Thats What I Call A Public Holiday

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by elovabloke, Nov 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

None Slackers Holiday
  2. A National Remembrance holiday will become just that - a holiday.

By all means make the 11th a public holiday irrespective of the day of the week on which it falls and at the same time forbid most retail outlets from opening prior to midday.

Altering the pattern of life for the entire nation if only for a few hours will bring home to all the significance of the event.
  3. Not sure whether we have a holiday because the banks are shut, or the banks are shut because its a holiday... Suspect its the latter, though I stand corrected if somebody knows better.

Anyway, I must admit I'm not sure about a remembrance day holiday monday. I suspect that most people would soon forget what the day was actually about and use if for long weekend christmas shopping in prague, a nice lie in shag, a days boozing. Maybe i've lost faith in British culture but I dont think many would spend the whole day remembering the fallen. I personally would rather keep the 11th sacred and special and not diluted by this excuse for a day off.
    Dont get me wrong, I think there should be more holidays, just this stikes me as a slackers day dressed up as a remembrance day and that strikes me as potentially disrespectful. St Georges/St Andrews day would be a much much better day to take a holiday that can actually be celebrated. 11th Nov is already a day for relflection and remembrance. Lets not cheaper the memory.
  4. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I would go further and ban all retail outlets opening. Do you remember when Sundays out was more than a trip to DIY/TESCO's/GARDEN CENTRE.
  5. Although France has more designated public holidays, they take place on the actual date, not the nearest Monday. So in any given year, a number will always fall on a Saturday or Sunday.
  6. Trafalgar day.
  7. By suggesting most retail outlets not opening until midday I meant the Tesco/B&Q/Ikea/DFS/Garden centre type retail establishments. Cafes/fast food, newsagents, petrol stations etc. should be exempt as these would be necessary logistic to support the first half of the day.