That'll teach 'em to bomb our chippy.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by sunami, Dec 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The article cites that approx 2,000 tonnes of bombage are found in the area each year... That is quite a lot of UXO.

Bearing in mind that Dresden was flattened by four raids, totalling 1300 droppers, dropping 3900 tons of bombs.
  2. Rather a lot of ours failed to go bang as intended.
  3. Kept their heads down though!!!
  4. I was told by one old Bomber Command Airman some years ago, that some bombs were deliberate duds, whilst others had long (hours or days type long) fuses. This was so that the authorities would have the added difficulty of clearing UXOs as well as rescue and recovery efforts.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

A lesson learned funny enough from the Germans.
    A lot of Bomber Command tactcs were learned after Coventry and London Blitz.
    The two waves designed to catch emergancy services out and high explosives to fracture gas and water mains plus blow windows out to let fires breathe and gain hold.
    Plus the dropping of UXB's as they cause more trouble and make the area harder to clear and recover bodies.
    Nothing like the smel and site of rotting bodies to hinder rescue work and demaralise the locals.
    I was told it wasn't unusual to have 12 hour fuses, mind a 67 year delayed fuse is a bit excessive.
  6. Ah, playing the long game. Sneaky sneaky.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Playing the 'long game'.
  8. According to the article on the beeb, on of the problems with uxo is that the Brits tested them on relatively hard ground and the ground around Berlin for example is softer, so some of the ordinance just buried into the surface without going boom.

That said, that bugger is going to look great if it goes bang as the delivery organisation intended it to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so probably should be working
  9. Live TV coverage here this afternoon, I hope it goes off! I've got it in a treble with a dead Pope and Alexander Putin being torn limb from limb in the coming year!

They dropped a similar land mine into the cloister garden at Paderborn`s Cathedral, landed on a choirboy apparently. Saved him from being bummed by all the priests!

Google-Ergebnis für
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Cue Aled Jones; "We're walking in the air"
  11. Reading the news headlines it seems that it is Germany playing the long game. Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Euro.
  12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Yup,we learnt about them on my weapons course & a lot of them were fitted with anti-tamper devices,quite crude by todays standards but effective.My late Dad was on the Dresden raid & always said it shouldn't have happened,but we were at war so fair game...
  13. I used to work a bloke who's father flew in a Lancaster. He mentioned the he was never sure if they ever hit the city intended, but they certainly bloody devastated the local farmland and outlying villages.

He also laughed at the war films where the hero brings the stricken bomber home, "that was every bloody time", they start to disintegrate the second they're out of the factory.
  14. That's about all they'll have...
    • Like Like x 1