi sun and printed on recycled next-of-kin forms'. Its report was as follows: "The visit by the Right Honourable Geoff Hoon was lauded as a huge success for morale and a giant leap forward political progress in Iraq. 'Everyone thought the visit went exceptionally well', said Iraqi Information Minister Said Al Ali. On other pages: Pumas can lift more than Chinooks, the move to tented accommodation really is a good idea and salmon live in trees and eat pencils."

This brought a swift response from the Vice-Chief of the Defence Staff that he be supplied with a full set of copies of the magazine as a 'useful indicator of morale'. A copy of the latest edition - complete with its front page scoop "massive alchoholic orgy at Iraq's only permitted beer-making factory cancelled due to organisational errors" - has duly been sent to Whitehall.

Outstanding! :lol:

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
I read that this morning in The Eye.......excellent.

The MOD regard Private Eye as "potentially subversive" and in the late 1980s the RAF were intercepting the mail of a serving member of the RAF on the grounds that he had a subscription to Private Eye?

maninblack said:
I read that this morning in The Eye.......excellent.

The MOD regard Private Eye as "potentially subversive" and in the late 1980s the RAF were intercepting the mail of a serving member of the RAF on the grounds that he had a subscription to Private Eye?
What do they view ARRSE as then?

chimera

LE
Guess I had better use a false name for my subscription. Always wondered why my mail looked a bit battered when it arrived.

LOL

Who said Crabs had no sense of humour?

Is there an online version, or can the Light Blue send over some transcripts for re-publication? :D

PartTimePongo said:
LOL

We could find out! Here's a possible starter for you:-

The Battle of Britain was a minor skirmish on the south coast which only lasted a few weeks and most of the others have been dinning out on the few for quite some time.

That should invoke a response - say what?

Ivor

PartTimePongo said:
LOL

Detachment newsletters such as 'The Forked Tongue' are something of a tradition (oh, alright then, habit) in the RAF. I was asst editor of 'The Happy Camper' on Ex Purple Star. It provided an excellent means of poking fun at aircrew, though I shall brush lightly over the witty and popular 'you know you're a pongo when...' series :lol: These newsletters also provide some relief from the rather tedious efforts of Media Ops.

Anyway, I shall see if I can get some more examples on the boards.

I do remember one particular story that caused a sh*tstorm in RAFG back in the day, I think it might have been published in "Strike"?

A Parody advert , where the text was substituted in the punchline to read "Well you'd earn more as a Bus driver"

I remember the sh*t really hit the fan on that one , I believe the offenders were traced to a Toom Squadron , and subsequent "career limiting" interviews all round 8O