That's one hell of a first step.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Steven, Mar 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

If I was called Felix Bumgardener I suspect I would be looking for a high place to jump off of.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. He would be sponsored by red bull! They must be sponsoring tiddly winks by now!
  3. i know...he is quite popular round our alley....we will see if man can jump from the moon!
  4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Serious question for science types - at what point would he 'jump' then simply float off into space?
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Needs to be going pretty fast for that to happen at lower altitudes to overcome gravitational pull (centripetal effect). Higher up there are a couple of "sweet spots" where lunar and terrestrial gravity cancel each other out. Beyond those you'd probably be captured by Lunar gravitational force and head that way. There's a formula for those who wear coke bottle glasses involving mass and distance which would probably give you a better idea.

Sorry, forgot to add arrse, tits, girls, feck.
  7. the_boy_syrup

USAF awarded astronaught wings to X15 pilots who went up 50 miles I think that is officially space IIRC

I stand by to be corrected though.
  8. Don't quote me, but I think 'space' begins truly at 62 miles?
  9. the_boy_syrup

Were both correct Space is recognised as begining at 62 miles or 100KM
    Nasa and USAFaward astronaught wings at 50 miles.
  10. There's no clear boundary between Earth's atmosphere and space, says Dr Kevin Pimbblet, lecturer in astrophysics at the University of Queensland.
    "As we go up and up and up and up, through the atmosphere, it just becomes less and less dense," he says.
    Luckily, we humans like drawing boundaries so you can choose between several that claim to mark the 'edge of space'.
    The most commonly accepted boundary of space, says Pimbblet, as defined by the World Air Sports Federation (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale), is something called the 'Kármán line', 100 kilometres above Earth's mean sea level.
    "This line is where the atmosphere becomes too thin for aeronautical flight to happen," he says.
    After this boundary, you'd have to travel very fast horizontally (faster than the speed at which the Earth orbits the sun) to gain altitude vertically, something that isn't possible in your average aircraft.
    If you're too busy looking out the window and miss this boundary, there's another at 118 kilometres above the Earth — just above the Kármán line. This boundary, measured and drawn up just recently by a group of Canadian and US scientists, marks the spot where ions — charged particles created by solar radiation — begin to take over the atmosphere in earnest.
    Ions beyond this boundary can travel up to something like 1000 kilometres per hour or thereabouts, says Plimbblet.
  11. 690km's and you need a rocket to escpae the pull of gravity, he's only reaching stratosphere he has a long way to even reach the thermosphere.
    Any less and he would come down like a fucking meteor.
  12. What happens to his balloon and capsule? I should imagine that capsule would make a nasty dent if it hit you.