Thatchers Cabinet V Blairs Cabinet

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by the_boy_syrup, Apr 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Given that the Flaklands war is all over the news this got me thinking
    The Falklands was the last major conflict up until now and the 'War on terror'
    So looking at the two cabinets below who do you think thought more about going to war?
    Who would you rather have been sent to war by?
    All the info is from t'internet and I've only listed MP's military service where shown

Thatchers Cabinet 1981 - 83

Margaret Thatcher: Prime Minister
    William Whitelaw: Deputy Prime Minister and Secretary of State for the Home Department :Army, Major Scots Guards MC WW2
    Francis Pym: Lord President of the Council:Army, MC and Bar WW2
    Lord Hailsham of St Marylebone: Lord Chancellor :Army, Major wounded Western Desert 1941
    Humphrey Atkins: Lord Privy Seal: Royal Navy, 1940 -1948
    Sir Geoffrey Howe: Chancellor of the Exchequer: Army, Platoon Commander East Africa
    Leon Brittan: Chief Secretary to the Treasury
    Lord Carrington: Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs :Army,Major Grenadier Guards MC
    Peter Walker: Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food
    John Nott: Secretary of State for Defence : Army Commissioned 2nd Gurkha Rifles 1952 - 56
    Keith Joseph: Secretary of State for Education and Science :Army, Royal Artillary WW2 M I D wounded Italy
    Norman Tebbit: Secretary of State for Employment :RAF Pilot
    Nigel Lawson: Secretary of State for Energy: Royal Navy officer National Service
    Michael Heseltine: Secretary of State for the Environment :Army 2nd lieutenant Welsh Guards 1959
    Norman Fowler: Secretary of State for Health and Social Security
    Patrick Jenkin: Secretary of State for Industry
    Baroness Young: Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
    James Prior: Secretary of State for Northern Ireland
    Cecil Parkinson: Paymaster-General
    George Younger: Secretary of State for Scotland
    John Biffen: Secretary of State for Trade and President of the Board of Trade
    David Howell: Secretary of State for Transport
    Nicholas Edwards: Secretary of State for Wales

Blairs Cabinet 2001 - 2005

Tony Blair — Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury, and Minister for the Civil Service:
    John Prescott — Deputy Prime Minister
    Gordon Brown — Chancellor of the Exchequer and Second Lord of the Treasury
    Lord Irvine of Lairg — Lord Chancellor
    Robin Cook — Leader of the House of Commons
    Lord Williams of Mostyn — Leader of the House of Lords
    Andrew Smith — Chief Secretary to the Treasury
    Jack Straw — Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
    David Blunkett — Secretary of State for the Home Department
    Margaret Beckett — Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
    Stephen Byers — Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions
    Alan Milburn — Secretary of State for Health
    Geoff Hoon — Secretary of State for Defence
    Alistair Darling — Secretary of State for Work and Pensions
    Estelle Morris — Secretary of State for Education and Skills
    Patricia Hewitt — Secretary of State for Trade and Industry and Minister for Women and Equality
    Tessa Jowell — Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport
    Clare Short — Secretary of State for International Development
    John Reid — Secretary of State for Northern Ireland
    Helen Liddell — Secretary of State for Scotland
    Paul Murphy — Secretary of State for Wales
    Charles Clarke — Minister without Portfolio
    Hilary Armstrong — Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury and Government Chief Whip

2. You've missed off all of the CND tags from the Blair cabinet.......... Cnuts

3. to be fair a labour cabinet of the same era would have ex service people as well
    not sure if daves cabinet would have any ex service types in it

4. This question is, in the modern idiom, a no-brainer!

5. I am definately no racist but I would rather be sent to war by the BNP then by Labour!

Blair & his cronies have truely f***ed up this country all so his missus can earn a fortune as a Human Rights lawyer! CNUT! :evil:

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I remember how badly Francis Pym came across in the war cabinets portrayal in The Falklands Play. I then looked up his background and realised he's well entitled to to his opinion with two MCs.

The question, just on ability makes blairs lot look like a bunch of truant schoolchildren by comparison. Besides look what an unholy mess they've mad of it all.

7. Lets not forget membership (while students and beyond) of militant extreme left wing Trotskyite groups - SWP etc. Plus that fine upstanding organisation 'Troops Out'.

8. I don't think that it matters which, at the end of the day it is the MOD who decide on what tactics are employed once they are ordered to war. How can this be turned into a political issue?

9. just possibly if there were a couple of people who even been on a live fire ex they might ask what happens when the plan goes tits ups :?
    although that sort of thinking is taught in good business schools unfortunatly most of nulabour are lawyers
    so it it all goes tits up bill the client x amount extra :evil:

10. Also served George Younger TD...what fascinates me is the number in blair's cabinet who have never done anything except politics or law.

11. What the **** Brighton Hippy. I hate Maggie for closing the pits but at least she had the balls to go to war and take back what is ours. This Government would sit back debating over tea and biscuits whether or not we should take back what is ours. Tony and is boyfriends would sh*t their pants and cowr in a corner rather than salvage some Patriotism and fight for what is ours. Blair and his f*ck buddies care too much about what illegal immegrants would feel like if we were to stand up for ourselves. We might offend someone somwhere. Do you think Argentina was a little bit offended? Yes, well f*ck off! They started it and we f*cking ended it! Hippy, says it all.... "to be fair" my arrse!

12. Didn't the enquiry after the Falklands basically say that that Thatcher could have averted the war after MI6 gave her plenty of warning and that it simply helped her to win the election?
    Didn't that cnut Mark Thatcher also make millions as he was an arms dealer?

13. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

First difference that springs to mind is that everyone in Thatcher's used the Gents', while in Tony's a few (apart from him, he has a nurse and one especially for him no doubt) use the Ladies'.