Thatcher on a £50 note

Well, forces pay went up 10% and X factor by 3% just after she got in but that was announced by a Mr Jim Callaghan of Labour before she took office. The total pay rise of 19 to 38% was staged over, I think, 3 years (may have been 2) but, again, was announced by Labour in 1978 which was the year before she took up office.

Then, of course, the cuts to the forces were put on hold after the Falklands bit and she got behind the forces a bit more after that. After all, they did rescue her and assured she got voted in again in 83.

Probably give it another 100 years before she could have her picture on a banknote (if we are still using them by them, of course).
Of course not forgetting that the inflation rate was some 25-30% when the Government changed in 1979, and the largesse was mitigated by quite a large hike in food and accomodation charges. It may have been a big hike compared to today's pay increases, but it actually meant that not much more cash remained in the pocket of a lowly squaddie.....

True but the caveats -Tory- about not building more social housing have caused the current housing crisis.
I agree but...

Social housing was designed to give young working couples/families subsidised accommodation to enable them to save to get on the housing ladder. It was never meant as a permanent housing solution for the feckless.

Other than the Queen (God Bless 'er) and Thatcher, there are very few women in our history whose national standing would rightly put their picture on one of our notes before a very wide choice of men - there are only four notes, and Jane Austen's already on the tenner. HM's on all of them, of course.

I really have difficulty thinking of one. Caroline Herschel is actually all that I can summon up, but she wasn't particularly photogenic; Ada Lovelace perhaps. Otherwise, we're back to Beatrix Potter and fluffy bunnies.
Slight deviation, but I'm led to believe that Mary Seacole was once considered for an early postal stamp.

I think its ironic that Gandhi's mug is printed on all the money here in India, the activist whom pioneered India to get independance and become the shithole it still is today, ironic someone worth nothing is printed on money worth next to nothing,
is that the Nazi loving ghandi who used to sleep with young girls ?

I agree but...

Social housing was designed to give young working couples/families subsidised accommodation to enable them to save to get on the housing ladder. It was never meant as a permanent housing solution for the feckless.

No it wasn't. Council housing was intended to be a long term option.

Owning your own home was an alien concept to many in the era Council housing came in.

Slight deviation, but I'm led to believe that Mary Seacole was once considered for an early postal stamp.
Hell's teeth. I've no doubt that a Black or 'AME' woman will be demanded by certain quarters, and our Establishment being (as it always was, admittedly) willing to appease, in order to conserve Power in select hands, I would be happy to bet a fiver that it will happen. The gross unfairness involved would be dismissed as contrary to the prayer book of the Gods of Diversity, and anyway, all white men of science owned slaves. Bastards, the lot of them, and dead.

Last edited:
Hell's teeth. I've no doubt that a Black or 'AME' woman will be demanded by certain quarters, and our Establishment being (as it always was, admittedly) willing to appease, in order to conserve Power in select hands, I would be happy to bet a fiver that it will happen. The gross unfairness involved would be dismissed as contrary to the prayer book of the Gods of Diversity, and anyway, all white men of science owned slaves. Bastards, the lot of them, and dead.
In Canada, Sir John A. MacDonald (our first Prime Minister) is being chucked off the $10 bill and being replaced with Viola Desmond. Who's Viola Desmond you ask? She was a black woman in Nova Scotia who refused to sit in the balcony of a theatre in the 1940s. Her accomplishment obviously trumps that of Sir John being the Father of Confederation, according to the popular moral canons of 2018.

Not sure, because beer, if you've mixed dates up..

Thatchzilla was in 1979 -91.

1979 - 1990 actually - Thatcher was ousted in late 1990 during the preparations to liberate Kuwait. Although I refuse to paint her as the devil incarnate as the left demand, her policies often left things to be desired. If Labour had not gone as far left as they did, would she have had a free run?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
As if those that hate her would ever see a £50 note.
That was my first reaction too. Plus I doubt their hatred would extend to refusing said note if offered.

Other than the Queen (God Bless 'er) and Thatcher, there are very few women in our history whose national standing would rightly put their picture on one of our notes before a very wide choice of men - there are only four notes, and Jane Austen's already on the tenner. HM's on all of them, of course.

I really have difficulty thinking of one. Caroline Herschel is actually all that I can summon up, but she wasn't particularly photogenic; Ada Lovelace perhaps. Otherwise, we're back to Beatrix Potter and fluffy bunnies.
I vote for Linda

Latest Threads