THC visit to Basra 'a huge success'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ViroBono, Aug 11, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

As reported in Private Eye:

Following Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon's trip to Iraq in June, MoD officials made a series of courtesy calls to Basra to see how his visit had been received on the ground.

In response, a wing commander of the Joint Helicopter Force quoted from The Forked Tongue', the unit's in-house newsletter, which claims to be 'published in the heat of the Iraqi sun and printed on recycled next-of-kin forms'. Its report was as follows: "The visit by the Right Honourable Geoff Hoon was lauded as a huge success for morale and a giant leap forward political progress in Iraq. 'Everyone thought the visit went exceptionally well', said Iraqi Information Minister Said Al Ali. On other pages: Pumas can lift more than Chinooks, the move to tented accommodation really is a good idea and salmon live in trees and eat pencils."

This brought a swift response from the Vice-Chief of the Defence Staff that he be supplied with a full set of copies of the magazine as a 'useful indicator of morale'. A copy of the latest edition - complete with its front page scoop "massive alchoholic orgy at Iraq's only permitted beer-making factory cancelled due to organisational errors" - has duly been sent to Whitehall.

Outstanding! :lol:
  2. now that's stlye............ 8) :D
  3. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I read that this morning in The Eye.......excellent.

The MOD regard Private Eye as "potentially subversive" and in the late 1980s the RAF were intercepting the mail of a serving member of the RAF on the grounds that he had a subscription to Private Eye?
  4. What do they view ARRSE as then?
  5. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

A pain in the Private BACK Eye?
  6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Guess I had better use a false name for my subscription. Always wondered why my mail looked a bit battered when it arrived.
  7. LOL

Who said Crabs had no sense of humour?

Is there an online version, or can the Light Blue send over some transcripts for re-publication? :D
  8. We could find out! Here's a possible starter for you:-

The Battle of Britain was a minor skirmish on the south coast which only lasted a few weeks and most of the others have been dinning out on the few for quite some time.

That should invoke a response - say what?

9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Detachment newsletters such as 'The Forked Tongue' are something of a tradition (oh, alright then, habit) in the RAF. I was asst editor of 'The Happy Camper' on Ex Purple Star. It provided an excellent means of poking fun at aircrew, though I shall brush lightly over the witty and popular 'you know you're a pongo when...' series :lol: These newsletters also provide some relief from the rather tedious efforts of Media Ops.

Anyway, I shall see if I can get some more examples on the boards.
  10. I do remember one particular story that caused a sh*tstorm in RAFG back in the day, I think it might have been published in "Strike"?

A Parody advert , where the text was substituted in the punchline to read "Well you'd earn more as a Bus driver"

I remember the sh*t really hit the fan on that one , I believe the offenders were traced to a Toom Squadron , and subsequent "career limiting" interviews all round 8O