Thatcher on a £50 note

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
7 minutes flash to bang. Post #2:

It's like they're not even trying anymore.
Is one not allowed to have an opinion on someone if it differs from yours? Or was that a shitty attempt at white knighting the dreadful old harridan?

Off you trot. Clippety clop.

Other than the Queen (God Bless 'er) and Thatcher, there are very few women in our history whose national standing would rightly put their picture on one of our notes before a very wide choice of men - there are only four notes, and Jane Austen's already on the tenner. HM's on all of them, of course.

I really have difficulty thinking of one. Caroline Herschel is actually all that I can summon up, but she wasn't particularly photogenic; Ada Lovelace perhaps. Otherwise, we're back to Beatrix Potter and fluffy bunnies.
Can't you have this?

It doesn't matter which former Prime Minister of more modern times is touted to appear on a banknote - there will be upset and opposition to it.

If the Thatcher proposal for the £50 note is too much, try replacing her with Blair and see what happens.

It doesn't matter which former Prime Minister of more modern times is touted to appear on a banknote - there will be upset and opposition to it.

If the Thatcher proposal for the £50 note is too much, try replacing her with Blair and see what happens.
It would be fun to watch right wing snowflakes melt down after their sneering at the same thing from the left-wing ones. I don't think any partisan political figure should be put on banknotes, but I can't help liking the idea of Maggie on the 50 provided that Tony were on the other side. The simultaneous cranial explosions from all the tribalists probably could be measured on the Richter scale.

Hell's teeth. I've no doubt that a Black or 'AME' woman will be demanded by certain quarters, and our Establishment being (as it always was, admittedly) willing to appease, in order to conserve Power in select hands, I would be happy to bet a fiver that it will happen. The gross unfairness involved would be dismissed as contrary to the prayer book of the Gods of Diversity, and anyway, all white men of science owned slaves. Bastards, the lot of them, and dead.
You're probably right, it's only a matter of time before Dianne Abbot is on the £50 trillion pound note

As I get older I find I'm more open to compromise; not from a desire to avoid confrontation, more from a mischievous viewpoint. To misquote St Margaret of Thatcher and St Francis of Assisi; "Where there is harmony, may we bring discord".

In this instance, we could compromise by borrowing from Popular culture. The Pet Shop Boys last UK Number One, "Heart", from 1988 was released with two different covers, one with Neil Tennant and one with Chris Lowe, thus giving their fans the "choice" of which cover. Most buyers of the record didn't actually care, and took "dealers choice"; ie whatever was next on the pile behind the counter in HMV, however those who did actually care could ask for a "Neil" or "Chris", depending on taste.

heart.jpg

It's not clear whether the "Neil" version or the "Chris" version was more popular; in fact, it turned out that nobody of any worth gave a fucking shit.

Therefore, I propose that we have two £50 notes produced. One with St Margaret of Thatcher on it, the other with Cyril Smith.

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
A £50.00 note, I don't even know who is on the current £50.00 note.
I'd rather see her on a fiver, a lot more in circulation and will guarantee a melt down of the left. Actually whose currently on that?

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Beer.:)

Options was around '90 - '91.

Amalgamation chats were already happening mid '80's
Amalgamation/ disbandment chats happened after most wars. Pretty sure 19th Light Dragoons/ Hussars were raised at least four times. First raised during the Seven Years War, disbanded at least twice and reformed. Disbanded in 1919, then immediately reformed then amalgamated with 15th in 1922.

During the Second Unpleasantness, Churchill asked why new wartime regiments were being formed when fractional cavalry regiments could be disamalgamated. Only to have it pointed out that at the end of this one, they'd only have to do it again. Delayed until the end of the Cold War. Without it, we'd never have had that golden age.

PAYD as well.
I also remember the plastic Thatcher socks which replaced the old woollen ones.
Some good, some bad, as in most things.
PAYD definitely wasn't St Maggie. That didn't hit the streets until after PayShaft 2000, but before PensionShaft 2005. All of which was from the Treasury According to St Tony of B'Liar and St Gordonio of One'eye.

Spot on with the Thatcher Plastic Socks though, although she did disband the KF Shirt and brought in the Cotton GS shirt to even things up a little.

PAYD definitely wasn't St Maggie. That didn't hit the streets until after PayShaft 2000, but before PensionShaft 2005. All of which was from the Treasury According to St Tony of B'Liar and St Gordonio of One'eye.

Spot on with the Thatcher Plastic Socks though, although she did disband the KF Shirt and brought in the Cotton GS shirt to even things up a little.
Thanks for that.
I left in 1986 but was dimly aware (I was REME after all) that PAYD was being mooted back then. Most assumed nobody would ever be that stupid.
As for the KF shirt I had no problems with it so long as it was properly ironed on the inside. And warm when needed.

You could contact these farmers in North Wales and ask them?

The Eco pouch
Consumers are becoming increasingly concerned about product packaging and its impact on the environment. In response to this we supply milk packed in the Eco pouch, available as a third pint with a straw for children or a 1 litre pouch complete with a re-usable jug.

T: 01978 758833
F: 01978 754367
E: philip@tomlinsondairies.co.uk

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Out of curiosity, which of her policies do you consider 'barking'?
Stopping money from council house sales being used to build more council houses.

Latest Threads